Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where in Athlone's prone to Flooding?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at moving to a house in Wolfe Tone Terrace, by the strand and the park near golden island.Looking across at the weir the Shannon looks very high. Anyone know if that terrace in particular is prone to flooding or does whatever walls/grass etc thats between the cul de sac road down to burgess park and the river stop it?

Any info welcome!
    Sp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I dont think ive ever seen floooding there, and i grew up with the auld fella bringing us out fishing in the row boat that side of the river

I wouldnt worry too much but you never know so ensure your insurance is good just in case. I would also ask some of the residents, especially the older ones to be sure.

Good location, especially in summer. Me, i wouldnt be caught dead living in town centre (suburban commando here :D), but this area is great for views if nothing else.

Good luck with the gaff! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Flooding in Athlone is to the South West. The Shannon is unlikely to burst its banks in the middle of the town. The water would have to back up till it is above the height of the Weir Wall before there would be a flood in the Town.Given the width of the river it would take absolutely massive amounts of rainfall before water would back up into the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

I dont think ive ever seen floooding there, and i grew up with the auld fella bringing us out fishing in the row boat that side of the river

I wouldnt worry too much but you never know so ensure your insurance is good just in case. I would also ask some of the residents, especially the older ones to be sure.

Good location, especially in summer. Me, i wouldnt be caught dead living in town centre (suburban commando here :D), but this area is great for views if nothing else.

Good luck with the gaff! :)

It did actually flood about 5-6 years ago, came up to the houses on wolfe tone terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

up to or in to!?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

all you ever wanted to know about flooding is now on the web

http://www.floodmaps.ie/FAQ.htm

http://www.floodmaps.ie

• Advertisement

Cheers for the suggestion but the reports leave alot to be desired on floodmaps and the level of detail and description seems to vary alot from area to area and incident to incident. Also the layers on the map and the symbols indicating there's been incidents of flooding seem to be more indicative of the general area rather than certain terraces, streets etc. In Athlone and another town I looked at anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

In Winter 2006 you had sandbags at the doors of houses on the Strand. I think it was slightly precautionary as high winds could have driven water into the homes.
    The weir was just about submerged.

http://www.monasette.com/blog/gallery/athlone/flood2006/submergedshannonweirathlone.html

http://www.athlone.ie/udc/pdfs/mins_jan_07.pdf

Not mentioned on that flood site.

So being stupid now but have they built the dwarf wall mentioned in the UDC minutes? I don't know what walls were always there or which have been built since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

They spent 35 K on the the area including the wall in 2008.

It hasn't been put to the test yet, so you're in for an interesting winter I guess.

Cheers Ressem,

Class, I love these Dirty Harry, 'do you feel lucky' moments!

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

there's no better time than now to see if an area is prone to flooding. The shannon was right up to the top pf the wall in the town last night. Take a walk around and see who has sand bags out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Today would be a good day to check out the town. Apparently Golden Island and around Seans is under water. They mentioned a couple other places too.

Check the news on Midlands103 radio. Joe Duffy mentioned it too,a nd its expected to get worse as the water from the northern counties drains into the shannon and makes its way to the town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

clonown and clonbonny tend to get the worse of it. roads get cut off. some in clonown had to vacate their homes in or around 2006/2007. north of the town at the mouth of lough ree, the islands are swaped, but there are few houses around the effected areas. the bridge near roslevin lawn can be hairy enough

as far as wolfe tone terrace, the worse i saw it was it came onto the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Wolfe Tone Terrace is badly flooded at he moment (I mean it IS directly on the Shannon) my cousin sent me a few pic of his garden in WTT, looks more like a lake than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gwydion

Advertisement