Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem option?

• 16-11-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting in all in one package (tv/bb/phone) from UPC - currently only have tv. Have read that the new Cisco combined modem/router, has a few flaws:pac:.
    Am wondering if i only go for 3mb package and do not pay the €50 for the wireless router - will I get the Scientific Atlantic Boston Scientific modem?

Currently with bt in house and have wireless working perfectly (4 laptops) with my buffalo whr-hp-g54 router - configured to run in router mode with hardwired connection (lose 1 lan port) back to dsl modem/router.

I am assuming that all I would have to do is connect buffalo to upc modem and maybe disable some things on modem, and its business as usual!!!

Comments appreciated.

WW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Anybody know any upc installers, who know what they are giving out to people signing up for 3mb bb at the moment, if they dont pay for the wireless router!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Got UPC 20mb in six weeks ago - the guy brought out a Cisco and I explained that I just wanted a modem with as little interference as possible - he went back to his van and got a Scientific Atlanta.

Working great for me, no routing issues with my WHR-G54s (Tomato).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That router should work with the cable modem, regardless of the modem.

I got UPC installed, don't know what the modem is, but the install came with a separate Netgear wireless router (20M, so the router was free). The modem doesn't have any routing features.

Thks for that.

I have 2 buffalo wireless routers, one with standard firmware (in use and working great in the house), and the other with tomato (not in use), so it looks like getting the standard modem only is the way to go.

My thinking is that if I get the 3mb package and not opt for the wireless router, I will definitely get the modem only. I can then pay the €10 change fee, and upgrade to the 10 or 20mb package later on......
    If I go for the 10 or 20mbs package first, it will depend on the installer whether I get standard modem or not - don't really want to risk it.....

WW

jor el wrote: »
    That router should work with the cable modem, regardless of the modem.

It depends on your definition of work. Of course you won't have any problems getting on the internet, but early firmwares of this router would prepend UPC on whatever SSID you chose, and the current firmware has ICMP blocking issues which make traceroute fail to function. There is somewhere on boards an account of a customer getting the Cisco and complaining as he couldn't use traceroute which resulted in him being issued a Scientific Atlanta. I haven't heard from anyone who wanted the basic modem being refused it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I got a 10 mb line installed this week and the equipment supplied was:-
    Scientific Atlantic Cable Modem, model EPC2203
    Netgear Wireless-G Router , model WGR614

Lads, thks for all the responses - know what I want.
    Just need to convince her indoors, and deceide on where to locate modem

WW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I've got the cisco modem/wireless router and I have to say that it is brutal. It's fine for just browsing the web but once you want to open a couple of simultaneous connections it is woeful.

Has anybody had any luck with getting a replacement, I can live without wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I've got the cisco modem/wireless router and I have to say that it is brutal. It's fine for just browsing the web but once you want to open a couple of simultaneous connections it is woeful.

Has anybody had any luck with getting a replacement, I can live without wireless?

I second that, the Cisco is a rubbish modem. It can't do simple things like bridging (it can do wireless bridging) so there's no point in trying to use another
    router with it. You have to forward every port individually...that's the official Cisco solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Balls. I got the 10MB connection put in today with the Cisco router. uTorrent speed varies, as high as 1MB/s (very rare and not sustained) down to 100 kB/s.

Port forwarding seems so bloody complex, anyone able to spare a few minutes to guide me through it roughly?? PortForward.com just confuses me.

Also, should I look into getting the router changed?

• Advertisement

Balls. I got the 10MB connection put in today with the Cisco router. uTorrent speed varies, as high as 1MB/s (very rare and not sustained) down to 100 kB/s.

Port forwarding seems so bloody complex, anyone able to spare a few minutes to guide me through it roughly?? PortForward.com just confuses me.

Also, should I look into getting the router changed?

Yeah same for me use Bitcomet and tbo am getting fairly good speeds but would like to know how to tweak settings of modem/router. If anyone knows would appreciate any help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

hey there, I have very similar concerns re modem that comes with the 10MB connection re portforwarding & bitcomet and I'll be looking at the wireless option for flexibility as we have a few PC's in the house
    What speed of downloads are you guys currently getting?
    Also, is there multiple connections on the router to allow me to attach a few phones (I would prefer 2/3 of my existing phones to be hooked up)

Cheers

slave1 wrote: »
    What speed of downloads are you guys currently getting?
    Cheers

Getting pretty good speeds at the moment on the 10gb line. On speedtest.net get over 9Mbs off peak and between 4-6 Mbs peak.

