Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pear Cider/Perry

Options
  • 16-11-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Does it annoy anyone that Perry is being marketed as "Pear Cider" because I am just the kind of bored individual to post a new thread on the subject.:pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does it annoy anyone that Perry is being marketed as "Pear Cider"
    Not annoy, exactly, but it is stupid, and sort of dumby-downy. It's certainly less of a tragedy than the chemical torture C&C put the poor innocent fruit through.

Now, who's for a nice glass of cabernet sauvignon grape cider?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

EXACTLY its the fact all consumers are not expected to understand a word that lets face it sounds like something marketing came up with anyway. Grr :rolleyes:
    Isn't it pear cider thought?
    It really is called Perry. this is along the same lines of wine being made from grapes then thinking how wonderful it would be to use the same process on bananas and calling it banana wine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It happens. You'll often see mead described as "honey wine"*. Wine and cider are basically synonyms -- only one's grapes by default and the other's apples.

*including Bunratty "mead", which isn't true mead at all but a honeyed grape wine properly called pyment. Because life is insufficiently complicated as-is.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

I just looked up pyment and am none the wiser but already like the word! And after a quick search came up with this which frankly sounds like a bottle taken from the fountain of youth:

Bunratty Mead or Meade is an extraordinary, legendary, mystical drink with strong attachments to Ireland.
    From Here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Basically it coems down to the fact that not everyone knows what Perry is, and almost everyone has an idea what cider is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Thanks guys!#?! Now I have to go out and try to find Perry in California. This is going to be like a Tomb Raider hunt. Blue puts on Laura Croft outfit and prepares to charge out the door to shop before the markets close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Thanks guys!#?! Now I have to go out and try to find Perry in California..

Try some where like trade joe's/ Beverages & More, or English importer if there are any near

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Thanks guys!#?! Now I have to go out and try to find Perry in California.

I'd say you shouldn't have too much trouble! There's a meadery there that makes black cherry cider (wonder what the proper name for that is :) ) called Rabbit's Foot, if you find a shop that sells that you'll probably find some perry as well :D

Advertisement