Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation

Options
  • 16-11-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I've just bought a house with no attic insulation. Just wondering what type of insulation to use? I'd only really know about standard 4" or 6" fibreglass.

Also if I was to dry line the external walls and insulate, what kind of insulation would I use in the walls?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Daragh86 wrote: »
    I've just bought a house with no attic insulation. Just wondering what type of insulation to use? I'd only really know about standard 4" or 6" fibreglass.

Also if I was to dry line the external walls and insulate, what kind of insulation would I use in the walls?

You should aim for 300mm of fibreglass insulation in the attic.
    150 for inbetween the joists and 150 blanketed over that again. This would bring you in line with modern standards.

Depending on the condition of the walls.

on a cavity wall you could nail 50mm battons to the wall at 400mm(or 600mm to save time and money) spacings.
    cut in 50mm kingspan (PU Board)
    then slab with an insulated plaster board.

will leave your home nice and toasty.

It will cost ya though. should pay for itself in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will be converting the attic in the next two or three years so maybe I should leave the second layer of fibreglass over the top of the rafters for now?

Also, is there a big difference between insulation values of fibreglass and kingspan? It's just I can get big discounts on fibreglass, can't with kingspan.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

try B and Q they always doign deals BOGOF on insulation

paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Daragh86 wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will be converting the attic in the next two or three years so maybe I should leave the second layer of fibreglass over the top of the rafters for now?

Also, is there a big difference between insulation values of fibreglass and kingspan? It's just I can get big discounts on fibreglass, can't with kingspan.

Thanks for the help.
    yeah there is a big difference. different brands have a slight difference to each other in PU board. It generally has twice the value of the same thickness compared to regular fiberglass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

if you are leaving standard attic.

300mm, 150/150 as above is the best solution for attic.

if you are converting.

what size rafters do you have ?
    if stardard 6x2.
    put 100mm rafterloc or alternative (Polyiso) board with insulation plasterboard on the internal side.
    put in 100/150 rockwool inbetween floor joists to reduce sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Insulation is 2 for 1 in B&Q at the moment - I was just there.

Advertisement