Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My outrage at some members of the public service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

I think that we are all agreed that, in the interests of fairness, the cuts should take place elsewhere and that someone else should pay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think that we are all agreed that, in the interests of fairness, the cuts should take place elsewhere and that someone else should pay! :)

Here . . Enough of this bickering, give me the bill, I will take care of this one . . :p

Do you take EC Credit Cards ? ? ? :confused:

They agreed to let me spend €500mil a week for up to 5 years . . . . . You dont even have to worry about it until 2014, when you can payback the capital + Interest . .

The longer you leave it the more you pay by increased interest (compounded interest, reduced credit rating, coupled with lowest interest rates currently that will rise).

Hey hey, no need to be part of the recession. Just relax, continue as normal and everything will work itself out . .. Just get rid of FF as soon as possible, and vote in whoever hates them the most (like a person on the rebound) and hey presto . . Your country is back on track . .

100% Guaranteed to work if you leave your head in the sand . Warning : You should look for a particularly deep sandpit post 2014 . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

deen wrote: »
    I may get a call tonight to an incident in which a private sector worker loses his life, I may lose my life at this call, will it matter to either of our families what we worked at when we are gone. No it won't.

Fair play to you for doing a laudable job, and putting yourself in harms way. I'd wonder though, how you'd account for the difference in payment terms between rural retained firemen in the UK and here - the risks inherent in the job would seem to be much the same, and yet rather than an annual salary of €21, 340, and a retirement gratuity of €38,000 applicable here, there's typically an annual salary of £3-3.5 K, and call out payment of £10-15 per hour. No retirement bonus either. Given it's the same job, with the same commitment, same risk, and presumably similar training involved, you'd expect a little more rationalisation of payment across the two arrangements. Maybe the UK see the part-time nature of the role as better rewarded on a time-invested basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 groovy 09

sysconp1 wrote: »
    Frontline could be defined as:

Just for the record, I am private sector and I was made redundant 10 weeks ago and I still have no sign of my social welfare. The guys in my old business had to take a 10% pay cut and 10 days of mandatory unpaid leave per year and the levey that every one else got. No salary rises or bonuses for the next year at least. They accept it as a fact of life as the good times are over and it will require some hardship to turn things around.

Your situation is all too familiar. I'm working in the private sector also, no pay increases, headcount is frozen, enforced leave but have to work additional hours to meet the company demands. The overlying threat is tangeable - if we are not competitive the company will pull out of Ireland. I'm only home from work now after starting at 08:00. I'm so annoyed with the public sector who feel so hard done by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

K-9 wrote: »
    They will not have to be asked in if the cuts are implemented, cuts that no matter what way you look at it, require pay cuts.

No no you misunderstand. The IMF person seemed incredulous that we woudl think we needed their help and there was no question of them being called in regardless of cuts. She said we had loads of money (relative to the places they do get called in to. Its a white elephant. Always was. Spin.

groovy 09 wrote: »
    sysconp1 wrote: »
    Frontline could be defined as:

Just for the record, I am private sector and I was made redundant 10 weeks ago and I still have no sign of my social welfare. The guys in my old business had to take a 10% pay cut and 10 days of mandatory unpaid leave per year and the levey that every one else got. No salary rises or bonuses for the next year at least. They accept it as a fact of life as the good times are over and it will require some hardship to turn things around.

Your situation is all too familiar. I'm working in the private sector also, no pay increases, headcount is frozen, enforced leave but have to work additional hours to meet the company demands. The overlying threat is tangeable - if we are not competitive the company will pull out of Ireland. I'm only home from work now after starting at 08:00. I'm so annoyed with the public sector who feel so hard done by.

This is in danger of being seen as a wise as comment, but. The delays are because of workload. The public sector workers who have lost their jobs face the same delays. Bringing in pay cuts and job cust will actually make this take longer.

