Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Bad hip Pain

• 16-11-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi Girls (& Guys if you can help)

We're having our 3rd but this time Mom is having real bad hip pain, leading to lack of sleep and head pains and then generally me getting the head taken off me verbally.

Can anyone out there offer any advice on how this can be eased or something can be done to lessen the pain so more sleep can be obtained, thereby indirectly removing me from target line.

i wish there was a way I could help, anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Is the pain all the time or just when lying down?

How many weeks is mum?

How young are the other 2 children and is she having to do a lot of picking them up and carring them around on her hips?

During pregnancy the pelvis relaxes and becomes quite unstable which can lead to alot of pain and discomfort. I had quite alot of hip/pelvic pain and found that a support belt really helped when being up and about. I bought it from the physio in the hospital I work in, but I'm sure you can get them online.

I still find that my hips get quite uncomfortable at night as I am so giant now that I can only lay on one side or the other. I found that having a pillow under my feet/between my knees/anywhere that suits... has helped me sleep better at night.

She should say to her midwife/obstetrician at her next antenatal appointment about the discomfort as they may be able to refer to a physio, depending on what hospital she is attending and the services available.

Gentle exercise, such as swimming or yoga can also help. I'm doing pregnancy yoga and have found it very beneficial, especially with leg cramps!

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Is the pain all the time or just when lying down?

How many weeks is mum?

How young are the other 2 children and is she having to do a lot of picking them up and carring them around on her hips?

During pregnancy the pelvis relaxes and becomes quite unstable which can lead to alot of pain and discomfort. I had quite alot of hip/pelvic pain and found that a support belt really helped when being up and about. I bought it from the physio in the hospital I work in, but I'm sure you can get them online.

I still find that my hips get quite uncomfortable at night as I am so giant now that I can only lay on one side or the other. I found that having a pillow under my feet/between my knees/anywhere that suits... has helped me sleep better at night.

She should say to her midwife/obstetrician at her next antenatal appointment about the discomfort as they may be able to refer to a physio, depending on what hospital she is attending and the services available.

Gentle exercise, such as swimming or yoga can also help. I'm doing pregnancy yoga and have found it very beneficial, especially with leg cramps!

Hope this helps!

Hi and thanks shes about 22 weeks so just over half way.. Tried the belt but to no real avail, kids are young and we're trying to ensure she doesnt have much picking up but their not dependant young (5 and 2)

Yea she met with the hospital physio and had work done.. i like he gentle excercise Idea.. she loves Yoga so I'll mention that also to her,

Best of luck to you, bless ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i have a bad right hip from a major fall down stairs 6 years ago i'm 35 weeks now and i have to say the only thing that gave me any relief was my osteopath... she can have this done after 16 weeks and it may give her some relief .. my hip was pulling on my pelvis thus causing severe pelvic pain too... but physio, yoga, hot relaxing baths and osteopath will work .. also stay away fron the hoover mop sweeping brush anything that pulls her arms across her body ironing washing machine dryer all these things put stress on the muscles surrounding the hip and can lead to more pain..other than that there's not much else she can do except be very careful the slightest thing will upset it and the pain is unbearable..but it sounds like you are very supportive and that's half the battle!!! :D

Advertisement