Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my german shepherd

Options
  • 16-11-2009 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi i was wondering would anyone of ever had dealings with there dog dismantling there wooden shed? i have a 14month old german shepherd dog. he is well behaved and doesnt destroy anything in the house apart from the odd pair of socks. but when i leave him out the back to go to work he destroys my shed by literally ripping the wooden slats off it and when i get hom the garden is littered with the contents of the shed.

anyone any ideas how to stop this>?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Provide more entertainment/stimulation. This kind of behaviour is typical of a bored dog. I would suggest giving him a stuffed kong to keep him occupied, you can get really big durable ones for large breeds. If he is the type of dog who would entertain himself with toys then by all means lgive him some non-destructable toys to play with however a lot of dogs only play with toys of their owner initiates play or if they have another dog to play with.

You didn't mention how long he's left alone for. If it's a long period of time like 6-8 hours then you really should organise for someone to drop by and take him for a short walk or even play fetch with him in the garden.

Good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

My puppy does this to his kennel. Luckily at the moment he's only on the door I don't know what I'll do when he moves to the inside of it :eek:
    He does it for teething and leaves loads of bits of wood all around his pen that he's chewed off.

This seems to be typical of his breed or at the least a family trait! His breeder had to put metal strips around the door of his moms kennel as she used to do the same.

I have been advised to spray lemon juice on it to stop him chewing it but sure he loves everything he's not supposed to :rolleyes:

You could catch him in the act and give him a squirt of water in the face. Done enough times he should associate eating the shed with a not so nice spray of water in the face and stop.

Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

We have a 9 month GSD who is very destructive if left alone for long periods. Which only happens every so often as my OH works from home and we have another dog so she is never completely alone.

However, when they are left alone, to stop her eating everything in sight, we stuff Kongs with the Kong biscuits, Pate, We freeze Natural Yogurt with some of their kibble in it and on very special occasions we freeze some chunks of chicken with rice and some gravy. It keeps them entertained for ages. We also bring them for a quick spin around the park before we head off.

There are so many interactive toys out there from bubble machines to automatic tennis ball flinger's things to keep them busy.

Advertisement