Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii homebrew help......

Options
  • 16-11-2009 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,
    I need help i have a modded wii and i cant access the wii menu.
    I have a preloader installed so i can access that and the homebrew channel and all the apps in the home channel but when i try to press the home buttom or boot up the menu i get nothing but a black screen. I tryed changing the iso number in the preloader menu the last time it happened and it worked then but not now can someone please help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hi,
    I need help i have a modded wii and i cant access the wii menu.
    I have a preloader installed so i can access that and the homebrew channel and all the apps in the home channel but when i try to press the home buttom or boot up the menu i get nothing but a black screen. I tryed changing the iso number in the preloader menu the last time it happened and it worked then but not now can someone please help me

You took a NAND backup with BootMii, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Stylesclash1702

am i bricked if i didnt

am i bricked if i didnt

Most likely.

It would appear not, but sharing NAND's between wii's is apparently illegal :/

I'm not very experienced at this but honestly every guide you read tells you to install BootMii and make a NAND backup as practically the first step after exploiting the Wii. The first 8 blocks of the NAND backup are the bootloaders, everything else in the NAND is encrypted with keys - keys that are unique to your Wii, so flashing your Wii with my NAND backup won't work.

However, if preloader works, you could possibly run cboot2 and run WAD Manager. This would allow you to reinstall the System Menu from the Nintendo website (wii would need internet access)

i can still get to a usb loader so i can play games and i dont get corrupt files or anything. if i updated to the nintendo update could that help . and is there a way to get to my saves

i can still get to a usb loader so i can play games and i dont get corrupt files or anything. if i updated to the nintendo update could that help . and is there a way to get to my saves

How do you get to USBloader? Through preloader -> Homebrew Channel -> USBloader?

• Advertisement

Ya thats my only way to get to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

what preceded this? I assume it was working at some point, did you update to 4.2e or something?

TouchingVirus is right you should be able to reload the system menu with what you have access to. One thing id say if going that route though is NOT to use official 4.2E firmware from Nintendo. Have a google on the subject , as I'm certain I can't link to it here.

Ya thats my only way to get to it

Good stuff.

Do you know the old version of the Wii System Menu?

Use NUSDownloader (http://www.mediafire.com/?nqjdzmzzjmk) on your PC to download the version of the Wii system menu you had. After opening up the program, click Database -> System -> System Menu -> Version you had (for instance, I'm on 4.2E myself after upgrading back in October. E for Europe btw, so if your wii is from Europe you'll be wanting an E version anyways).

Then make sure to check the "Pack -> WAD" checkbox under the big Wii/DSi icons and click "Start NUS Download". The WAD will be packed in the same directory as NUSDownloader.

copy the .wad file to the root of the SD Card. Use WAD Manager (http://teknoconsolas.tv/wanin/WAD-Manager_v1.5.zip) to install the WAD. Keep in mind that installing the System Menu WAD will remove preloader, so if it works it would be best to isntall preloader ASAP. It's also a VERY good idea to get install bootmii as boot2 and take a NAND backup if this works :)

MAKE SURE TO INSTALL ONLY THE VERSION OF SYSTEM MENU YOU HAD - Installing an incorrect version could brick your wii properly

Oh, one more thing. I don't know how true/false this might be, but it won't hurt to have it just in case..

Before you do anything I've suggested, you might try to take a NAND backup by running bootMii from the Homebrew Channel/Preloader menu. Sure, the nand.bin file will be crap but the keys.bin file should still be fine. That way you'll have your Wii's common key and it could be possible (with a little more digging/time/effort) to restore your wii from another wii's NAND backup if you can resign that nand backup with your key. It's a wild idea, I'm not sure how feasible it is, but hell it wouldn't hurt to have your keys.bin file if it was needed :D

Thats great thanks for all your help.
    one last question is there a way to tell what system menu i was using because i cant remember cause i never really was on the wii before i modded it

• Advertisement

Thats great thanks for all your help.
    one last question is there a way to tell what system menu i was using because i cant remember cause i never really was on the wii before i modded it

Nope, there's no way to find out what you were on except through the System Menu's settings menu where it's up in the top-right corner.

if i install the wrong one cam i just install another or am i shagged

if i install the wrong one cam i just install another or am i shagged

Fubar'd. Installing a system menu will overwrite preloader, so all you'll get is your bricked menu.

Advertisement