Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help please . . . . Windows 7 upgrade failure mixed with incompetent Dell Tech team

• 16-11-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

I've been at this all morning . . . .

I got a studio 17 from Dell about 7 weeks ago, was deffo wanting windows 7 but their sales staff convinced me to go ahead and get it on vista and upgrade to win 7 for free . . . . if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is huh!

Well I followed their instructions to the letter re this upgrade, which involved 2 disks, their 'assistance' disk followed by the operating system disk. The first disk stated the WLAN driver amongst a few other things needed to be uninstalled because it wasn't compatible, but it would a new version of it would be reinstalled as part of the upgrade. Was I crazy to trust this Dell disk?

I assume due to drivers being uninstalled and not reinstalled the laptop was no longer able to connect to the internet which would have been the preferred option for the upgrade installation. I proceded with the offline version as I couldn't get online. The installation was about 90% or so done when it appeared to hit a brick wall. It then went into a loop of needing to restart then when it did I would get this error message:

"Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation."

When I click ok to this the machine restarts and eventually works its way back to the same error message, like its stuck in a loop.

Been on the phone to Dell for hours and they are utterly useless, they are trying to charge a fee to even look at this, which is rediculous as its supposed to be a free upgrade and its there error.

Anyway, just hoped someone on here might have a suggestion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Having trouble upgrading from Microsoft Windows Vista to Microsoft Windows 7? Why not contact Microsoft?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SickBoy wrote: »
    Having trouble upgrading from Microsoft Windows Vista to Microsoft Windows 7? Why not contact Microsoft?
    90% of copies of windows are OEM (most of the other 10% are corporate volume licenses)
    this means NO support from Microsoft, and no moving it to other machines ever.

Back to the original question
    if there is a problem with wireless you can plug the computer into the router with a cable until you upgrade.

did you run the assistant disk again to see if it still said stuff needed to be removed

are the disks Upgrade disks ?

Advertisement