Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-worming kitten

Options
  • 16-11-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi, Just looking for some advice, I have a kitten that I am trying to de worm, The instructions on the medicine packet says that he should have the medicine in his food for 3 days in a row but he wont go near it, I havnt given him anything else to eat all day in the hope that he will get hungry enough and then eat it. Not really sure what else to do, I dont want him to go hungry but he needs this medicine, Has anyone any tips

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

is it liquid medicine or tablets you are trying to give him?
    the advice i got from the dspca when we were giving liquid to our cat was put it in a small amount of cat milk, just enough to take away the taste but not so much that they wont finish it... it worked for a few days on pickle because he doesn't get cat milk regularly.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

thanks tfak85 for that, Its a powered medicine and he is still not going near it, I think I might have a look for a tablet or the liquid form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Tablets would be better. Animals have an uncanny way of knowing when medicines are added to their food

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

You could try mixing it into a little bit of pate or liver paste, the shelter suggested it to me and it worked for my lady. You need to mix it well, and not too concentrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

How old is the kitten? As far as I know your only meant to give the liquid wormer to them under 3 months old. I recently had 4 three/four week old kittens and the vet gave me a bottle of this and a syringe. The best way was to just squirt it in their mouths as aparantly it tastes vile!
    They said to give them a quarter a ml every week for 4 weeks!

My other cats wont touch food that has tablets in it even crushed up. Have to give them the drops on their necks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dragonrider

How old is the kitten and has it been wormed before? If you use a strong smelling food like a bit of tuna as cats are very scent driven and if they smell anything they won't touch it, you need to try and cover the smell. Other than that you could use a tablet, the milbemax do a 'palatable' tablet that you drop in to dry food and they eat it like a biscuit, I have had some sucess with this but i find the best method is to get pill dispenser. You will prob need to get your vet to demonstrate how to use it first and once you get the knack its brilliant. Also you could try profender the drop on wormer - size depends on the age of kitten. If it hasn't been wormed before you are as well tocheck worming protcol with your vet/ vet nurse to ensure you get the dose correct, nothing worse than thinking your right and finding little spagetti like bits in the litter tray when you DON'T want to see em!!!!

Advertisement