Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am3 chips with am2 mo/bo

Options
  • 16-11-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

just been reading online that a lot of the am3 chips can be run on the am2 boards. anyone else heard of this

im in the process of selling my crosshair 2 mo/bo to get the crosshair3 but if the chips are indeed able to run on my board it would save a lot of hastle.

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz (Socket AM3

thats what im hoping to run on the board but not sure if it will work, hopefully someone knows the answer and i dont have to go out and buy a lot of ddr3 ram

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

noodletop wrote: »
    just been reading online that a lot of the am3 chips can be run on the am2 boards. anyone else heard of this

A lot? I thought all AM3 chips ran on AM2+ boards as AM3 Chips have a dual memory controller?

In any case, check the motherboard companies Website, it should list what CPUs work with your motherboard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

noodletop wrote: »

im in the process of selling my crosshair 2 mo/bo to get the crosshair3 but if the chips are indeed able to run on my board it would save a lot of hastle.

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz (Socket AM3

thats what im hoping to run on the board but not sure if it will work, hopefully someone knows the answer and i dont have to go out and buy a lot of ddr3 ram

According to Asus the Phenom 2 965 is supported with BIOS 2102 onwards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The high-end AM3 chips might have varying levels of OC limitation on AM2+ mobos.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

spent last few hours looking and this is what i've come up with

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,692425/Phenom-II-X4-965-Black-Edition-reviewed/Reviews/

was on amd website and all am3 are backward compatible with revised bios updates, unfortunatly not all mo/bo producers will be providing the updated bios revisions. most likly to force people who want to upgrade to purchase boards too:mad:
    good news is asus have provided bios updates for all am3 chips to run on am2+ boards but each chip runs diff bios prob for oc abilities.

looking around it seems gigabite will prob not be doing this:eek: guess they need the money:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I know MSI immediately rolled out updates, a few of the very cheapest mobos are still waiting for Athlon X3/X4 compatibility but otherwise they have comprehensive cover on all non-obsolete chipsets. And most manufacturers have new AM2 mobos out with the new budget chipsets (760/770) and those work with current AM3 chips from stock (all of them in the case of the former, the 770 is slightly older and again may need a BIOS update for full compatibility with the Athlon X3/X4)

• Advertisement
Advertisement