Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spate of robberies in Newbridge

Options
  • 16-11-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi...anyone else aware of the huge amount of burglaries going on in the Newbridge area over the last weeks...months? Got a note in the door this evening saying a number of the houses in the estate I live in were robbed Friday...scary stuff. Anyone have anything to say on this/advice?? I am a little freaked out it has to be said!!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have not heard of any where I am living in Newbridge,

When I was living in Knocklyon Dublin 16 we got a note in the door from some security company about the recent spate of robberies in the area and they had a big notice up in the local spar stating the same.

They were trying to flog security systems, I lived in the area for 3 years and that notice was always there nor did I hear of any robberies around me.

Any way I have an eircom phonewatch alarm and feel pretty secure with it , if people dont have an alarm in this day and age there just asking for trouble in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

The note was not from a company it was from the estates residents association and the Gardai....! So dont think either of them will make money from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

One estate was definitely targeted last week by a Dublin gang, and at this time of the year there's usually a spike so be vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Can you say which estate....wondering if more than the one I'm in was targeted??!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

aodh_rua wrote: »
    One estate was definitely targeted last week by a Dublin gang, and at this time of the year there's usually a spike so be vigilant.

To be brutally honest it does not have to be a dublin gang. Plenty of scumbags here in Newbridge without having to import them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Scruff101 wrote: »
    Can you say which estate....wondering if more than the one I'm in was targeted??!

I know Wellesley Manor was one, there may have been more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 xX Batman Xx

Moorefield park was robbed wtice in last week... They jump over the garege foors and in the back..!!! I withnessed one happed, long story....

Bad spelling im in a rush...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Ra1ph

More burglary's last night in Newbridge. I know for sure a house in The Oaks robbed. They were even up in the attic presumably looking for Christmas toys. Gardai said one of four carried out last night around Newbridge. They have advised that if you are going out, leave on the TV or Radio and a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

aodh_rua wrote: »
    I know Wellesley Manor was one, there may have been more.

A friend of mine had his car stolen there a few weeks ago, from his driveway.
    Car is still missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Phenoxan

Yes. Its happening a hell of a lot. I live in Dominics park and a lot of the houses have been knocked over including my next door neighbour. She opened he front door and the were walking downstairs with her computer.

Im a nocturnal person and about 3 weeks ago i was checking on my daughter at about 4am and something cought my eye out the window. 2 lads had jumped my back fence and were walking towards my back door so i put the bedroom light on and they scarpered.

I felt safer when i Lived in Liverpool. Newbridge is a small town and the crime is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 melnsw

Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking about buying a house in Roseberry Hill and are wondering if anyone can tell us about the area, both good and bad. We live in Dublin and have 2 small children and want to get out before they start school. I told a friend today and she said Newbridge is a kip, there is lots of crime in the area and she wouldnt feel safe there, especially on a night out after the pubs have closed.

Has anyone had any bad experiences? Houses been burgled? Attacked walking home from the train at night? Anything you could tell us would be good.

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

melnsw wrote: »
    Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking about buying a house in Roseberry Hill and are wondering if anyone can tell us about the area, both good and bad. We live in Dublin and have 2 small children and want to get out before they start school. I told a friend today and she said Newbridge is a kip, there is lots of crime in the area and she wouldnt feel safe there, especially on a night out after the pubs have closed.

Has anyone had any bad experiences? Houses been burgled? Attacked walking home from the train at night? Anything you could tell us would be good.

Thanks

Newbridge is far from a Kip ,

Getting attacked walking home from the train station is a load of rubbish too.

I have lived in Newbridge since August 08 and have not had a moments bother in the area (Bar some sheep from the Curragh, but thats another thing altogether :D )

My OH is a teacher in the area also and like any other area in the country you have some bad and some good kids.

I often park up in the train station and go to Dublin and on many occasions I have walked up and home without any issues.

The area is very well kept and has great amenities.(24 hours tesco,whitewater shopping centre,All major banks,Credit Union, Garages, DIY stores, Electrical stores, )

We actually had a deposit down on Roseberry Hill , but found Kilbelin Abbey by accident and ended up buying there .

The town empties out fairly lively after the pubs have closed and I have never seen any hassle up there .

You will get home robberies where ever you live , I have eircom phone watch installed and work nights sometimes and the OH always feels safe at home on her own with the 2 dogs .

