Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere better then the forum on Sat nite?

• 16-11-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Anyone any suggestions on Sat nite in Waterford?? Looking for "not a rubys or harveys nite out". Forum good but wondering if anything else going on in town, bands, good dj's????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

electric ave, twister vicks, rubys lounge and kazbar all have live music saturday nights. Usually an older crows there as well if you that's what you're looking for? Twister Vicks tends to be a kind of biker bar though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

WDC, we need to know what you're into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would say twister vicks would be your best bet as ots a far cry from Harveys and i'd imagine Rubys.

I'd def go there if the girls in our group weren't such well girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Twister vicks and electric avenue really. But I don't know how anyone can get bored of the forum. I mean, who doesn't like hearing the same setlist on shuffle since the days of the bowery.

Also, Geoffs is great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 vitalic

Geoffs followed by Kazbar (top floor only!) or Rubys Lounge is your best bet I'd say. That's our usual plan anyway if it's not Downses and the Forum! I'd be in early/mid-twenties age bracket so not sure if you are likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Here's what you do for a good night. Start off in Phil Grimes in Johnstown for a nice social one or two. Good beer, friendly staff, not too loud, perfect place to begin the night. Then move onto Geoffs where there's nearly always a great atmosphere to get you in the mood, and invariably bump into a few old friends as well. After a while take a quick trip across the road to the Kasbar (middle floor preferably) and get a few shots down you. And then when you really start feeling the effects take on the hill to the Forum and let loose for the rest of the night! Just make sure you're there before 12 to get free entry and you're sorted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Daysha wrote: »
    Here's what you do for a good night. Start off in Phil Grimes in Johnstown for a nice social one or two. Good beer, friendly staff, not too loud, perfect place to begin the night. Then move onto Geoffs where there's nearly always a great atmosphere to get you in the mood, and invariably bump into a few old friends as well. After a while take a quick trip across the road to the Kasbar (middle floor preferably) and get a few shots down you. And then when you really start feeling the effects take on the hill to the Forum and let loose for the rest of the night! Just make sure you're there before 12 to get free entry and you're sorted :)

Think this person is tyring to get away from the forum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Think this person is tyring to get away from the forum:)

Yeah but after drinks and shots maybe he'll change his mind again. :)

Is it only me who finds the Forum crowd very young on a Sat night? I'm 23 but sometimes I feel like a granny in there!! What's Escape nightclub like or is it along the same lines as Rubys/Harveys i.e. kip? ;)

vitalic wrote: »
    Is it only me who finds the Forum crowd very young on a Sat night? I'm 23 but sometimes I feel like a granny in there!! What's Escape nightclub like or is it along the same lines as Rubys/Harveys i.e. kip? ;)

If you feel old in the fourm i'd imagine you'll feel like like an immortal in escape :pac:

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    If you feel old in the fourm i'd imagine you'll feel like like an immortal in escape :pac:

LMAO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

If you feel old in the fourm i'd imagine you'll feel like like a paedophile in escape :pac:

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭clinchy

i think the forum on a sat nite is a long time past its use by that same music every sat nite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redmond3

Tellox wrote: »
    Twister vicks and electric avenue really. But I don't know how anyone can get bored of the forum. I mean, who doesn't like hearing the same setlist on shuffle since the days of the bowery.

Also, Geoffs is great :pac:

Agree Geoffs great, "set list" at the forum definitely moved on since bowery days for those that can remember. There 2 weeks ago, great sounds good buzz around. BUT hate that dueling banjo's!!!! Forum only place to go......

redmond3 wrote: »
    Agree Geoffs great,

I don't want to bring this up in every thread that I post in but no no it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I don't want to bring this up in every thread that I post in but no no it's not.

I agree Geoffs is very far from being great!

Forum has gotten really stale the last while, but honestly theres no place else like it to go on a Saturday night that's local, EA is good but its a bar and kinda cramped when its busy.

If i ever have to start paying to go to the forum again that'll be it for me! not worth the tener

Ah I think Geoffs is by far the best pub around... nice crowd and easy to get chatting to people! Then again I'm not from Waterford orginally so I'd imagine if you've been living here a long time you might get bored of it!

I think the music in the Forum is far superior to the rubbish played in the other clubs about town but seriously now, does anyone else not feel ancient in there or I am I just the oldest person posting here?? :rolleyes:

Well im only 20 so im alright for the moment, but geoffs does get very boring very fast!

