Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24th November

• 16-11-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Are we off, because of the strike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Granted Lecturers are public sector workers I do feel it would be extremely blasé of them to take part in the strike considering the amount they earn a year. I do appreciate that it takes a certain amount of talent and a great deal of hard work to get them to the position they are in and they should be remunerated commesurately though.

Nevertheless, there are more Public Sector workers in UL other than Lecturers and that would be a different kettle of fish although I understand most jobs at 3rd level are rewarded pretty well.

So, to sum it up; I doubt it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dazzaq07

cson wrote: »
    Granted Lecturers are public sector workers I do feel it would be extremely blasé of them to take part in the strike considering the amount they earn a year. I do appreciate that it takes a certain amount of talent and a great deal of hard work to get them to the position they are in and they should be remunerated commesurately though.

Nevertheless, there are more Public Sector workers in UL other than Lecturers and that would be a different kettle of fish although I understand most jobs at 3rd level are rewarded pretty well.

So, to sum it up; I doubt it. :)

My father is a secondary teacher and he says we're off??? But im not 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Unite, which represents 60,000 workers nationwide, said this evening an overwhelming majority of its 6,000 members who work in the public sector have voted in favour of industrial action. The union mainly represents craft workers in local authorities as well in the health and education sectors.

Irish regional secretary Jimmy Kelly said in each of the areas it represents members had responded with between an 80 and 95 per cent vote in favour of industrial action.

“Unite will stand shoulder to shoulder with other trade unions as we make this Government aware of the strength and depth of feeling against the wrong headed policies which it is attempting to force on the Irish people and which will only lengthen the current economic crisis in which we find ourselves.”

“The economy needs stimulus, not strangling. It is possible to fund this without even reaching the EU average of debt levels but we are being led instead down a path that will lead to ruin and hardship”, he said.

Afaik, Unite is the main union of UL's workers...Surely someone with access to the staff mailing lists will be more aware of the issue as I'm sure Unite has circulated a memo to the staff campus community?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

No one seems 100% sure yet, we were talking about it in a tutorial this morning. There'll be confirmation by the end of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Surely someone with access to the staff mailing lists will be more aware of the issue as I'm sure Unite has circulated a memo to the staff campus community?

Not yet. I wait with bated breath...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

ergonomics wrote: »
    Not yet. I wait with bated breath...

As do I, remember the furore when UNITE voiced it's opposition to Lisbon... No doubt the usual respondents will voice their opinions :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Not forgetting when the KBS Canteen closed at 14.17!!! The horror!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Update: UL voted not to support UNITE, lectures are going ahead... From Raymond Friel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Showing the way forward as ever, UL :)

Christ I really would love to kick some sense into Trade Union leaders. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This isn't the relevant forum for discussing whether the strikers have a point or whether the unions have a rational complaint. That would belong in the Irish Economy for Politics forums. There's even a long thread going on in Irish Economy about the issue right now. Feel free to discuss the issue of whether the strike is justified or not over there, but not here unless you can give it a specific UL slant, which hitherto none of you have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

out of interest DCU also voted no to striking by small minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Business as usual on the 24th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

john_cappa wrote: »
    Business as usual on the 24th!

That seems hardly fair that every other course gets the day off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

damm was hoping to like go cork or somewhere monday night...is this for def that where not off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Notice to Staff

As you are aware Public Service Unions have indicated that there will be widespread industrial action on Tuesday, November 24th. This is a national dispute and is not directed at any particular employer. UNITE members in UL voted against participating in the proposed Strike Day in a ballot carried out on Friday, November 13th. The Union has informed UL Management that there will be no industrial action at UL on Tuesday, November 24th. Accordingly it is anticipated that there will be no disruption to the normal operation of the University on the 24th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JellyBeana

Yep, we got a mail from the department head the other day saying that it would be business as usual but the individual staff members were free to take strike action if they wanted. So I guess if your lecturer doesn't tell you otherwise it's the same as any other Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

One of our law lecturers told us Tuesday that we wouldnt have a class due to the strike. With regards to that i presume it was a personal choice, as it is true UL are not supporting UNITE. Regardless, i wont be turning up as im supporting UNITE and whatever it is they do ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I already bought tickets for stables christmas day thing on tuesday thinking we were off!

Think ill have to pretend i never saw this thread and just pressume we are still off! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

As an UL and DCU alumnus, I am proud that the lecturers there did not choose to join the exodus to Newry yesterday. What the government are doing in respect of pay restraint is not fair but the answer for the unions is to publish their own proposals publicly, not to leave the taxpayer in the lurch and enrich Gordon Brown's coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

dowlingm wrote: »
    enrich Gordon Brown's coffers.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement