Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening Bargain Alerts Thread - Yes or No

Options
  • 16-11-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

From a thread recently there's been some suggestion on having a bargain alerts style thread for all things gardeny.

What do people think?

I've put up a poll, so people can decide and also discuss it here.

It might be difficult to manage, i.e prevent people coming in and shilling or pimping their own products, but we might be able to get around that from a technical perspective, so I'll speak with Cabaal on that if the community think it's a good idea.

Please don't post any deals/alerts etc in this thread. It's for discussion of the idea only

Do you want a Bargain Lerts Thread for the Gardening Forum? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that it is especially useful with online suppliers not necessarily for individual items. You will see from my post in Rip Off that there is a huge variation in postage charges to Ireland & many UK companies will not post here at all.

Regarding machinery it is clear that Irish dealers have not heard of the recession. I am also hearing increasing reports that Northern dealers are putting their prices up in response to demand from the South.

I think that the Shillers & Pimps (sounds like a Paisley phrase to me !) will be very easy to spot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it's a great idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

someone voted no

would they mind posting why? or if they'd like to keep it anon, feel free to PM us, and we'll take your thoughts under advisement

cheers
    MM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

From a thread recently there's been some suggestion on having a bargain alerts style thread for all things gardeny.

What do people think?

I've put up a poll, so people can decide and also discuss it here.

It might be difficult to manage, i.e prevent people coming in and shilling or pimping their own products, but we might be able to get around that from a technical perspective, so I'll speak with Cabaal on that if the community think it's a good idea.

Please don't post any deals/alerts etc in this thread. It's for discussion of the idea only

I think it's a good idea, but not sure about the concerns around shillers & pimpers, I mean, there's plenty of that going on already in sigs?

Much better to focus on buyer beware and not being caught with ex-hire, ex-display or end of line stuff etc which is fairly common in the gardening world especially equipment.

Does anyone know why there appears to be a big fall off in posting (and visitors) on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Does anyone know why there appears to be a big fall off in posting (and visitors) on this forum?

not sure as i have only been here for one calender year but possibly its a seasonal thing as there is less going on in the garden now than compared with the frenzy of the spring time.....also probable the dreaded R is having an affect as people have less money to spend on the "room outside".

• Advertisement

I think it's a good idea, but not sure about the concerns around shillers & pimpers, I mean, there's plenty of that going on already in sigs?

Much better to focus on buyer beware and not being caught with ex-hire, ex-display or end of line stuff etc which is fairly common in the gardening world especially equipment.

I would agree with caution regarding ex hire but ends of lines & ex display are often very good buys. I just bought a "graded" Honda mower which had never been used but is ex display. It was half the price & in totally new condition with a full three year warranty.

Regarding visitors/posters here there is this strange belief in Ireland that Gardening is a Summer activity. I even know of Landscapers who close from December to March - a throwback to life on the bog.

Maybe one might vote no if one was in the trade & didn't want price comparisons.

I am fairly new here but not to Boards. If there were regular posters that no longer post maybe the mods could PM them & ask why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it's because we amateur gardeners don't have many requests for advice at this time of year. Come Spring we'll be pestering everyone with questions about veg and flowers.

I think it's because we amateur gardeners don't have many requests for advice at this time of year. Come Spring we'll be pestering everyone with questions about veg and flowers.

I think its probably something like this tbh. For many people, gardening is about the "nice" summer months. For many others its also about cold and wet Octobers, digging, preparing and pottering about. Hopefully the forum will develop more, so that we'll get more than just seasonal attendance. I know for one, that I'd be happy to take on board anything that people thought we could be doing as Mods to improve things or help build a better sense of community here, I think thats something I've wanted to do from the start, so I'm deffo all ears.

Back on topic now, it seems like people would like this to happen.

As an aside (again...) has anyone seen what they do on the photography and digital arts fora, regarding items for sale or services offered? Do people think a similar idea could work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There are probably several things that might be considered, and one which might be a photo library of sorts, ie, posters can put up 3 before and 3 after images. If the content is of interest it might encourage some dialogue and that is really the lifeblood of any forum? A very simple example could also be 'Seen today' ala Motors forum, or 'Done this week' the latter might be useful for hints on what is/is not possible at the particular time of year. For example, there is some confusion regarding the seasonality of gardening/gardening tasks, but in effect, gardening is (professionally) done throughout the year, but the amateur/hobbyist gardener is busy during the 'productive/growing/fine weather months'. But for example we laid a lawn of almost 700sq m last week, and yet many will still ask when can I lay/sew a new lawn?

I think a facility for offering more access to more visual content should be considered? There should also be a sticky for gardening blogs which might be more reference sources for some.

I'm not really selling, but I know my site contains plenty of useful visual material, and I'm happy to have dialogue on boards as this is not possible on our SUNBLOG.

As an aside (again...) has anyone seen what they do on the photography and digital arts fora, regarding items for sale or services offered? Do people think a similar idea could work here?

Could you give a link to a couple of examples.

• Advertisement

I can't see any problem with doing this. Could be useful for equipment/services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

would be a good idea!

i'm going to leave this poll open til after the weekend and then we'll take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

I think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

Not very good weather for gardening ?

Advertisement