Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear Factory: new song ... Powershifter

Options
  • 16-11-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

I'm liking this only heard about it today and now I'm really looking forward to the new album (which I also only heard about today) :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That song sounds like an improvement on most of Transgression already. Hopefully the rest of the album is as good too. Interesting how the official Fear Factory website hasn't been updated in a long time. I wonder is that down to the legal situation between the band members?

I've mentioned these guys in a couple of different threads but have you listened to Threat Signal? They are similar to Fear Factory and the singer and bass player are part of Arkaea which also contains ex-Fear Factory members Raymond and Christian.

I picked up the new Threat Signal album a couple of weeks ago and I'm very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Malice_ wrote: »
    I've mentioned these guys in a couple of different threads but have you listened to Threat Signal? They are similar to Fear Factory and the singer and bass player are part of Arkaea which also contains ex-Fear Factory members Raymond and Christian.

I picked up the new Threat Signal album a couple of weeks ago and I'm very impressed with it.

Thanks for the recommendation ... I'm loving the sound but the guys singing isn't doing it for me for some reason I might have to give them another blast this morning

forbairt wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation ... I'm loving the sound but the guys singing isn't doing it for me for some reason I might have to give them another blast this morning

I wasn't immediately grabbed by them either but they came up on random play one day when I was working on the computer and I realised they weren't half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I'm liking this only heard about it today and now I'm really looking forward to the new album (which I also only heard about today) :D
    I like. Sounds a whole lot better than some of their last records. Back to straight up in yore face metal, FF style.

LD 50 wrote: »
    Sounds a whole lot better than some of their last records.
    While Transgression wasn't great I have to say I quite liked Archetype.

• Advertisement

They've only released Transgression since Archetype? I would have thought they might have gotten another out after. It's been bout 2 or 3 years? More? I liked Archetype aswell, but sorta stopped listening on the back of Transgression

LD 50 wrote: »
    They've only released Transgression since Archetype.
    I know that. I was referring to the fact that you said it was better than some of their last records. I wanted to defend Archetype that's all :).
    LD 50 wrote:
    I would have thought they might have gotten another out after. It's been bout 2 or 3 years? More? I liked Archetype aswell, but sorta stopped listening on the back of Transgression
    Well they've been busy with side projects for a start. Burton has Ascension Of The Watchers, Raymond went producing video game music I think and Christian had the Kush Project as well as building up his career as a producer/engineer. They got messed around by their last record label which forced them to release Transgression early and then put out a Greatest Hits album without the band's blessing.

I know that. I was referring to the fact that you said it was better than some of their last records. I wanted to defend Archetype that's all :).

No, my bad. Just reread my last post. I meant that first sentence as a question.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Cant wait. Threat signals first album was epic. Wasnt too gone on there second one to say the least but it bridged the gap for the return of fear factory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

While Transgression wasn't great I have to say I quite liked Archetype.

Yeah I actually liked Archetype too.......liking the new track also.......not sure I like the way the guys do the business side of things, but a return to form musically is very important for them......

I think Bell has been involved in way too many side projects over recent years and as a result his focus and maybe heart just wasn't in FF - would love to see them release a quality album and return here for a live show....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That aint bad,is it out this yr?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Liking the tune, really looking forward to the Album!! Ears are still ringing from when i saw them back in the 90's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

on a sidenote has anyone heard burtons sideproject?
    http://www.myspace.com/aotw its awful .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Love it! It has that trademark Burton C Bell melodic chorus vocal back again. The new drummer is excellent and really fits in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 RexBanner316

Half fear factory half strapping young lad... amazing!! and lets be honest transgression was fairly poor compared to obsolete or demanufacture!

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    on a sidenote has anyone heard burtons sideproject?
    http://www.myspace.com/aotw its awful .....
    To be fair if you listen to it expecting something like Fear Factory then you won't like it. It's not metal at all and was never intended to be. For mellow, down-tempo electronica though, it's not half bad in my opinion.

To be fair if you listen to it expecting something like Fear Factory then you won't like it. It's not metal at all and was never intended to be. For mellow, down-tempo electronica though, it's not half bad in my opinion.

im not saying its awful cos its ambient... i like a lot of ambient... its just awful, in some of the songs he doesnt even sound in tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 omegasmores

I'm liking that new song.. I miss old FF.. They've become somewhat of a joke the past few years and it's sad... Digimortal kinda killed it for me, because I really liked the older harder stuff on Soul Of A New Machine and Demanufacture..

meh screw it, its just bell and dino...

ill just listen to Arkaea on repeat.

im not saying its awful cos its ambient... i like a lot of ambient... its just awful, in some of the songs he doesnt even sound in tune.
    Okay then, what songs is he singing out of tune in?