Lets also say this - there are cuts already happening in the public sector. I spoke to a doctor friend the other day who told me his take home pay was 50% down on last year despite going up a grade on the ladder. How? Why ? Because the HSE/hospitals are NOT honouring contracts in full. They are refusing to pay staff for all hours worked etc etc etc. Just because you haven't heard about it on the news doesn't mean it isn't happening. This also illustrates the blatant disregard the HSE/governmernt has for employment contracts - something that woulnd't be allowed happen in the private sector without legal repercussions.

To be honest I'm tired of this public vs private 'debate'. People need to wise up and realise the real problem is the deficient leadership of the country. Lets make a point here - there are people in the public sector doing well, there are people in the private sector doing well, there are people in the public sector doing poorly, there are people in the private sector doing poorly. Blanket cuts in the public sector will NOT NOT NOT help any of those in the private sector who have done badly. In fact it will degrade their public services upon which they are now more dependent. If you buy into this public vs private stuff you are only helping the government screw everyone over AGAIN.

The ONLY equitable approach to dealing with this issue is to raise income taxes on those who are high earners REGARDLESS of public vs private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No no you misunderstand. The IMF person seemed incredulous that we woudl think we needed their help and there was no question of them being called in regardless of cuts. She said we had loads of money (relative to the places they do get called in to. Its a white elephant. Always was. Spin.

So we can carry on the way we are?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PS. There's a separate thread on the IMF here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055760696

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

i always assumed that all this public sector bashing had to have some truth in it as where there is smoke there is fire. however i always thought that things were exaggerated and people in the public sector weren't really on oversized wages and only sitting about drinking tea all day. i had sympathy for the marchers last week as the unions told us most public sector works are on modest wages but i also know our government hasn't got much of a choice as they have to lower their expenditure, which made me more sympathetic to these people as their modest wages are going to decrease with or without them protesting.
    my opinion changed today.
    i saw my friends' pay slip.
    he's a fireman, and he's been one for just over 3 years, he's set to earn just under 50,000 euro this year.
    he was marching last week, protesting against a cut to his pay.
    i know people will say firemen do a dangerous job and save lives and they deserve that pay but this is the real world and peoples wages are structured on the amount of qualifications, training and experience you have, and the responsibility bestowed upon you. to put this into context my brother is a civil engineer and has been working in the industry for just over 3 years, same as my fireman friend. he works for one of the biggest civil engineering companies in the country and his work involves being in charge of very large building sites. he is currently being paid about 38,000 euro, he has just taken a 6% pay cut and is working 55hours a week as his company is obviously understaffed at the moment with cost cutting measures. he is on a salary so doesn't get paid overtime, just has to work to get the job done. he is doing this because he has a thing i like to call moral responsibility which i feel some public sector workers don't have. if the employees at my brothers company didn't take the pay cuts or work over time the company will go bust and they will all be out of a job.

some people in this country have gotten used to the oversized wages they got during the boom period and we laughed at our European neighbours as we were some of the highest paid workers in the EU. this was obviously silly and now we have to amend our pay structures. it is completely unsustainable to pay people these inflated wages and the knowledge of what my friend actually earns has made me incredibly angry that people can't see past their own selfish gains and instead whinge about having their pay corrected to a normal and sustainable amount.

i know people will say that i'm taring the public sector with one brush, but i don't doubt there are people in the public sector getting paid the amount they are worth. i'm giving out about this one persons pay, and he can't be the only person being paid more than he should be.

I'm a student and will be entering the public sector in 2 years, both my parents are in the public sector it is disgraceful how the government is attacking the public sector.

My parents were not earning 1500 euro building houses or laying bricks and we are the ones who are suffering the most now!!

I hate some peoples ignorance on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm a student and will be entering the public sector in 2 years...

I'm happy to see a bit of optimism, and I hope it is not misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

groovy 09 wrote: »

This is in danger of being seen as a wise as comment, but. The delays are because of workload. The public sector workers who have lost their jobs face the same delays. Bringing in pay cuts and job cust will actually make this take longer.

Lets also say this - there are cuts already happening in the public sector. I spoke to a doctor friend the other day who told me his take home pay was 50% down on last year despite going up a grade on the ladder. How? Why ? Because the HSE/hospitals are NOT honouring contracts in full. They are refusing to pay staff for all hours worked etc etc etc. Just because you haven't heard about it on the news doesn't mean it isn't happening. This also illustrates the blatant disregard the HSE/governmernt has for employment contracts - something that woulnd't be allowed happen in the private sector without legal repercussions.

To be honest I'm tired of this public vs private 'debate'. People need to wise up and realise the real problem is the deficient leadership of the country. Lets make a point here - there are people in the public sector doing well, there are people in the private sector doing well, there are people in the public sector doing poorly, there are people in the private sector doing poorly. Blanket cuts in the public sector will NOT NOT NOT help any of those in the private sector who have done badly. In fact it will degrade their public services upon which they are now more dependent. If you buy into this public vs private stuff you are only helping the government screw everyone over AGAIN.

The ONLY equitable approach to dealing with this issue is to raise income taxes on those who are high earners REGARDLESS of public vs private.

Here's the problem with that, as I see it. The rise in tax in April resulted in the government taking in less revenue than they would have had they not raised taxes, which would imply taxes are at the point of diminishing returns
    • If you raise income taxes on entrepreneurs and people who have worked hard and took the risk involved in investing and making a successful company then theyll have less revenue to pay their staff with, so theyll hire fewer people or sack current staff, etc.
    • I really doubt there are enough people in the country who earn "fat cat" salaries, but at the same time wouldnt pack up and move abroad if income tax was raised to bridge the deficit.
    • If you tax the rich even more than they currently are taxed (I think top 4% of earners in this country pay 49% of the governments tax revenue, then the top 10% pay around 75-80%, in fairness to them) theyll just take their money and leave the country to go to other places where they wont be taxed so much and the economy will lose all of that money.

Wages and salaries need to come down to make us competitive to attract foreign direct investment and multi-national companies which our country relies on extremely heavily given the lack of major indigenous Irish exporters we have (actually, right now off the top of my head I cant think of any major Irish exports outside of agriculture). That catn happen though if one section of the workforce is still being paid the same rate of pay as they were during Celtic Tiger years.

I definitely favour reducing government spending than trying to tax our way out of this recession/depression like we tried in the 1980's, but personally would actually gladly pay more tax out of my salary (26k a year with no overtime payments, no bonuses of any kind and 20 days holiday a year :) ) if it meant sorting out our economy now and over the next few years. And if my employer told me tomorrow Id have to take a paycut of whatever scale Id accept it knowing I was lucky to only get a paycut rather than being made unemployed and get on with work, or else Id quit and find a new job where I believe my skills and qualifications would earn a greater salary. But then again I know, like most others, jobs are extremely few and far between out there. I really dont want to go around lying to myself and pretending its all grand and "the IMF wont touch us" and "the EU will bail us out sooner or later" and so on, just we can eventually have another "Tallaght Strategy" and feel sorry for ourselves because nobody warned us it was coming.

• Advertisement

I'm happy to see a bit of optimism, and I hope it is not misplaced.

I hope its not misplaced?!? explain ?

I hope its not misplaced?!? explain ?

You said that you would be entering the public sector in two years. I don't think anybody can be sure of getting a position in two years' time.

You said that you would be entering the public sector in two years. I don't think anybody can be sure of getting a position in two years' time.

Ah I see. I'm positive, theres always subbing and tempory work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I'm a student and will be entering the public sector in 2 years, both my parents are in the public sector it is disgraceful how the government is attacking the public sector.

My parents were not earning 1500 euro building houses or laying bricks and we are the ones who are suffering the most now!!

And what makes you think more than 2% of the private sector made a killing from the property boom?

You don't like how the public sector works - move to the private sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So firemen have to die to justify their pay?

They take on dangerous duties and, because they train and develop suitable skills, they keep their fatality rates down. But they still do work that is inherently dangerous, and is very difficult. It is often very distressing, as they deal with people who are badly injured, and they deal with fatalities.

I knew, that despite any precursor I put on the post that someone would either twist it or not read it in context.

Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Both of them?

Thank your lucky stars so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

deen wrote: »
    I am a Retained Fireman as indeed are the majority of firefighters in Ireland with the exception of those who work in the cities mentioned. I have an issue with the concept that those who work in these cities are "Fulltime" but only work a standard 39 hour week, where as those in the retained service are on duty at all times but are considered to be "part time".

As I said in my original post for the ammount of hours I actually work I'm well paid I don't have a problem with that. For the ammount of disruption it causes to my home life and the ammount of time I have to be available I'm not well paid. I don't have a problem with that either I knew the conditions when I signed up.

Just pointing out that taking one persons payslip in either the public or private sector and using it to paint all in that sector in a particiular light is unfair and frankly a waste of time. I may get a call tonight to an incident in which a private sector worker loses his life, I may lose my life at this call, will it matter to either of our families what we worked at when we are gone. No it won't.
    Ok, so you're a retained fireman (this role is called a volunteer fireman here in Germany for what it's worth and the same urban/rural divide is the norm here). Can I ask you why you do it? For your community or for the money? Do you work apart from being a retained fireman?
    wiki wrote:
    Bei einer Gesamtzahl von 2.074 Städten in Deutschland existieren lediglich in 102 dieser Städte Berufsfeuerwehren
    ...Out of a total of 2,074 towns and cities in Germany, just 102 have a professional fire service (the remainder are all manned by volunteers who receive no retainer and no call out fee whatsoever, they do it purely to serve their local community).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

murphaph wrote: »
    ...Out of a total of 2,074 towns and cities in Germany, just 102 have a professional fire service (the remainder are all manned by volunteers who receive no retainer and no call out fee whatsoever, they do it purely to serve their local community).

Careful now . . You dont want to suggest that Ireland has become a nation full of self absorbed vested interest groups ! ! !:p

The Irish "community" spirit left our country when the values of the church were replaced with the value of the Euro . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

danman wrote: »
    No matter how hard sites try to make everything safe, there will always be deaths. It's a fact of life for everyone in the construction sector.
    It's a dangerous industry, it has nothing to do with attitudes.

There are very few similar examples of this dangerous work in the Public sector. That was not my point.

My point is that being a front line member of the public sector is not nearly as dangerous to you health as the construction sector, yet you don't see posters on billboards of builders with broken limbs etc.

This is a tactic that is over used by frontline workers.

Don't get me wrong, I believe no frountline worker should get any abuse by gurriers, but it's part of the job. Every one that enters these jobs, know the circumstances of their workplace.

I've always known the dangers of my industry, I count myself lucky that over the past 20 years, I've never been seriously injured. But I don't push the danger of my job as a sympathy vote.

ive rarely come across threads on internet forums or storys in the media about how dangerous the job of a nurse or a guard or a fireman is in ireland untill the whole issue of pay cuts came to the fore , frankly , i believe the whole thing is a ploy by the so called FRONTLINE to try and garner sympathy among the general public as a way of persuading the goverment not to cut wages to nurses , guards or firemen

objectivity on display across the board in the above post i see :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And what makes you think more than 2% of the private sector made a killing from the property boom?

You don't like how the public sector works - move to the private sector!

100% of the public sector made a killing out of the property boom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

irish_bob wrote: »
    objectivity on display across the board in the above post i see :rolleyes:

Surely Irishbob you're the last one to judge who is and isn't objective. :p You're hardly the most objective when it comes to public service are ya now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 deen

Retained firefighters in Ireland work on the same system as in England. Paid a retainer for being available and by the hour thereafter. Therefore it depends on the number of calls you get in any given year what your pay is going to be. My pay of €21,000 last year was a good year in terms of pay, some firefighters will have earned a lot less some a lot more.
    As for the question as to why I do it, I do it because I like to help people an before I type this I know most of you won't beleive me but when I applied to join I didn't know I would be paid. I only found out at my interview. Would I do it now for no pay? maybe. Will I offer to do it for no pay? No Way. Will I offer to take a pay cut? No. Will I take a pay cut if it comes? Yes.
    The point of my post was I don't begrudge anyone public or private sector person what the earn, fair play to them. If people on here think that those in the public sector are paid too much don't bitch about it change the government who decided to pay them this much and put in the party who says they will pay them less.
    If you think those in the private sector are paid too much don't buy their products or use their services.
    But don't expect those in either sector to agree to wage cuts without a fight.

noodler wrote: »
    I knew, that despite any precursor I put on the post that someone would either twist it or not read it in context.

Bravo.

You knew that what you said was highly questionable. It doesn't take twisting or reading it out of context to justify challenging it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Flex wrote: »
    Here's the problem with that, as I see it. The rise in tax in April resulted in the government taking in less revenue than they would have had they not raised taxes, which would imply taxes are at the point of diminishing returns
    • If you raise income taxes on entrepreneurs and people who have worked hard and took the risk involved in investing and making a successful company then theyll have less revenue to pay their staff with, so theyll hire fewer people or sack current staff, etc.
    Well by and large the entrepreneurs and business owners are not as affected by income tax rates as as they are employers they get to do things like have a company car, feed their profits back into company etc.
    • I really doubt there are enough people in the country who earn "fat cat" salaries, but at the same time wouldnt pack up and move abroad if income tax was raised to bridge the deficit.
    • If you tax the rich even more than they currently are taxed (I think top 4% of earners in this country pay 49% of the governments tax revenue, then the top 10% pay around 75-80%, in fairness to them) theyll just take their money and leave the country to go to other places where they wont be taxed so much and the economy will lose all of that money.

Where did you get those figures from ? I seriously doubt 10% make up that much of the tax revenue.
    Wages and salaries need to come down to make us competitive to attract foreign direct investment and multi-national companies which our country relies on extremely heavily given the lack of major indigenous Irish exporters we have (actually, right now off the top of my head I cant think of any major Irish exports outside of agriculture). That catn happen though if one section of the workforce is still being paid the same rate of pay as they were during Celtic Tiger years.
    I actually disagree. That ship has LONG sailed. Ten years ago companies were packing up to go cheaper places. We CANNOT compete in the mass manufacturing markets. What we need to do is innovate. We should be encouraging new industries instead of looking abroad for investement - in case you didn't here there is recession abroad too - they don't have money to invest like before. We should be developing new energy technologies, new recycling technologies, new medical technologies and then we shoudl be exporting that skill and expertise at a premium. The country that cracks this stuff first will be at the head of the next boom - mark my words. We have the engineering skill, we have the scientists, we have the talent. We need some leadership with the vision to see this.
    But I digress...
    I definitely favour reducing government spending than trying to tax our way out of this recession/depression like we tried in the 1980's, but personally would actually gladly pay more tax out of my salary (26k a year with no overtime payments, no bonuses of any kind and 20 days holiday a year :) ) if it meant sorting out our economy now and over the next few years. And if my employer told me tomorrow Id have to take a paycut of whatever scale Id accept it knowing I was lucky to only get a paycut rather than being made unemployed and get on with work, or else Id quit and find a new job where I believe my skills and qualifications would earn a greater salary. But then again I know, like most others, jobs are extremely few and far between out there. I really dont want to go around lying to myself and pretending its all grand and "the IMF wont touch us" and "the EU will bail us out sooner or later" and so on, just we can eventually have another "Tallaght Strategy" and feel sorry for ourselves because nobody warned us it was coming.

I agree with cutting government spending. But there are smart ways and dumb ways to do that. A pretty dumb way if the force blanket wages cuts, cut services and enforce unpaid leave. PEOPLE WILL DIE. Smarter ways would be to cut inefficiencies in the services. I actually think there shoudl be job cuts in the public service, but targeted ones in overstaffed areas such as HSE management. But I also think there should be new hirings in frontline healthcare services for example. Its not that something doesn't have to be done. Its that it has to be done intelligently. But that's too hard for Fianna Fail it would seem - again we need leadership with vision and we haven't gotten it.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Careful now . . You dont want to suggest that Ireland has become a nation full of self absorbed vested interest groups ! ! !:p

The Irish "community" spirit left our country when the values of the church were replaced with the value of the Euro . .

