Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS

Options
  • 16-11-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Thinking of applying this year for the first time. My Ph.D is in English. Anybody got any advice or useful links?

Cheers :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

The IRCHSS run training days at various universities, try and go when it comes to your university. Otherwise get someone with a proven track record to read it and offer advice (in an ideal world this would be your supervisor, but it may not always be the case!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

Bottom line is that it all comes down to your topic and not your application. I would also agree that your supervisors position also plays are role, but more in terms of their status than their reference.

You only need to look at the projects that have been funded in the recent years and you will see that the vast majority of them have a specifically Irish focus or have an Irish slant.

I would agree that you should put a fair bit of work into the proposal but unfortunately it does not mean that it will be rewarded in any way. The main benefit I got out of the work that I put in to the proposal is that it helped focus my ideas and my methodology. Just don't expect to get a reward for your hard work.

This might sound very depressing but I am speaking from experience in dealing with the IRCHSS for the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

Bottom line is that it all comes down to your topic and not your application. I would also agree that your supervisors position also plays are role, but more in terms of their status than their reference.

You only need to look at the projects that have been funded in the recent years and you will see that the vast majority of them have a specifically Irish focus or have an Irish slant.

I would agree that you should put a fair bit of work into the proposal but unfortunately it does not mean that it will be rewarded in any way. The main benefit I got out of the work that I put in to the proposal is that it helped focus my ideas and my methodology. Just don't expect to get a reward for your hard work.

This might sound very depressing but I am speaking from experience in dealing with the IRCHSS for the last 2 years.

It's nice to see you're not bitter in the slightest.:pac:

Not in the slightest:D

• Advertisement

I am sorry, the IRCHSS process has also thought me that if at first you don't succeed . . . just send another letter. Just this month I forced them to give me my Alpha grading and ranking for my last two applications and I also got the guidelines given to the correctors for the last two years. All of which I was told I would not see but God bless the power of the letter and the Freedom of Information Act.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

I am sorry, the IRCHSS process has also thought me that if at first you don't succeed . . . just send another letter. Just this month I forced them to give me my Alpha grading and ranking for my last two applications and I also got the guidelines given to the correctors for the last two years. All of which I was told I would not see but God bless the power of the letter and the Freedom of Information Act.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Better off studying abroad I reckon!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gravensteen

only thing about studying abroad:
    IRCHSS give funding freely to any student in Irish universities, but won't give you the time of day if you're an Irish person studying abroad. €16,000 a year is a hefty prize and worth pursuing. In England, AHRC funding is much harder to get.

I would agree - I would go abroad but I have looked before and there are not many funding opp. about especially in my area. At the moment I have part-time work and good teaching hours so I am lucky in that respect. It just has the very bad habit of eating into any time that you might have for the Phd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I got it this year and it was my second attempt so do send off an application.

Things they seemed to like:
    * engagement with other disciplines, a non-insular approach and a topic which might form the basis for other projects
    * a strong methodological basis and proof that one has a project that extends beyond their thesis
    * a thesis with a definite goal, a clearly stated timeframe to finish and has a solution at least provisionally outlined

Good luck. Well worth it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I've been a registered MLitt student all year but have already decided to go on to PhD (which was suggested by my supervisor). I'm still VERY early days into my research. Due to teaching obligations from another scholarship, I've had very little research time this semester (having read maybe three articles and two or three books!). I know what my topic is in very general terms but I think that this would be a cool topic for the IRCHSS. I don't think I'll get it but my supervisor has a good standing in the field and I have a good academic record with a rough outline of the topic I want to tackle.

My question for your guys would be in terms of the point you are at in your studies. Although my topic, as I mentioned, is in a zygote stage, I will ensure that the application is air tight in terms of methodology and frame work. The application itself, as previously mentioned, will force me to sit down and figure this project out, but I'm just a bit nervous about how little I've done up to this point, particularly as I have basic knowledge (as it stands) of the topic.

What you guys think? I'm going to apply regardless and see what they say. My Dad applied awhile back and they gave him some great feedback. He ended up deferring his PhD, but his project was pretty groundbreaking. It didn't get through on one issue - the project was being co-supervised by two separate departments (English and Business). They couldn't find anything else wrong with it. So maybe you guys should think about that!

R

scop wrote: »
    I got it this year and it was my second attempt so do send off an application.

Things they seemed to like:
    * engagement with other disciplines, a non-insular approach and a topic which might form the basis for other projects
    * a strong methodological basis and proof that one has a project that extends beyond their thesis
    * a thesis with a definite goal, a clearly stated timeframe to finish and has a solution at least provisionally outlined

Good luck. Well worth it in the end.

Could you expand on the points about the project extending beyond the thesis, and the solution that should be outlined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I am kind of torn regarding this. I have only a small window of time left to apply but I am still not sure about the whole thing.

1: My thesis is about as far removed from anything Irish as you can get.

2: I have only one year left but work as a tutor. I find the experience invaluable and IF I got this I wouldn't be able to work as a tutor next year.

Then again getiing the scholarship is potentially €16,000 and a bit of prestige...

Decisions, decisions....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Could you expand on the points about the project extending beyond the thesis, and the solution that should be outlined?

My feedback said (I dont have the exact text of it here) that they were encouraged by my mentioning that the framework could be applied beyond the subject matter of the thesis (I'm in sociology, my thesis was on precapitalist agriculture and I had outlined in a closing paragraph on the 'significance' sub heading that it could tie into the contemporary re-feudalisation debate on Latin American fruit production).

It is difficult to argue the significance of a project beyond your empirical contribution unless the area is vast and your phd will only scratch a small proportion of it. If you can talk it up as developing a new analytical approach to the area in question, as well as an original empirical contribution, I would imagine they will look more favourably on it - this is easier to do for some disciplines.
    RonMexico wrote: »
    I am kind of torn regarding this. I have only a small window of time left to apply but I am still not sure about the whole thing.

2: I have only one year left but work as a tutor. I find the experience invaluable and IF I got this I wouldn't be able to work as a tutor next year.

Then again getiing the scholarship is potentially €16,000 and a bit of prestige...

You can tutor up to three hours per week, unless it has been changed since mine (2007)

That's cool, I have those things covered so. You can't tutor for the first year in which you're receipt of the IRCHSS scholarship, maybe that was different back in the day but I'm sure that's the case now. After the first year you can begin to tutor a bit.

As far as the tutoring goes - it is great experience and I really love it but you should grab a scholarship with every limb you have if get the chance. You will get a job because of your PhD and your publications rather than your tutoring experience. The thing is that once you have your Phd there will be plenty of time to tutor.

I have 6 years of tutoring and the other thing I have found is that tutoring eats into your time like nothing i have seen before.

Hope this helps:pac:

RonMexico wrote: »

It does not have to be on an Irish topic. Mine is on a German philosopher.

The IRCHSS is worth a lot more jobswise than tutoring. In fact I'm amazed anyone would consider tutoring over a scholarship. We've all tutored and it makes no difference if you've tutored for one or two years. You would be mad not to apply on this basis.

Extending beyond the thesis: show that your project is long-term. You will wrap your thesis up nicely but continue to develop the insights. This means you will be referring back to your IRCHSS thesis for years to come which is more or less what they want.

Solution: You should know how the thesis is going to wrap up. You have the problem solved but you just need to structure and refine the argument. For them this means you will finish and in a decent amount of time.

Hope that helps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cunniny3

I have a simple question about the style of the application. Is it permissible to use the first person? For example, should I say:
    "I propose to investigate..."
    or
    "This research will investigate..."

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 camperspampers1

Hi all, im new to this but thinking about doing a research masters maybe but just wondering will there be a second round of IRCHSS this year?? I know that IRCSET only have the one, but I dont think I'd be able to get referees together by the 11th Jan. Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

you're getting mixed up there - IRCSET have two rounds, IRCHSS only have the one a year. If you haven't organised a referee at this point, it is unlikely you'll be able to apply this year, but do try! They may be on break, but a lot of supervisors won't mind coming in for a half day to give you a hand, although they might be a bit apprehensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 camperspampers1

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm 100% sure IRCSET have only the one round this year its on their website. i know they usually have two but its due to all the cutbacks. Was just wondering if its the same with IRCHSS because i cant seem to find out if they have only the one round this year?

It is DEFINITELY only the one round. If in doubt contact them on info@irchss.ie, but they will just tell you it's one round only. Logically if IRCSET got a round pulled from them, it's very unlikely there will be a second IRCHSS round, seeing as there hasn't been a two-round system in operation up to this point.

The reason I know is that you can only apply twice to the IRCHSS now and they keep saying if you don't get it for 10/11 then you can reply for 11/12, but they don't mention a second round, and their deadline is the 11th of January, not the 11th of January and second round in May or whatever.

You're out of luck, bud. You'd want to get started on your application and give up hope for the second round. You could still make it, most important thing is getting your supervisor's reference.

Hi all, im new to this but thinking about doing a research masters maybe but just wondering will there be a second round of IRCHSS this year?? I know that IRCSET only have the one, but I dont think I'd be able to get referees together by the 11th Jan. Thanks in advance!

Don't you have a supervisor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dr. comic

hey just wonderin is anyone in the same boat. i'm being co-supervised and irchss say only submit one referee. yet on ther faqs they say submit one reference from each and also later contradict themselves sayin only send one. any ideas?

is it just me or is the phd gonna be easier then the irchss form?:D

dr. comic wrote: »
    hey just wonderin is anyone in the same boat. i'm being co-supervised and irchss say only submit one referee. yet on ther faqs they say submit one reference from each and also later contradict themselves sayin only send one. any ideas?

is it just me or is the phd gonna be easier then the irchss form?:D

There's no contradiction, it says to chose one supervisor for a referee, who will then have to fill in a separate form. Part D of the application form also has to be filled in by your supervisor, but if you have two then obviously they will have to both fill it in, since the question is what support they and the dept will provide the applicant. Print off the whole form and read through it and you'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

dr. comic wrote: »

is it just me or is the phd gonna be easier then the irchss form?:D[/quote

+1 on the last bit. It's driving me crazy!!

Deadline put forward to next Friday! Thank God!

Deadline put forward to next Friday! Thank God!

Where did you hear that?

edit; nevermind, looked up the site. sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

breedie wrote: »
    is the phd gonna be easier then the irchss form?

Yes :)

Advertisement