Ah I think Geoffs is by far the best pub around... nice crowd and easy to get chatting to people! Then again I'm not from Waterford orginally so I'd imagine if you've been living here a long time you might get bored of it!

Man utd. have been the best premiership team around, but a lot of people hate them. So it is with Geoffs. Whenever one group of people start to like something, another group will automatically spring up that starts to hate it.

To all 'outsiders' who don't know the politics, Geoffs is one of the best pubs in the country and has consistently featured book compilations of best pubs in Ireland.
    I think the music in the Forum is far superior to the rubbish played in the other clubs about town but seriously now, does anyone else not feel ancient in there or I am I just the oldest person posting here?? :rolleyes:

I've felt ancient in there for about 10 years... shame that the crowd is so young, and it's kind of a self-perpetuating thing because the odd time older people go there they feel ancient -- if only they all showed up at the same time? :) Maybe if there was a 'mature' night once a month, you know for fogies 25+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I usually start down in murphys on the quay for 1 pint or so. Then head to downses(id say downses is my geoffs if ya get me), then after a few in there we'll head down to twister vicks for a band. Sometimes we might stop in allys on the way down there for a swift one.
    Twisters is great. Divirse crowd. Bands are good most of the time. and its late opening with cheap booze. 4 quid for a pint.

anyway thats my night and what I like. if the OP goes to the forum then id say they would like twisters

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    Man utd. have been the best premiership team around, but a lot of people hate them. So it is with Geoffs. Whenever one group of people start to like something, another group will automatically spring up that starts to hate it.

To all 'outsiders' who don't know the politics, Geoffs is one of the best pubs in the country and has consistently featured book compilations of best pubs in Ireland.

Well see pubs are not like football teams.

And in all fairness to geoffs they do a savage pint of guiness and the lunch down there is really nice, the pub itself is a good place.

Pity the same cant be said for the crowd in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 peter_sligo

anywhere wit trackies and 45 degree hats

Horses for Courses.

What really bugs me though is this attitude that Downes is King. The place is an absolute kip. Charming, and an enjoyable bar for a few drinks but if that's the best we have to offer then it's no woner Waterford City is dying on its arse.

Maybe if there was a 'mature' night once a month, you know for fogies 25+.

Excellent idea...
    but how about we settle on a 23+ night so they let me in too :)

Excellent idea...

Or 22+ to let in the 22 year olds...etc...

You've just proved a point that I'm too tired to make right now.

Well see pubs are not like football teams.

And in all fairness to geoffs they do a savage pint of guiness and the lunch down there is really nice, the pub itself is a good place.

Pity the same cant be said for the crowd in there

Pubs are not like football teams, but the Geoffs issue is very like Man Utd. v Liverpool or some such.

Objectively, Geoffs is the best pub in Waterford, for layout, size, style, popularity, food, music, etc. It has often been referred to outside Waterford as one of the best pubs in the country. People from outside Waterford but living in Waterford almost all universally say that Geoffs is the best pub in the city. But within the city itself there is an anti-Geoffs religion.

And as for the 'crowd' in Geoffs, I go to Geoffs and so do a lot of people on here. Maybe we're the sort of people that you despise for no good reason, I don't know. Maybe you are one of those people who hate people with long hair, or who wear 'weird' clothes, I don't know.

As for Downses. Was my number 1 pub before the 'good' (my) side was closed off, and before yer man's wife added the little 'improvements' that took a lot of the character out of the place. Still a great pub though.

Excellent idea...

I think we can call it at 23. Or maybe at 25, knowing that 23 year olds will come in. It's not like a legal thing anyway, just put 'mature crowd only' up somewhere and the kids will be scared off... maybe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

The Forum is the only place on a Sat night for a good atmosphere and craic!. Make no difference how old you are. Much better that some of the clubs in the center of town IMO:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Maybe if there was a 'mature' night once a month, you know for fogies 25+.
    Oi Im only 26 and far from a fogie :)
    Regarding geoffs. I wouldnt be mad into the place meself and Im not really bothered that some booklet says its good. I rather check places out myself then make a judgement. In my opinion it is nowhere near the best pub in the country. I have been in there loads of times over the years , just to meet some of the lads. I thought it was ok, noting major though.
    Me twin brother and older brother go there all the time and enjoy it. Horses for courses .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Thats exactly what you are doing Ziedth...have a look at your sig! ;)

Advertisement