Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Promoting website to foreign language countries

• 16-11-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi all,

Ok, my site is doing pretty well in Google and I'm confident I can keep it up there. Now, the site is in English and I have a google translator built in. I want to keep the site in English but I want it to be found better in Greek, Russian and Romanian searches.

Anyone got any idea how to go about this? Without translating the entire site? I need to keep it English as all contact must be made in English.

Any advice appreciated..

DwaneD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

The simple answer is translate the site.. don't try cut corners it never works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Thanks tomED,

So run the site in the languages I want on the same domain? My real concern is communications after contact as they would have to be carried out in a maximum of two languages. From experience the robot translators really don't work very well on a professional level.

Thanks for your input though, I will consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Register domains that cover the target countries

You could provide basic info in those languages and note that the translation is being provided simply as a courtesy ..

If you're looking for translators try http://www.proz.com for freelancers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Thanks Blacknight, I'll have a good look into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

dwaned wrote: »
    Thanks tomED,

So run the site in the languages I want on the same domain? My real concern is communications after contact as they would have to be carried out in a maximum of two languages. From experience the robot translators really don't work very well on a professional level.

Thanks for your input though, I will consider it.

It really comes down to what you are trying to achieve. For example, are you trying to get to the top for the translated phrases or are you trying to show a presence in those countries?

If it's the latter, go the route that Blacknight suggests - if however you just want to be found for those keyphrases, research your target keyphrases and see what the competition is like. The likelihood is that it will be pretty low (depending of course of your are of expertise), so therefore rather than having to promote 3 or 4 different domain names, you could use the authority already built up by for your existing domain name.

We recently went the geo-targeting route for a client (ie presence in different countries) using subdomains... e.g. fr.domain.com, it.domain.com and used Google's Webmaster Tools to geo-target them to the specific country. We translated all content too and this has been hugely successful.

Key point is - decide whether you are targeting keyphrases or country first, then worry about how you are going to achieve it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement