Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl / upc ?

• 16-11-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

hi,

im currently on ntl 20meg but was wondering if there would be much of a difference between that and 10meg? All i use it for is surfing, poker and alot of downloading music / film etc

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

hi,

im currently on ntl 20meg but was wondering if there would be much of a difference between that and 10meg? All i use it for is surfing, poker and alot of downloading music / film etc

thanks

downloading would be half the speed hence the twice the time to download

everything else there wouldn't be any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

hi,

thanks

About 10megs ...

* The 10meg will be cheaper
    * The 20meg will allow higher-speed downloads or more simultaneous downloads.

I'm not sure why this is a question ..

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    About 10megs ...

* The 10meg will be cheaper
    * The 20meg will allow higher-speed downloads or more simultaneous downloads.

I'm not sure why this is a question ..

i was just wondering cause i didn't think i was using the 20 meg fully so was wondering if i would notice anything specific if i changed. the highest DL speeds i ever get of direct download sites is about 2.5 meg a second so is it not true that the 10meg would also give the same? or would it be 1.25meg a second..

Thank for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i was just wondering cause i didn't think i was using the 20 meg fully so was wondering if i would notice anything specific if i changed. the highest DL speeds i ever get of direct download sites is about 2.5 meg a second so is it not true that the 10meg would also give the same? or would it be 1.25meg a second..

Thank for the replies

yes the 10meg will give you about 1.2mb a second

you are getting the full 20meg speed (2.5mb)

its about 100kbs extra download for every 1mb

1mb = 100kb
    2mb = 200kb
    3mb= 300kb
    and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

20 Megabit/s is 2.5MegaByte/s so you are using your full download, 10 would give you a max download of 1.25MB/s

lol got beaten to the punch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Damien360

Be wary of downgrading within one year of a new installation with UPC. It is in the terms and conditions that there is a charge for downgrading. See website and link to any current broadband deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Cool, Didn't actually realise that was how it worked.

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

As far I am aware there is a charge of €10 euro from upc for any change to your package. Also if you downgrade bb from 20 or 10mbs to 3mb, I think they also stick you for the €50 for the wireless router you got for free.

Advertisement