Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My outrage at some members of the public service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

Riskymove wrote: »
    you dont think anyone in the private sector makes €50k??

They do... but they earn it

And are measured on their performance before getting rises and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

you have very little grasp about how the public pensions works

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oh i am sure you can come up with a great, balanced, non-conspiratorial view on wht you mean by that...

Well certainly more interesting than what was it? oh yeah "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"!
    I can assure you I do have a grasp on how they work. I notice that you have offered very little in this regard? Do YOU have a grasp on how they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Keep it clean and above the belt, people - the ball is the little round yoke.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

you dont think anyone in the private sector makes €50k??
    Of course they do, but they do so by rising up through ranks and being dedicated and hard working, or else working hard in school and college to secure well paid professions.
    They certainly do not get such salaries without earning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I can assure you I do have a grasp on how they work.

then why did you think they were not contributed to before the levy?

• Advertisement

Of course they do, but they do so by rising up through ranks and being dedicated and hard working, or else working hard in school and college to secure well paid professions.
    They certainly do not get such salaries without earning them.

fine so...I am not interested in discussing further such obviously prejudiced views

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

sysconp1 wrote: »
    They do... but they earn it...

Do you presume that people in the public service don't earn their money?

then why did you think they were not contributed to before the levy?

I never said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Riskymove . .

Why dont public servants rate job guarantee and their pensions ?

Thats two privaleges thats worth more then any perk anybody else has in this current climate. It does not appear to be appreciated by the public servants who dismiss it so quickly . .

Hence the feeling that there are many people who simply dont know how good they have it. .

For every poor or lower paid public sector employee, theres at least one equivilent in the private sector . . What makes public sector worker so much more important ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Keep it clean and above the belt, people - the ball is the little round yoke.

jimmmy's got it.

• Advertisement

Do you presume that people in the public service don't earn their money?

If it walks like a duck and it quacks...

fine so...I am not interested in discussing further such obviously prejudiced views

There is no predjudice only people telling what the REAL world is really like. If you choose to keep your blinkers on and go around with your head in the air then that is your choice. But the people on here would like to see change for the better, for the country. Not just for the few that are only concerned with their own well being.

With respect there is nothing prejudiced about recognising the fact that it is near impossible to earn a salary of 50k in the private sector without earning it. I dont think thats prejudiced?

There is no predjudice only people telling what the REAL world is really like. If you choose to keep your blinkers on and go around with your head in the air then that is your choice. But the people on here would like to see change for the better, for the country. Not just for the few that are only concerned with their own well being.

its not prejeducial to have starting position that no public servants earn their living, work hard etc??

thats not the real world, its you who have the blinkers on
    Riskymove . .

Why dont public servants rate job guarantee and their pensions ?

??

what do you mean?

you have very little grasp about how the public pensions works

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oh i am sure you can come up with a great, balanced, non-conspiratorial view on wht you mean by that...

There is nothing "conspiratorial" about my question. I was simply seeking clarification. I heard it said that the ps were going to be compensated for their 12 days forced leave 6 years down the line...and I wondered if anyone could clarify this either way. That is not conspiratorial that is a genuine question.

With respect there is nothing prejudiced about recognising the fact that it is near impossible to earn a salary of 50k in the private sector without earning it. I dont think thats prejudiced?

it wouldnt be if that is what you said

your implication is that public servants dont earn their salaries...which is prejudicial

its not prejeducial to have starting position that no public servants earn their living, work hard etc??

??

what do you mean?

maybe because they have always had them (pension and guaranteed job) so they take them for granted? The take home pay is the only quibble area they can find?

There is nothing "conspiratorial" about my question. I was simply seeking clarification. I heard it said that the ps were going to be compensated for their 12 days forced leave 6 years down the line...and I wondered if anyone could clarify this either way. That is not conspiratorial that is a genuine question.

well I did not hear anything like that

all i heard was that public servants would be deducted an amount of pay equivalent to 12 days unpaid leave

but that the leave would be taken over a number of years, up to 6 for frontline emergency services to minimise service disruption

it wouldnt be if that is what you said

your implication is that public servants dont earn their salaries...which is prejudicial

What I SAID and what you choose to interpret as my IMPLICATION are two very different things

well I did not hear anything like that

all i heard was that public servants would be deducted an amount of pay equivalent to 12 days unpaid leave

but that the leave would be taken over a number of years, up to 6 for frontline emergency services to minimise service disruption

thank you

• Advertisement

The take home pay is the only quibble area they can find?

indeed, having your take-home reduced to a point where you worry about being able to pay your bills is such a minor quibble

??

what do you mean?

Perhaps you should read some of the REAL experiences on here and explain why the whole PS should not be tarred by the same brush. After all it only takes a couple of bad apples and then the the whole barrel is tainted. Whether it be everyone or not.

What I SAID and what you choose to interpret as my IMPLICATION are two very different things

so do you believe that public servants do earn their salaries?

indeed, having your take-home reduced to a point where you worry about being able to pay your bills is such a minor quibble

But if you over committed on your job for life salary then who's fault is it? I know at least 4 couples in the PS where that is the case and their comments are much like yours. Howeverthink of all the private sector people that have exactly the same issue and they don't go running to everyone crying, they take it on the chin. After all what else can they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

riskymove . . .

I assumed you were a public servant ? My apologies if I am wrong . .

I am just saying that when a public servant says to me they wont discuss their job guarantee or their guaranteed pension (or will discuss it, with little reason to offer up why it shouldnt be a factor when discussing paycuts), it only serves to make me (and hundreds of thousands) feel like they dont want to accept that this is a hugely important privalege in this current economic climate .. .

Quoting who took what job and who didnt want to take public service jobs Etc etc etc (and I have personal experience that this is not completely true) really doesnt amount to anything other then sidestepping the main issue with schoolyard jostling.

Personally, I dont believe an 11% paycut in the current climate is actually that drastic. Im not saying it doesnt impact on peoples lives, im saying if this is the worst economic crisis this country has ever had, then an 11% cut is in that regard, not that bad , if you keep your job. . Thats the perception and HARSH REALITY that anybody whos lost their job or is worried about losing their job, has to contend with daily.

Yes and something a lot of private sector have had to battle with.

After all it only takes a couple of bad apples and then the the whole barrel is tainted. Whether it be everyone or not.
    :rolleyes:

on that basis, just about every sector of society should all be considered at the same level of their worst perfromer

I am sure I can find plenty of REAL experience of private sector poor performance on this site but I would never decide that everyone was the same

Yes and something a lot of private sector have had to battle with.

yes and thats very unfortunate

why should that make it any less worrying for the person in question

so do you believe that public servants do earn their salaries?

Some do, some dont.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

on that basis, just about every sector of society should all be considered at the same level of their worst perfromer

I am sure I can find plenty of REAL experience of private sector poor performance on this site but I would never decide that everyone was the same

Agreed, however there is much less tolerance for poor performance in the private sector. But those companies that do retain poor performers do not succeed that well.

Advertisement