Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cameras around E200 that take the best photos

• 16-11-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

All that matters to me is that it takes crystal clear photographs with stunning detail. I know this is rare because I could not take them with my last two cameras(Casio Exilim and Sony Cyber-shot) no matter what the settings were.

One that I can get in Dublin.

Preferably under 200 euros.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

"crystal clear photographs with stunning detail" isn't going to happen for under €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whats a board?

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    "crystal clear photographs with stunning detail" isn't going to happen for under €200.
    What price do you have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Hi whats a board!

No seriously. What's a board?

Ok, messing aside! What type of camera are you after? Compact/Bridge/DSLR/etc? And while you're thinking about that question, have a read of this thread. It's tremendously useful. Links to loads of sites etc to get you info and maybe narrow down your search a bit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055557678

Asides from the above, for the €200 mark you're probably talking second hand for crystal clear and stunning detail. Because you'll be moving into bridge/dslr territory. I'm not aware of many compacts that offer this.

Hope this helps!

KG

OK well I broke my Casio Exilim and I think I will try and get a replacement screen from Ebay or somewhere. Does anyone know how to find out which cameras share the same screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

What about €250 + €11 p&p for this, I'm sure it will give you better than what your actually looking for.

Olympus SP-570UZ Digital Camera ebay

Review

It would be very user friendly and simple to get great shots, crystal clear!

EDIT: And it shoots RAW for when you find out what that means, go for it,

or this €150

FUJIFILM FINEPIX S1500 10.0 MP DIGITAL CAMERA+8GB~7B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Cameras don't take good photos, people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Crystal clear?
    not being funny but describe your issues with your last cams.
    That way if its motion blur we can recommend better lenses or those renowned for image stabilisation.

Are your pics far away or close up? zoom?
    Edit: noticed last cam's were compacts

pete4130 wrote: »
    Cameras don't take good photos, people do.

Probably the best quote of the night,
    the lad want's a tip on a camera, give him help not an interogation, obviously he hasn't studied photography for the past 10 years but he wants a camera for about €200 not a load of jargon and specifics.

Would you bet on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

uprising wrote: »
    Would you bet on that?

I gotta agree with uprising here. Now, if you'd said "isn't going to happen in a compact for under €200" then, yeah, that's an issue :D.

WAB (I don't quite know what to call you, if I shorten to the letters your name is WAB!) - Are you looking for another compact? Because if you are you're going to struggle with what you're looking for. Uprising made a good suggestion on the olympus. I could also suggest that you could *maybe* pick up a 2nd hand Nikon D40 with a 18 - 55mm lens for around the 300 mark. Now you're into a good quality camera region.

But (I know, always a "but") I have to agree with what Pete said. Sometimes learning more about the camera you have can make you take a better photograph. For example, taking a photo at night at 200 iso, indoors, without a flash, is most likely a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, some compacts will let you bump up the iso to about 800, some even higher than 1000, and then you might actually pull off some pretty decent photos. On the other hand, if it's daytime photos then I'm a little stuck. I used a Nikon Coolpix L6 for years, and it took wicked photos. I only upgraded because I had outgrown it for a long time. So I move onto a DSLR. Best move I ever made. BUT, I still use the Nikon Coolpix. I carry it most places with me. Just because it doesn't carry more pixels or isn't as sharp as the D60 does not make it a bad camera.

Maybe I've rambled a bit. But it's just some food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As mentioned if you want to take photos with stunning image quality you're really going to have to move into SLR territory. Below are the two cheapest SLR cameras on Pixmania. One without a lens and one with.

Olympus E-420 - €279
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/894318/art/olympus/e-420.html

Olympus EE-420 with two lens - €406
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3493862/art/olympus/ee-420-14-42mm-lens-40-15.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

As mentioned if you want to take photos with stunning image quality you're really going to have to move into SLR territory. Below are the two cheapest SLR cameras on Pixmania. One without a lens and one with.

Olympus E-420 - €279
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/894318/art/olympus/e-420.html

Olympus EE-420 with two lens - €406
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3493862/art/olympus/ee-420-14-42mm-lens-40-15.html

It's possible to get the E420 with a lens for that price,

http://photoagora.gr/olympus-e-420-kit-14-42mm.html?&sl=EN

The site is in Greece but I've seen good reports of it in DPReview, and IIRC somebody from here (duffarama?) has purchased from them with no problems.

nilhg wrote: »

The site is in Greece but I've seen good reports of it in DPReview, and IIRC somebody from here (duffarama?) has purchased from them with no problems.

Well that's even better for the OP or anyone who wants to step up a gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I did! I got an E620 and 25mm pancake from them, took about 2-3 weeks as I only got basic shipping. Got a call from Athens as he handed the camera to the courier to verify my address and the lack of a postcode.

Superb service.

I'm not sure about the whole idea that it is how you take the photo that matters. I've read that before on the internet, but no matter what combination of settings I used, no matter how I adjusted the ISO, focus etc. the camera did not take detailed, clear photos.
    Crystal clear?
    not being funny but describe your issues with your last cams.
    That way if its motion blur we can recommend better lenses or those renowned for image stabilisation.
    I don't know how to describe. They lacked detail.
    Are your pics far away or close up? zoom?
    Edit: noticed last cam's were compacts
    Both. Any photo, whether close up or far away were not good.

