Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone in Limerick to fix a number plate and possibly reallign the bumper on a golf.

• 16-11-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Allo allo. My girlfriend ran into the back of some lad in limerick and he is looking for €198 to respray and reallign the bumper. Now if it was me i would tell him take a hike because from the photos he has sent I cant see anything wrong with the allignment of the bumper. the damage to the paint is minimal and there is no way it needs a respray. Touch up paint would do the trick nicely. There has been no damage to her car at all except for her numberplate and I think he is trying to take her for a ride (I must say I cant blame him). Anyone in the UL area that could just give a rough quote on how much to fix this. Here are photos of the damage to his car.

[IMG][/img]28102009343-1.jpg

[IMG][/img]28102009344.jpg

I am quite the Artiste with Microsoft Paint

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

First of all.

It is the responsibilty of the person who crash's into the back of the other person to ensure the car is replaced to the condition it was before the crash.

Therefore, get a second opinion from a garage on the work involved for the re-alingment if any. I cannot really see from the picture.

Now the number plate. Go to B&Q a buy a screw. Job done.

EDIT: It looks like the car has the remnants of a number plate surround. So possibly the purchase of a new one from the main dealer(if it was a main dealer one) or buy your own replacement which would cost around €12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

€198 is cheap if he was trying to take her for a ride it would be a lot more. The bumper is marked and for the job to be done properly would need a respray which on silver can be a pain. If I were him and your girlfriend rang me and even mentioned touch up paint i would be straight onto her insurance to get the job done and it will end up costing a lot more than €198

Pay the €198 and be done with it she did crash into him after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Was this today out by hospital in Co Limerick by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That's cheap for a bumper respray. I paid more than that a couple of years back. He's definitely not taking ye for a ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

+1

Someone ran into me and scraped the paintwork,and it cost her 500.
    Pay the money quickly before he changes his mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

He's being more than fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Pay up quick before he get whiplash etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

He's being more than fair.

Have ye looked at the photos lads? There are marks all over the bumpers. A respray would put it in far better condition than it was in before she ran into the back of him. The black marks just above the screw are all she did. She does admit it was her fault but all I can see wrong with it is a broken number plate so in my eyes €198 to fix a number plate is taking her for a ride.

Berty, no it happened in UL a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

samsemtex wrote: »
    Have ye looked at the photos lads? There are marks all over the bumpers. A respray would put it in far better condition than it was in before she ran into the back of him. The black marks just above the screw are all she did. She does admit it was her fault but all I can see wrong with it is a broken number plate so in my eyes €198 to fix a number plate is taking her for a ride.
    The condition of the rest of the bumper is immaterial, the fact is that she marked the bumper and the only way to fully remove those marks is to respray the bumper. €198 is quite cheap to have a bumper properly repainted, and if you/your gf show any disinclination to pay up promptly then he'll just go through her insurance. If that happens he'll be sent to an insurance-approved workshop for an assessment of the damage, and the quote will be a multiple of €198. There is also the risk that he'll take a personal injury claim against her, which will in turn make the insurance repair of the bumper look like buttons. Like we're all telling you, the guy's being pretty decent about it now - I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Man she put scrapes on his 06 golf, 1 she hit him from behind=automatically WRONG,,2 €198 is nothing you'd hardly get a panelbeater to look at a car for that ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Anan1 wrote: »
    The condition of the rest of the bumper is immaterial, the fact is that she marked the bumper and the only way to fully remove those marks is to respray the bumper. €198 is quite cheap to have a bumper properly repainted, and if you/your gf show any disinclination to pay up promptly then he'll just go through her insurance. If that happens he'll be sent to an insurance-approved workshop for an assessment of the damage, and the quote will be a multiple of €198. There is also the risk that he'll take a personal injury claim against her, which will in turn make the insurance repair of the bumper look like buttons. Like we're all telling you, the guy's being pretty decent about it now - I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I dont think it is immaterial at all. €198 for a broken number plate is not reasonable. The more i look at those photos the less damage i can see. The bumper clearly isnt mis-alligned. €198 for a panel beating job is reasonable yes but no panel beating needs to be done.€198 may not be a lot to any of you but for a student its a fair bit.

There's no chance he could take a personal injury claim. The only witness to it can attest that she hit him doing approximately 5mph and there were no gardai called so he wouldnt have much of a claim.

Anyway all I asked for was the number of someone in Limerick who could fit a numberplate/have a look at the bumper for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

It does not matter what she wants it is up to the guy that she hit what he wants and where he wants his car fixed.

You are now going to start playing silly buggers with the guy about the damage she did which is going to drag this out and your girlfriend will loose out in the end.

Your girlfriend has gotten off very lucky but if she keeps listening to you is going to cost her a lot more.

Edit: Forgot to say no one is saying the 198 is peanuts what everyone is saying is the guy got your girlfriend a very fair quote for the damage done. When I looked at getting the bottom half of my Golfs bumper painted the cheapest I could find was 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The guy your GF ran into is being incredibly decent. She rear ended him causing slight damage to his bumper. He is offering you the option to settle up the damage outside of the insurance company (saving him hassle and you a clam on your policy). 200euro is nothing for a respray job (some pr**ck drove into the drivers door of my car a few months ago while parking and drove off repair was over 500 euro).

The advice im offering is that pay it and forget it because if I was in the position of the guy your girlfriend ran into and you were harping on about the 200 euro cost of a respray id be on the phone to the insurance company straight away. What is the excess on your insurance policy?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Some lady ran into the back of me, knocked my plate off, bumper slightly askew. I thought it would just need to be rehung. Turns out the bar behind the bumper was bent, cost her €1300.

Less then 200 is very reasonable.

For a cheap repair you could try brown's in cratloe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yep. I agree with most of what's been said here. €200 is very reasonable. The paint is scratrched and broken I think so it needs spraying. The number plate surround is also broken.

A 5mph can cause whiplash btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As alexmcred said, it's the owner of the Golf who gets to decide where their car is repaired. The only decision open to you/your gf is whether to pay the €198 or to let it go through her insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TheJones

quite frankly your Gf is blessed the golf driver is of reasonable integrity cause he could allow this go through her insurance provider not before consulting a VW dealership for a full quote on repairs escallating the price way beyond a very very cheap Eur180.

Its obvious that price has been derived by either shopping around or using a mate of his to conduct the repairs at a knocked down price however if your still hell bent on gaining another quote then try and find the following, folow the Dublin road from UL into the city heading down clare street following signs for the Airport, cross over the bridge by the absolute hotel and continue to the main junction facing St. Marys catholic Church on your right, go through that junction and take the immediate left lane (very difficult to see and only 5-10 metres after passing through that junction) on the left hand side of that lane is a body shop.

can't find a telephone number and I know it sounds a bit of a trek but if you find it you'll have come across one of the best body shops in the country, heard about this place from a Dublin taxi driver and took a bashed Audi A3 there about 2 years back after a collision in Swords. Rear end was beaten, filled and resprayed in a couple of days and at a fraction of the price I was being quoted for back in Dublin. However as good as they are I doubt they can match that price, hardly worth their floor space

Advertisement