Are you f**king KIDDING ME ? Would this be the community spirit that:
    a) fostered systematic abuse
    or
    b) covered up said abuse
    or
    c) ran forced labour camps as "laundries" or "factory schools"
    or
    d) sent children to Australis never to be heard from again.

If those are the values of the church you can keep them frankly.
    ive rarely come across threads on internet forums or storys in the media about how dangerous the job of a nurse or a guard or a fireman is in ireland untill the whole issue of pay cuts came to the fore , frankly , i believe the whole thing is a ploy by the so called FRONTLINE to try and garner sympathy among the general public as a way of persuading the goverment not to cut wages to nurses , guards or firemen

Seriously ? Are you seriously saying this or is this trolling ? Do you honestly think being a fireman is safe ? Do you think guards don't face physical violence on a regular basis ? Do you think hospital work is safe ? Physical violence from patients, relatives, constant exposure to disease and blood products - does that sound safe. Next friday night take a trip to St James' A & E and see how "safe" it is. They don't make noise about this normally because they are getting on with their work and not looking for medals for doing it. They get loud about it at times like this because they are being financially assaulted by the government, and verbally assaulted by ignorant media and ignorant web forum posters for doing their job in appalling circumstances, circumstances I'd wager you wouldn't be prepared to work in.
    100% of the public sector made a killing out of the property boom :D

More trolling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I agree with cutting government spending. But there are smart ways and dumb ways to do that. A pretty dumb way if the force blanket wages cuts, cut services and enforce unpaid leave. PEOPLE WILL DIE. Smarter ways would be to cut inefficiencies in the services. I actually think there shoudl be job cuts in the public service, but targeted ones in overstaffed areas such as HSE management. But I also think there should be new hirings in frontline healthcare services for example. Its not that something doesn't have to be done. Its that it has to be done intelligently. But that's too hard for Fianna Fail it would seem - again we need leadership with vision and we haven't

Does anybody realise we have by far the most nurses per head of population in the EU, yet everybody seems to think they are stretched to the limit. Not trying to stir up anything but how can this be true with our pathetic health service. Anybody any thoughts?

www.eahp.eu/content/download/25141/163961/.../Management31-34.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

That article is an interesting read. Would health care staff here be expected to take on greater responsibility compared to other countries which would justify a higher salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That article is an interesting read. Would health care staff here be expected to take on greater responsibility compared to other countries which would justify a higher salary?
    I didn't actually mention their salaries. The reason i checked up on this is because on a recent visit to hospital to see a friend I noticed there were an awful lot of nurses in the ward. Was very surprised when I saw we had far more than most countries, the way they go on would defiantely make one think that they are completely understaffed. How do France (often cited as the worlds best healtcare service) manage with fewer than us?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Just on the "poor" plublic sector, etc.

Even the lowest salary is a nice salary.

http://www.tui.ie/Salary_Scales/Default.286.html#Common

Before tax and that's before over time, bonus, etc., for the lowest wage, what's so wrong with those wages.

http://www.cso.ie/quicktables/GetQui...lProduct=DB_PS

Private sector doesn't get this wages, have to pay for their own pensions, don't get to claim full wages while sick for in some cases years, don't have job security.

Plus when people get 5% raise or so they make jokes like, "oh how should i invest this huge raise" but when they lose the same amount, its "how am i going to pay my mortgage", so is % good or bad?
    user_invisible.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

there are a lot of reasons, mostly to do with how the different healthcare systems work

tbh, if you speak to a sample of irish based nurses, they'd much prefer to work in say the Dutch or French system. Understaffing on Irish hospital wards is a huge issue. I see it first hand nearly every day.

Best practice research would also point to the fact that the lower the nurse to patient ratio you have, the better outcomes and better mortality rates you'll come out with. This is something that a lot of other countries acknowledge and are actually looking to increase nursing numbers.

Advertisement