The Garda station is prob within a 5 minutes drive to most estates in the area.

Hope this helps ,

I dont have a moments regret since moving here .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 melnsw

Thanks for the info. Feel a little better now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Dont mean to put you off, I love Newbridge myself! But lately I have noticed a rough element to the town for the first time ever, heard myself (doesn't mean its definately true) there has been 6 stabbings in the past 3 weeks, today someone I know had their house broken into, recently there seems to be a lot of crime going on with many robberies happening throughout the town, and also without wanting to paint them all with the one brush, there has been a visible increase in the amount of the travelling community throughout the town, now having said that I havn't experienced any trouble with them but I know they have a reputation.

May not have been exactly what you wanted to hear but just thought I'd let you know what I have heard anyway!

6 Stabbing's are you for real ???

It would be all over the news .

There was a stabbing in Nass at the Tougher petrol station involving two polish nationals , have not heard of any other incidents .

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

melnsw wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Feel a little better now. :D

Sorry for saying this and I’m not trying to run down one area over the other but I’d advise you to take a walk through Newbridge ( backstreets) any time of the day or week and you’ll find People drinking cans, scum hanging around. I’m originally from a rough part of Dublin myself and I’d consider Newbridge to be on Par with those areas of Dublin. Now that is not to say that nice people don’t live there but there is an element.

Also take a bit of Pub crawl through Newbridge and decide for yourself the type of area it is. I’m not sure if that’s a fair reflection on the area but it’s just my opinion, I’d think very wisely before making up your mind because it will be you that has to live there. Also it worth remembering with large town populations (about 20,000) you will get a bad element.

fruitbats wrote: »
    Sorry for saying this and I’m not trying to run down one area over the other but I’d advise you to take a walk through Newbridge ( backstreets) any time of the day or week and you’ll find People drinking cans, scum hanging around. I’m originally from a rough part of Dublin myself and I’d consider Newbridge to be on Par with those areas of Dublin. Now that is not to say that nice people don’t live there but there is an element.

Also take a bit of Pub crawl through Newbridge and decide for yourself the type of area it is. I’m not sure if that’s a fair reflection on the area but it’s just my opinion, I’d think very wisely before making up your mind because it will be you that has to live there. Also it worth remembering with large town populations (about 20,000) you will get a bad element.

For me there seems to be two sides to Newbridge,

The area behind the main street does look fairly dodge, but I have not seen any wrongdoing so I wont judge the book by its cover.

Most of the newer estates seem very nice although in saying that I have heard some bad things about Roseberry Hill,

http://www.neighbours.ie/roseberryhill/forumdisplay.php?f=5

They seem to have a good residents committee up there to try and deal with any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Most of the newer estates seem very nice although in saying that I have heard some bad things about Roseberry Hill,

The area around Roseberry Hill is fine. There is a very small anti-social element that comes from the Rosconnell Estate (and indeed from within Roseberry Hill itself) but I guess that's expected for large estates.

I have had 0 problems since moving to Newbridge a couple of years ago and am very happy with the facilities offered by the town and am very happy with my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

To be honest, this is happening all over Kildare and indeed everywhere at the moment. I read the thread on Roseberry where people were saying they heard their door handle being tried at 5am along and then a diesel van scuttling off.

My door handle was tried there about 2 months back at around 5am. Just happened to be heading to the loo in the landing and saw a shadow approach. Do you know who is going around at that time. The skangers posting those crappy clothes leaflets in the doors. They try door handles, car doors, etc, so be very careful. They are going around at 5am in old yellow reg diesel vans.

It is rumoured that the law is going to change to stop these wasters, for me it cant come soon enough. Please do not give them any clothes, either, you are only encouraging them. I'd rather throw them in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Baroda Court, Weselly Manor and Connell Drive were are burgled recently. But before this there were very few robberies.

