Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this a fair price for a repair?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi, my 04 Nissan Micra cut out on me the other day, engine light went on and it was sluggish when I started it again so drove it to the mechanics. I was told the time chain (think that's what it was called) is stretched and it'll cost €900 to fix, a 12 hour job I was told.

It hit me for six to be honest cause I brought it to the same place for a service only two weeks ago which cost a fair bit too. I said, should this not have been picked up during the service but I was told it has nothing to do with the engine so wasn't spotted.

Is this fair enough and is the price I've been quoted a fair assessment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Hi, my 04 Nissan Micra cut out on me the other day, engine light went on and it was sluggish when I started it again so drove it to the mechanics. I was told the time chain (think that's what it was called) is stretched and it'll cost €900 to fix, a 12 hour job I was told.

It hit me for six to be honest cause I brought it to the same place for a service only two weeks ago which cost a fair bit too. I said, should this not have been picked up during the service but I was told it has nothing to do with the engine so wasn't spotted.

Is this fair enough and is the price I've been quoted a fair assessment?
    I can't tell you what a fair price for a timing chain repair is, but I can tell you that it does seem very high.
    A lot of garages are doing timing (belt) replacements for €500 - on VW diesel engines - which are difficult to work on due to the position of the engine in the engine bay and the amount of stripping that has to take place to get at the belt.
    Maybe there is other work to be done - since the chain has "stretched". How the hell does a chain strech anyway, should it not break? Anyway, my point is to get a second opinion - from a different garage. Ring around to get a few different prices.
    Don't pay that amount if you are not happy with the quote.
    No harm in asking other garages for quotes. People do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There were major issue on almeras re timing chains stretching. I thought the micra had a whole different setup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

The timing chain does stretch on the Micras, as does the Almera. First sign of problems is lighting of the "check engine" warning light on the dash, and giving camshaft sensor fault on a fault code reader.

Last one we did was on a 03 newer shape Micra. Parts weren't too expensive, I could check but as I recall it was about 250-300 for parts. Labour is a different story. You can do the job with the engine in the car but it's easier to take the engine out and then work on it (access is difficult in the car).

At 900 for the job it's a bit expensive but not beyond reason. I would have estimated 400 approx for labour with vat and parts bringing total to 700.

Chain stretching is usually blamed on infrequent oil changes. Our one had only 23k but looked like city driving with no maintenance (brakes completly worn also). Unless warning light was on, or chain was particularly noisy, this would not have been picked up at service time.

BTW, it's a totally different scenario to changing a timing belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Did nissan cover any of the cost when relatively new cars started to suffer with this problem?
    Thats a major timebomb in a small cheap car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The timing chain stretching on low mileage Micras and 01 to 03 Almeras are a known issue.

On the Micra, it's usually easier to change the chain with the engine out on the ground due to limited access. It can be done in 8 hours I'm told by a (former) Nissan mechanic. It's the labour charge that's the real killer on these.

As for the price - I've no idea, but it'll be more expensive than a normal timing belt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I've heard about chains stretching in micras also. The situation with Nissan timing chains is ridiculous. If they were any good they would have had a recall but they seem to be ignoring the problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

I recently changed the timing chain, both guide rails, tensioner, oil and filter, on a 2002 Nissan Micra for a customer and I can assure you I didnt charge him anywhere near that amount! Maybe Im missing at trick, but that is way too expensive. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

AzureAuto wrote: »
    I recently changed the timing chain, both guide rails, tensioner, oil and filter, on a 2002 Nissan Micra for a customer and I can assure you I didnt charge him anywhere near that amount! Maybe Im missing at trick, but that is way too expensive. Where are you based?

South Dublin, going to ring around some more places tomorrow to scope out prices, simply can't afford €900.

I work South Dublin also. PM me your chassis number, reg details and engine code and contact number and I'll fix you up a quote this morn. Gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper than 900 I assure you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

AzureAuto wrote: »
    I work South Dublin also. PM me your chassis number, reg details and engine code and contact number and I'll fix you up a quote this morn. Gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper than 900 I assure you!
    wow. lets give all that info over the net. not risky at all!

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    wow. lets give all that info over the net. not risky at all!

...hence the private message. No more info than would be requested by any other professional/garage offering a quotation...but I can see where you are coming from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement