Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCHSS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

dr. comic wrote: »
    hey just wonderin is anyone in the same boat. i'm being co-supervised and irchss say only submit one referee. yet on ther faqs they say submit one reference from each and also later contradict themselves sayin only send one. any ideas?

is it just me or is the phd gonna be easier then the irchss form?:D

PhD will definitely be easier :-) Most stressful experiences I can remember have been putting together IRCHSS applications!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Anyone know if the word count that you include in the bibliography is the entire word count for your question 14, or just a word count of the bibliography? Its very unclear in the application form and none of the answers on it in the FAQ explicitly tell you either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

I could be wrong but I don't think that the bibliography has anything to do with any word count. It's in addition to any word count. As long as it doesn't go over two pages you're sorted. Or is that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I was under the impression that it was apart of the overall word count per question (so for example if you make four references to texts for your study the bibliographic word count counts toward that part of the question). Best to have a hundred words less that the word count so either way you'll be covering yourself.

Finally got mine in... Still has to be signed by the Dean who is currently snowed in. But it's done! I am very doubtful I'll get it, but it really has gotten me a lot more focused on my project. Getting some feedback would also be beneficial. I'm applying to an apprenticeship and a traveling scholarship as well.. and currently hold a scholarship, so I can't be greedy!

I was under the impression that it was apart of the overall word count per question (so for example if you make four references to texts for your study the bibliographic word count counts toward that part of the question). Best to have a hundred words less that the word count so either way you'll be covering yourself.

Sorry but I haven't a clue what you mean, could you clarify perhaps?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I was just thinking that I made no sense there.. Thanks!

To clarify, if you are writing up the methodology part (which is supposed to be 600 words, if I remember right) and you reference a text, let's say 'Methodologies in the Humanities' and you write 550 words for that question. The bibliographic citation of 'Methodologies in the Humanities' in part 15 will add to the overall word count. So O'Brien, Seán. 'Methologies in the Humanities'. etc. will be added to the 500 word count. Does that make sense now?

If that's the case then why does the form itself (Section 14)say that
    "A bibliography (of no more than two-pages in length) should be included in Section 15 of the application form and is in addition to the stated word limits"
    From your explaination you seem to have interpreted it as an integral part of the word count. But you have yours finished and I'm still tearing my hair out over some sections so you're probably right and I'll be penalised for exceeding the word limit. Right now I just want to smash the computer with a hammer and send the whole lot to IRCHSS in a jiffy bag (postmarked before the 15th of course)

Yeah but I could have done it VERY wrong. The way I look at it, try to keep 100 words below the word count, and keep your bibliography short and sweet. The talk that we had on the application form told us not to let section 14 'read like an essay', you shouldn't need a really extensive bibliography, anyway. This is only a proposal, it's not the thesis, and I've a feeling they'll extend the scholarship again. If secondary schools and primaries are being told to shut down, they'll hardly expect us to travel to universities looking for our institutional stamp.

Ok. I keep hearing about this thing of not having it "read like an essay". What exactly does that mean? Should I just put the whole thing in a bulleted list and ask them to send the cheque by return of post?

And I'm not so sure about another extension but I hope you're right. I keep putting off the journey to get mine signed because of the weather but would also like to see the back of it one way or the other.

Sorry, I was just thinking that I made no sense there.. Thanks!

To clarify, if you are writing up the methodology part (which is supposed to be 600 words, if I remember right) and you reference a text, let's say 'Methodologies in the Humanities' and you write 550 words for that question. The bibliographic citation of 'Methodologies in the Humanities' in part 15 will add to the overall word count. So O'Brien, Seán. 'Methologies in the Humanities'. etc. will be added to the 500 word count. Does that make sense now?

You think so? I was a little confused about the whole footnoting issue so used the Harvard system for a change, so that's already included in my word counts. I wouldn't stay 100 below just to be say, most of my answers are close to the max.
    Also I'm guessing at this stage it differs from person to person but the advice I was given was to fill up the bibliography. They don't expect you to have read everything its supposed to be an indicative biblio afaik, rather than a list of things you've read.
    breedie wrote: »
    Ok. I keep hearing about this thing of not having it "read like an essay". What exactly does that mean? Should I just put the whole thing in a bulleted list and ask them to send the cheque by return of post?

And I'm not so sure about another extension but I hope you're right. I keep putting off the journey to get mine signed because of the weather but would also like to see the back of it one way or the other.

Not bulleted, just specific answers and clearly laid out rather than reading as a piece of prose. Although obviously some of my form has bullet points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ellajane

Hi guys,

Just sent in my application and ohhhh what a relief!! Roll on June ;-) Everybody keeps telling me it's a lottery and I'm sure to some extent it is because I know lots of people with great PhD topics etc who didn't get it... but here's hoping!
    Best of luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ellajane

Just read the above posts - listen I wouldn't get too hung up about prose / bullet points - it seems as if they like you and your topic you'll get it... if not then you won't.

My supervisor let me see an application he did last year (and received funding for it) and it was riddled with grammatical errors and unfinished sentences!!
    I know it's a different scheme but I guess it just goes to show that they've probably given a brief on what is "hot" to research - i.e. what's going to benefit them - how are they going to get their moneys worth out of what and who they fund and what will be useful to them in the long run so fingers crossed they like what we're researching ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LordOctane2009

Ellajane

I completely agree and the same problems go for this scheme as well.:mad: It's a real pity but the only upside is that the process of filling the form is a great way to focus your ideas

Ding Dong IRCHSS is gone!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SD1979

Hey folks! I came on this forum for info a couple of times and found it very useful...anyway, I just wanted to say I got a proposal finished and posted in the last 24hrs....thank god! What a relief...and as others have said I guess at this stage its just a case of hoping that it catches someones eye and forgetting about it till next June. They let you know via mail yeah? Also can anyone elaborate on the collection of the scholarship if you are successful. Do you get it in one bulk amount? Installments per month or how does it work? Also do the government skim some off through tax?? Best of luck to everyone who managed to send in application!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

I plan to post my IRCHSS application tomorrow. If I do so, will it be postmarked "15 January"?

I finished the application a couple of days ago but didn't post it just in case I got some mad flash of inspiration and wanted to add something. Now I am beginning to think that I made a huge mess up and that tomorrow is too late to post the damn thing.

Can anyone confirm for me what date the postmark will be if I post it tomorrow? I'll be posting it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SD1979

From what I understood on the app form - as long as the post mark on it is not after tomorrows date then you should be grand - maybe register it just to be sure you can prove the date you sent it.

Thanks SD1979, I might be getting completely paranoid here, but does a letter get postmarked the day it is posted or does it go to some mysterious sorting office and hang around for a while before it is posted? I'll definitely get it registered anyway, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

It gets postmarked on the day its posted.

Thanks, maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight after all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 macswiney

Hello,
    Well, it's done!! How does everyone feel about it?! Anyone else with the huge fear of forgetting something?!
    What an emotional process it is.... first, putting your heart into a wordcounted document, and then saying goodbye to it!
    Good luck to everyone!

Yeah I felt the same. I went over it over and over again to make sure but I'm paranoid I left something out! Oh well, we can't do anything now! We can forget about it til June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anamara86

Just wondering what most people applying for IRCHSS funding are planning on studying? Mine is in the area of economics....

Middle English for my sins:)

Sociology of Media (I know...............not a hope!)

Advertisement