Newbridge is grand. There is a minor travelling community most of whom are grand. Most of the scumbags have grown up now. At night the town is usually dead bar weekends. If your looking for a house I would suggest the Whyth end of town including Liffey Hall etc. They would probably be the safest places in Newbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 keelan08

I moved to newbridge from dublin a few months ago with my son and i can honestly say that i will never again live in dublin, i love living in newbridge and as for fights i never see anything. there is one road at the back of the town that i dont like but only because its a bit run down and there does be sometimes people hanging around, but i live in college orchard and it is so quiet down this way that i never see or hear anything.
    Before i moved here i came down a few times to get a feel for the area so prob best to check out a few estates before moving in. and as for rosberry i have heard nothing but good things about it from people that live there. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scoff

There has been a ridiculous amount of burlarys in Newbridge. Ireland's most notorious burglary gang are actually living in piercetown near the train station. They forced the old man who used to live there out, they terrorised him and made him accept €100,000 less than his asking price for the house. There was a story about them in the sunday news of the world.

I live in the ballymany area and I caught two lads breaking into a house a few months back, one of them went for me with a bloody screwdriver. Just 3 weeks ago I caught two guys, about 18 or 19 trying to get into my house at about 6 in the evening, and I live in a very quiet estate.

I had just worked a night shift and was in bed but woke up and chased them away with a baseball bat. They had a 04-KE silver skoda octavia waiting for them around the corner. The two lads had actually been hanging around, scoping out our estate a month previously. The garda in charge of our neighborhood watch called around and said that as well as the lot in piercetown, a family of travelers have moved into moorefield drive and since they have arrived burglary's have skyrocketed in that area.

Newbridge is a great place but it has gotten so bad in the past year. My cousin is a gard and she told me that gangs from Dublin are coming down here to target houses as well because we have less police. The national average of gards is one for every 270 people, in Kildare its one for every 580, the lowest in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I believe a lot of the reason for the increase in robberies can be directly linked to those 'no questions asked' shops that buy your gold. They are a blight on this country. Two people I know have been burgled and only had their jewellery taken, things like laptops were left behind because they are harder to fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Damien360 wrote: »
    To be brutally honest it does not have to be a dublin gang. Plenty of scumbags here in Newbridge without having to import them.

Newbridge's finest:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/cab-seizes-8364275000-in-assets-from-gang-couple-2163177.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

those cash for gold shops gotta go:mad:.....all i know is that if some breaks into my house they goin to get severly fuked up:rolleyes:.2 dogs,defensive weapon(dogs,recently caught an intruder trying to break into the neighbours house woke all the neighbours up and we got to see the chaps running for it)house alarms being updated lik crazy dwn here.everyone keeping an eye out for each other here in connell drive,in january of this year 4 cars were broken into although they were locked and no damage done to them:eek:money and cd's taken

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sum Sea

any one know what its like in baroda ct in newbridge .is it a good or bad area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

im in connell drive ,great area,never been burgled myself but last summmer installed a HKC system..had a professional security company check it for me after i did wrk experience with them and he was very happy with the setup....every where you go no matter what county you will always find crime..once u have good neighbours that keep an eye out is even better! crime is rising but not just in newbridge!my cousine lives in kildare town and he and his bud decided to head up town(parents were gone for a walk) and the 2 of them past his house but decided not to go in and grab some money...lucky him when they went home half an hour later the house was trashed and under his duvets were his 2 samurai swords that the scumbags took of the wall and were goin to use them if they were disturbed!he wud usually run straight into the house and upstair,,wudnt even think of anyone bein in there!!!scary stuff:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 openminded1

damien360 if you actually knew these people you were talking about your story would be very different, first of all the stokes and the connors do talk and get along they are in the same business they are going to be competitive, as for the look outs along the road when this "mysterious" lorry arrives is due to it being a busy road with kids on it if people are on the road its usually to unload and make sure there are no accidents! these are honest people living in newbridge all of there life trying to make a living and yes are paying their taxes and revenue like any other business. just because they have nice things means their dodgy! these people and when i say these people i mean these two men you have slammed have worked hard all their lives with no help from anyone and you decide to judge instead of praise.its always the people with nothing to show for their life and dont work and probably on the dole im not saying you damien360 but people in general decide its ok to judge and blame travellers for an area being rough.i know theses people personally so i actually know what im talking about!!!

but do you personally know these two people to say what they are and what their not! just because someone has the same name and their travellers doesnt mean their related!

• Advertisement

plenty of settled people who are drug lords,murders and rapists should we view all settled people the same? good and bad in everyone, i live on that road and can tell you for a fact that those to families have never been in or caused any trouble! other travellers with the same name could be out doin wrong why should they be labelled for it cos they have the same name?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement