Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George Burley sacked

• 16-11-2009 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

No surprise, next!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

About time, his results were awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

could've potentially been a legend at Hearts if it wasn't for Romanov.

sorry to see how things are turning out for him management-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Possible return for Walter Smith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He can't argue with his results anyways, who's next?

Smith and McCoist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Poor set of results and not a great squad of players to work with. Let's hope he gets back into club management.

Just saw the interview with Graeme Souness. The beard actually suits him. He's ruled himself out of the job.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_5697346,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brian Kerr? Currently working miracles with butchers, bakers and whale killers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

To be fair, that's a tough job.

Expectations are fairly high, ability and experience levels are at a low especially with the Old Firm in a rut.

Need an outside and experienced manager I'd imagine, but given the way the Berti Vogts era went I doubt the SFA will take that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

In all fairness, he did do well with the squad and had a respectable enough qualifying campaign for the world cup

The 3-0 defeat cost him dearly

Are you joking?! He did appallingly bad, everyone one of the teams in Scotlands group (excluding Holland) should have arrested for crimes against football. Shocking standard of football from themselves and Norway who finished second, a full 15 points behind Holland, thats pitiful.

His results were awful, and getting beaten 3-0 by Wales says it all. They are not world beaters but at the same time they are much better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

1. Craig Levein 9/4
    2. Joe Jordan 11/2
    3. Walter Smith 6/1
    4. Gary McAllister 15/2
    5. Darren Ferguson 15/2
    6. Leo Beenhakker 10/1
    7. Billy Davies 12/1
    8. Ally McCoist 12/1
    9. Kenny Dalglish 12/1

who would be that mad to take over Scotland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He was rather useless, not surprised at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Headshot wrote: »
    1. Craig Levein 9/4
    2. Joe Jordan 11/2
    3. Walter Smith 6/1
    4. Gary McAllister 15/2
    5. Darren Ferguson 15/2
    6. Leo Beenhakker 10/1
    7. Billy Davies 12/1
    8. Ally McCoist 12/1
    9. Kenny Dalglish 12/1

who would be that mad to take over Scotland ?

Leo Beenhakker, he'd manage Greenhills Boys under 11's if you threw a few quid at him.

mike65 wrote: »
    whale killers...

huh huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'd say its gonna be Fergie*

*Fergie junior that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

They need an Italian.

They are so in right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

About ****ing time. Lost the dressing room, lost the fans and had a dysmal record.
    The man took us from a team who beat France twice in qualifying, pushing them and Italy to the final minutes of the group, to a team who were getting thumped by Norway.

God knows who'll want to clean that mess up though.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Calderwood would jump at the chance to manage Scotland but it would'nt surprise me if auld Walter played his get out of jail card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Jim Jefferies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Calderwood would jump at the chance to manage Scotland but it would'nt surprise me if auld Walter played his get out of jail card.

What jail is he in exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Scotland have time, they can wait and see who becomes available. If they were to appoint someone Scottish, then of the favourites Ferguson, Calderwood or McAllister are the ones with no club at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone suggested Steve Nicol elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The SFA made a mess of this aswell

The gave him a vote of confidence after the WCQ then decide to sack 2 friendlies later.

Jimmy Calderwood isnt good enough
    John Collins isnt experienced enough for the problems within the setup
    Smith might, Rangers are playing a dangerous game with his contract
    Strachan would have been a solid choice for the job but the SFA sat on their hands and now he's in a job.
    Levein? That would be taking a good manager out of the SPL, the league doesnt need to be weakened even further but the SFA wont care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm very much in the camp that feels sympathy. Its a poor team he has at his disposal , a very poor team. Wales beating them comfortably was no shock to me, so I do not see how it was an embarresment of the result, I think Scotland are falling into a past irish mentality, think they should be achievement more then they should.

Its hard to see what happend on the training pitch, the fact is he may have been giving good direction, but had a bunch of dopes who couldnt follow his instructions.

I know I have a faiytale view on managers getting sacked, but I think it funny when managers get the sack when clearly its a bunch of ****ter players that didnt perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm very much in the camp that feels sympathy. Its a poor team he has at his disposal , a very poor team. Wales beating them comfortably was no shock to me, so I do not see how it was an embarresment of the result, I think Scotland are falling into a past irish mentality, think they should be achievement more then they should.

Its hard to see what happend on the training pitch, the fact is he may have been giving good direction, but had a bunch of dopes who couldnt follow his instructions.

I know I have a faiytale view on managers getting sacked, but I think it funny when managers get the sack when clearly its a bunch of ****ter players that didnt perform.

It could conceivably just be the other way round also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It could conceivably just be the other way round also

That is entirely true alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ziggy wrote: »

Turkeys dont vote for christmas. The incompetence of the SFA/SPL/SFA is only rivaled by the FAI

The general fitness level of the Scottish player isnt exceptional either. e.g. Scott Brown will go off drinking/fighting at any opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Eirebear wrote: »
    What jail is he in exactly?

Between him letting the cat out about the Lloyds man on the board, the club being in a mess at the moment and no funds to improve the squad he does seem to be unsettled at the minute. Dont take me wrong Walter is the best man that ye had in my time but his contract is up in January and I do believe he is the right man for the job. Theres a strong rumour doing the rounds that spurs are also on the verge of taking McGregor on loan for the rest of the season, if thats true you could'nt blame him if he did take it.

Advertisement