Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water cylinder. What's more economical

Options
  • 16-11-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

This may be a silly question but here goes.
    Recently had a new cylinder fitted with spray on polyurethane insulation. It's standard size and has a thermostat fitted.

Is it more economical to leave it on all the time so it constantly keeps water at set temperature or turn on when needed to heat from cold ?

Hot water usage would be standard - washing up, hand washing, 2 showers in evening, bath for kids twice a week etc. nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Canaboid wrote: »
    This may be a silly question but here goes.
    Recently had a new cylinder fitted with spray on polyurethane insulation. It's standard size and has a thermostat fitted.

Is it more economical to leave it on all the time so it constantly keeps water at set temperature or turn on when needed to heat from cold ?

Hot water usage would be standard - washing up, hand washing, 2 showers in evening, bath for kids twice a week etc. nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

use it only when needed.

I have the same type . We have heated the water with use of the immersion for 2 months to test that same theory. Our lecky bill was through the roof.
    We then used our gas boiler. very modern and efficient . less than half the cost to keep water warm.

there is usually a bath/sink switch on the immersion switch. I use the sink setting for a quick boost once in a while.
    there is 2 heating elements with the electric heat.
    SINK . is a short heating element heating the top section of the tank. (10 Min)
    BATH. A long heating element. Heating the whole tank. (takes ages).

Have a look at your ESB meter when its on. Watch it spin. it goes crazy fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If you are interested in economy there is a heater on the market called a willis immersion heater. I cannot remember the exact principles for a couple of reasons and one being the fact I am up hours and my head hurts but the general principle is that it heats a small amount of water rapidly enough for sinks etc.

From all accounts it is very economical and can be fit inline. I bought a couple trade from excel-industries but I am sure any plumber can get them in most places as its not an exclusive product.

Advertisement