Then using bitcomet am getting some downloads at over 1000kb but on average depending on the torrent etc get about 500kb.

that's pretty good, best I can get is around 320kb on BT DSL 3MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

628792820.png

Good or bad result?? 10MB NTL Line.

Good, you're getting 15mb on a 10mb line :)

Hi, my query sorta relates to the cable modem so to avoid an extra thread gonna hop on this one....

With BT at the minute and I have 3 cabled telephones in the house at present that I want to keep.
    I had in my head that I could just plug these into the UPC cable modem and carry on as is.......
    Read their FAQ's supported this
    "We will install a unit which enables your phone(s) to connect to our network. A technician will install this free of charge!"
    I gave them a call to be sure and your wan says that it is UPC's wireless phone ONLY that can connect to their modem, that my existing cabled phones will not be compatible.

Completely in the dark now, can anyone please advise have you got your existing Eircom legacy phones hooked up and working via Chorus/UPC.
    Tks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

slave1 wrote: »
    Completely in the dark now, can anyone please advise have you got your existing Eircom legacy phones hooked up and working via Chorus/UPC.
    Tks

UPC will supply you with a cordless phone. You could add up to three extra cordless phones to that. Really with cordless phones, there is little need for wired phones, cordless is much more convenient.

Alternatively you could wire your existing phones into the UPC modem, by disconnecting your existing phone line at the box where it first comes into the house and then wire it to the port on the UPC modem. However you will need to do this DIY job yourself, UPC won't do it. And no guarantee it will work properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Sorry for hopping on but can anyone recommend a goiod wireless N router for use with the UPC scientific atlanta modem.?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tony wrote: »
    Sorry for hopping on but can anyone recommend a goiod wireless N router for use with the UPC scientific atlanta modem.?

Any wireless N router should work just fine. I strongly recommend getting a dual radio dual band model. The very best model on the market at the moment is the Netgear WNDR3700:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=492607
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-your-buying-netgear-wndr3700-reviewed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks, reason I asked is I have a linksys model but my friend who is a network technician could not get it to workits a WRT 300. Sorry for the OT posts

bk wrote: »
    Any wireless N router should work just fine. I strongly recommend getting a dual radio dual band model. The very best model on the market at the moment is the Netgear WNDR3700:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30925-start-your-buying-netgear-wndr3700-reviewed

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

bealtine wrote: »
    I second that, the Cisco is a rubbish modem. It can't do simple things like bridging (it can do wireless bridging) so there's no point in trying to use another
    router with it. You have to forward every port individually...that's the official Cisco solution.

To help anyone else out there, I've been playing around with the Cisco router and have managed to get it in a semi-bridged mode for use with another router.

This does help massively in not having to open each port separately in both your own router and the cisco.

My main router is at 192.168.1.1
    So set the Cisco to run on 192.168.2.1

Connect the Cisco to your router via ethernet.
    Use the "Fixed CPE IP Assignment" in the Cisco router to assign a "constant/fixed" DHCP (oxymoron I know) ip address to your own router of 192.168.2.2

Go into the DMZ Host section of the Cisco and enter the IP address 192.168.2.2

Voila. Your router is now facing the internet with no Cisco firewall and stuff in the way to disrupt port settings you already have set on your own router.

Do not do this if your own router doesn't have a firewall aspect to it, as all traffic from the internet will arrive at 192.168.2.2 !

I Hope it helps. I'm still changing to the EPC2203 ASAP, but this will tie me over for the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

bk wrote: »

Would the Netgear WNDR3700 work as a cable modem and a router in one box or dose it still need a cable modem to run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I got a 10 mb line installed this week and the equipment supplied was:-
    Scientific Atlantic Cable Modem, model EPC2203
    Netgear Wireless-G Router , model WGR614

Hi,
    As I understand, you can get either this combination (Scientific Atlantic EPC2203 Modem + Netgear WGR614 Router) or Cisco EPC2425 Modem/Router but anybody knows if you can actually select what option you get yourself? I got an impression that it's really up to the installer what they give you.
    Also, since I ordered a phone service as well, will the first combination work with it?
    Cheers:)

The Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 has two EMTA ports for phone service... so no reason why it shouldn't be possible. Anyone who have UPC phone service able to confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Yes, I saw it on the photo too. Thought somebody could comment based on their experience. Anyway, based on my own experience I can now confirm EPC2203 is working grand with their Gigaset AS180 :)

Advertisement