As for the Olympus recommended, I cannot understand Greek unfortunately and therefore would be hesitant about purchasing from that site. As for the Pixmania version......what difference does it not having a lens make? I searched google and found nothing on this.
    WAB (I don't quite know what to call you, if I shorten to the letters your name is WAB!) - Are you looking for another compact? Because if you are you're going to struggle with what you're looking for. Uprising made a good suggestion on the olympus. I could also suggest that you could *maybe* pick up a 2nd hand Nikon D40 with a 18 - 55mm lens for around the 300 mark. Now you're into a good quality camera region.

But (I know, always a "but") I have to agree with what Pete said. Sometimes learning more about the camera you have can make you take a better photograph. For example, taking a photo at night at 200 iso, indoors, without a flash, is most likely a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, some compacts will let you bump up the iso to about 800, some even higher than 1000, and then you might actually pull off some pretty decent photos. On the other hand, if it's daytime photos then I'm a little stuck. I used a Nikon Coolpix L6 for years, and it took wicked photos. I only upgraded because I had outgrown it for a long time. So I move onto a DSLR. Best move I ever made. BUT, I still use the Nikon Coolpix. I carry it most places with me. Just because it doesn't carry more pixels or isn't as sharp as the D60 does not make it a bad camera.
    I searched about what compact cameras are, and from what I've read, I don't care about whether it is compact or not. I just want a digital camera that I can take, as I said, crystal clear photos with stunning quality. And yes, that includes outdoor photographs, with people in them.

Another question... The LCD screen is broken on my Exilim camera(faded to virtually nothing) after I put it in the washing machine accidentally. I have no warranty. The camera actually works other than the screen, it takes photographs and I can put them on my computer and look at them, but I am basically "blind" when taking them because there is no screen.

I have read a guide on how to replace the screen, and I have found somewhere I can buy a replacement screen. Will that work considering it was broken because of fluid and not because of force?

There is always the chance that it will. People do replace the screens on their compacts occasionally but we can't give you a 100% definitive answer. Who knows what other damage was done to the camera when it was in the wash. While the screen may have been damaged it's possible that other elements that cause the image to display on screen many have been affected too.

There are two things you can do:

1 - Buy the replacement screen and if it works then brilliant. If it doesn't well you gave it a go

2 - Rather than risk the possibility of the above not working buy a new/better camera and be more careful. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Re the greek website, top right hand corner, click the word english or use the following link http://photoagora.gr/index.php?&sl=EN

Also, you can email them and they get back to you very promptly with perfect english if you have any questions.

Here's a good camera for you, my GF has one and it takes a good shot, well under your budget, give the others you have to the charity on here looking for old digital cameras.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/CANON-POWERSHOT-A470-RED-7MP-DIG-CAMERA-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ260500465736QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item3ca709a848

I'll root out a pic from this camera and post it here.

WAB, maybe since you just want a camera that can take stunning pictures, it might be worth your while spending a while on flickr's camera finder, find the makes and models reccomended to you here and see for yourself what they are capable of, the rest then would be up to you and your willingness to learn to get the best out of it.

• Advertisement

WAB, maybe since you just want a camera that can take stunning pictures, it might be worth your while spending a while on flickr's camera finder, find the makes and models reccomended to you here and see for yourself what they are capable of, the rest then would be up to you and your willingness to learn to get the best out of it.

That's a very good suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Thank you for this info. I'd been toying with the idea of a Panasonic LX3 but it would end up c eur400. I know the E420 is a bulkier camera but is a step into a different realm of photography from the Panasonic FX01 compact that I have.

One question, please. E420 pancake lens is F2.8. I think LX3 is F2.0. Does this mean the LX3 would give better results in low light than the E420 with F2.8?

I'm thinking, in particular, of some wedding shots I took in a church recently. Results were terrible although I thought there was adequate natural light.

Maybe the answer is to use flash?

Sorry - I should have started a separate thread, probably.

denat wrote: »
    Thank you for this info. I'd been toying with the idea of a Panasonic LX3 but it would end up c eur400. I know the E420 is a bulkier camera but is a step into a different realm of photography from the Panasonic FX01 compact that I have.

One question, please. E420 pancake lens is F2.8. I think LX3 is F2.0. Does this mean the LX3 would give better results in low light than the E420 with F2.8?

I'm thinking, in particular, of some wedding shots I took in a church recently. Results were terrible although I thought there was adequate natural light.

Maybe the answer is to use flash?

Sorry - I should have started a separate thread, probably.

Firstly I've no personal experience of the LX3 abut I am aware of its reputation but I would imagine both it and the 420 would be well ahead of your present model. I'd suggest having a look on flickr, using the camera finder link from above, and finding shots taken under the circumstances you are worried about.

While the Olys are relatively weak in noise performance compared to other DSLRs they are comfortably in another league compared to all but the very best compacts.

You should consider that for less than the price of the LX3 you could get the E420 with either the pancake or 14-42 and also a decent metz flash,the possibilities with a tilt and swivel wireless controlled flash are almost endless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I read that the Fujifilm finepix F70 EXR and 200 are very good for lowlight.
    The 70 has a 10X optical zoo, the 200 a 5X.

There's a review of the F70 in this months digital camera essentials.

see crave review here.

I was thinking of getting a Panasonic TZ 7 for everyday use (12x optical zoom) but am now considering the F70. Am going to do some more research but if it's better in low light that could be a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I've decided to get the Canon S90 (about €260 from the States).

Advertisement