• Advertisement

Okay then, what songs is he singing out of tune in?

you dont wanna let this go do ya? the song Violet Morning sounds a bit wanky/outof tune to me... it could be on purpose, coudl be recording/production.. whatever, I said it sounded out of tune, thats my opinion, i dont like it either way.

you dont wanna let this go do ya? the song Violet Morning sounds a bit wanky/outof tune to me... it could be on purpose, coudl be recording/production.. whatever, I said it sounded out of tune, thats my opinion, i dont like it either way.
    I wasn't trying to have a go at you, I was just looking for you to back up your point. For what it's worth I have to agree with you about that song. The singing does grate on the ears in places. Bad idea if it was done on purpose!

The 2005 release, Iconoclast, is a bit better than the more recent album. This song is probably my favourite:

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has had a listen to the new Fear Factory album yet. I got a hold of it myself over Christmas and I have to say I am very impressed so far with it.

Also, according to here they have published some European tour dates. Sadly there's no Irish date but there are four dates in the UK so I will be doing my best to make one of them.
    02/16 - Manchester, UK - Academy 2
    02/17 - Wolverhampton, UK - Wulfrun Hall
    02/18 - Glasgow, UK - Garage
    02/19 - London, UK - Electric Ballroom
    02/21 - Brusels, BEL - VK
    02/22 - Amsterdam, NETH - Melkweg
    02/23 - Herford, GER - Club X
    02/24 - Berlin, GER - Columbia Club
    02/27 - Malmö, SWE - KB
    02/28 - Gothenburg, SWE - Brewhouse
    03/01 - Stockholm, SWE - Medis
    03/03 - Helsinki, FIN - Nostri
    03/05 - Copenhagen, DEN - Pumpehuset
    03/06 - Hamburg, GER - Markthalle
    03/07 - Köln, GER - Essigfabrik
    03/08 - Frankfurt, GER - Batschkapp
    03/09 - München, GER - Backstage Halle/Werk
    03/11 - Milan, ITA - Magazzini Generali

mechanize is out?:confused:

I dunno if its out to buy but i listened to it. Thought it was very meh. The songs by themselves are great but in the context of an album its boring as hell.

mechanize is out?:confused:
    No, it's not on sale, I never said it was. According to here it's out on February 9th this year.
    Patricide wrote: »
    The songs by themselves are great but in the context of an album its boring as hell.
    How can great songs still be boring as hell?

No, it's not on sale, I never said it was. According to here it's out on February 9th this year.

How can great songs still be boring as hell?
    Its simple. You listen to powershifter on its own, You think, "O man this ****s awesome". You listen to it in the context of the album and you think "This sounds the same as everything else on the album, boring".

To be fair i only listened to it twice, ive tried to listen to it sense but i usually turn it off after the first few songs.

Its simple. You listen to powershifter on its own, You think, "O man this ****s awesome". You listen to it in the context of the album and you think "This sounds the same as everything else on the album, boring".

To be fair i only listened to it twice, ive tried to listen to it sense but i usually turn it off after the first few songs.
    Ah okay I think I understand what you meant now :). The thing is, when this album was announced, I knew what I wanted to hear from it - loads of chugging guitar riffs, furious double-bass drum riffs, some synth sounds lending a different texture to certain sections of songs and Burton doing the growled verse/singing chorus vocal style that he does so well. To that end I don't find it boring at all. Then again, maybe I just have much lower expectations than you :p

Having said that, it's not just a 45 minute bombast, there is some variety in there as well. Songs like Mechanize, Designing The Enemy and Christploitation have slow synth-based intros.

Ah okay I think I understand what you meant now :). The thing is, when this album was announced, I knew what I wanted to hear from it - loads of chugging guitar riffs, furious double-bass drum riffs, some synth sounds lending a different texture to certain sections of songs and Burton doing the growled verse/singing chorus vocal style that he does so well. To that end I don't find it boring at all. Then again, maybe I just have much lower expectations than you :p

Having said that, it's not just a 45 minute bombast, there is some variety in there as well. Songs like Mechanize, Designing The Enemy and Christploitation have slow synth-based intros.
    Yeah, its just that to me it doesnt have that certain somthing that albums like demanufacture, obsolete and archetype had. Il give it another few spins though. Ive been listening to a lot of quirky german pop music at the moment so It might not have been the best time to give the new fear factory album a blast haha.

• Advertisement

Ive been listening to a lot of quirky german pop music at the moment so It might not have been the best time to give the new fear factory album a blast haha.
    That might have something to do with it alright :).

Advertisement