Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slightly different type of spam in threads

Options
  • 16-11-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

First off, hopefully this is best suited to helpdesk and not feedback.

I've noticed a few spam messages in some threads recently. Essentially they follow the format of taking a line from a previous message and reposting it, sometimes with a word or two added. The message also has links to the site being spammed at the bottom, and it's usually from one post users.

Examples http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63034237&postcount=10 and http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62987653&postcount=8

Though you'll have to view the full thread to see the lines are just clipped from previous replies, I assume it's being done to pimp the linked websites.

Am I right in thinking these are nothing more than spam? I've only noticed a few of them so far, and they're probably not so obvious that they're immediately flagged, but I've reported one, and it wasn't removed or the user infracted.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thanks for the heads up Mike.
    It is indeed spam.
    Feel free to report such posts and they will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Nice one, will do :)

It didn't even register with me as possible spam until I saw the second post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It was sneakily done by pretending to put it in their sig.
    However a newbie is unable to have a sig for this very reason and requires 25 posts on the site before it is possible.

Advertisement