Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Destiny, Cool or Ugly?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭

Something that I have found about the Destiny is that I originally laughed at how ugly and stupid looking it looked in the pilot episode.

Now we're 6 or 7 or so episodes in and I actually think its starting to look good. Its no Defiant but I've kinda done a 180 on it now and think its cool.

also..... When I hear the name Destiny I can't help doing my Rush impression and saying "the design is clearly ancient".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

..."in the truest sense of the word..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Was going to post a similar thread all things Destiny.

I think its a cool looking ship, but its very hard to get a true size of it as we have nothing to compare it against yet. I think its roughly the size of the Deadlus class earth ships, maybe smaller.

I think its just as big a charater as any of the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

We need to see more of it's tech. The gate room and mess hall are getting stale. Surely there's a bridge on it? Or an engine room?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

We haven't seen enough of the ship yet.

i think its much bigger than you guys think - compare the size of a person standing on the observation deck looking at the fore of the ship - then compare the size of the observation deck compared to the rest of the ship when viewed from the distance/front view.

its big its no atlantis but its much bigger than a deadalus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I dont think it is, if you compare it to the size of the shuttles its not big at all.

fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

While looking up the Destiny wiki and controlling my laughter at "Destiny possesses a vast array of yellow energy weapons" I stumbled across this list of rooms/areas of the ship.
    Communication lab
    Control interface room
    Crew quarters
    Gate room
    Hydroponics lab
    Infirmary
    Kino room
    Mess hall
    Nexus room
    Observation deck
    Showers

Now there's two things on that list that are either a guess, a spoiler, or I've not bein paying attention enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your guess is as good as mine. I'd wager we havent seen a few yet. I dont consider that info spoilered, but purists might.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

"The design is clearly Ancient"

I can't remember seeing ANYTHING Ancient in either SG1 or SGA that looked at all like Destiny. Aside from the Ancient writing, its completely unique! It doesn't have the clean, cut lines of Atlantis, I always think Destiny is kind of steampunk or something.

I realise its hundreds of thousands of years older than Atlantis but when you compare the two, you'd think they were built by different races.

I like it btw, I'm just sayin'....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Raidenshred

I wouldn't say it's either cool or ugly (oh, a wuss answer), just... uninspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Conor108 wrote: »
    I always think Destiny is kind of steampunk or something.

Yup, therefore it's ugly AND cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

herya wrote: »
    Yup, therefore it's ugly AND cool!

Ugol or Coly

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Conor108 wrote: »
    I realise its hundreds of thousands of years older than Atlantis but when you compare the two, you'd think they were built by different races.

I like it btw, I'm just sayin'....

Compare the ships that we have now to the ones we had 100s of years ago. Completely different design. Surely over 100,000s of years the design of their ships, cities, technology etc would change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It's ugly. All that Destiny puts me in mind of is a Cardassian Galor-class warship flying backwards:

Galor_class,_weapons_array,_mid-dorsal.jpg

I wasnt going to say anything,

but WH40k: Necron Battleship

49198c30df5dc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Overheal wrote: »
    I wasnt going to say anything,

but WH40k: Necron Battleship

49198c30df5dc

Looks nothing like that tbh

I like the look of the destiny, but still always get the feeling that its newer than the Milkyway gate system and tech. see the time travailing bench and Dakara temple/weapon.

But I still like the look of it. Cant wait to see more of the internal of the ship. Could one of them rooms been the large dome that's exposed to vacuum seen in Air part 1 and 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I think its pretty cool. It does give the feeling of being a bit of a rust bucket at times. I particularly like when the gate shuts down, blasts of steam shoot out from the ground. Don't really understand why but it looks cool.

From the outside the ship looks pretty decent. I like the pyrmamid thing at the back. Dont really like the look of the shuttles though, fairly boring looking.

Maybe someone could fill me in on this. Do we know the purpose of the destiny. Do we know why it has quarters, showers a mess hall and hydroponics lab. Obviously the ancients intended to go there at some stage but have we been told why they didn't? I'd assume it Wraith, Ori or magic plague troubles or something.

sutty wrote: »
    Looks nothing like that tbh
    destiny.JPG

Except where they've added a giant bow-shock intergalactic penis, yes it does. Its just a Necron batteslhip with a big erection throwing its arms/wings back to thrust into a young wan. Architecture is also very similar, Pyramids and all.

Stargate%20Univers:%20Destiny.jpg

/still looks cool

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

After looking at the opening where it zooms in the ship in the first episode..the ship is actually pretty small..the long pointy bit of the ship doesnt seem a huge amount wider than the shuttle as I first thought..a size comparison with other known ships might become a problem I think if the ship does come across( for what ever reason) ships we already know about..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭thegrove54

the only thing i really like about it are the weapons systems but they drain the power fairly fast so like if it got into a fight wouldn;t they be dead in the water after about two minutes??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

thegrove54 wrote: »
    the only thing i really like about it are the weapons systems but they drain the power fairly fast so like if it got into a fight wouldn;t they be dead in the water after about two minutes??

The power was already extremely low at that stage. Given that it's back to full batteries now it should last a whole lot longer.

The power was already extremely low at that stage. Given that it's back to full batteries now it should last a whole lot longer.
    No, they charged them, and then Telford ran his little Thought Experiment on powering the gate. Then they fired the Weapon system to drain the batteries again to trigger the recharge again - but its not clear how long they fired the weapons systems for in order to drain them. It could have been hours or days. You would need to reference some of the Earth scenes on that one.

As for capacity they mentioned something about the Destiny only having about half of its designed power potential left in it - far less than needed to Dial Earth. Like a 5 year old laptop (except kept better!) in which you dont expect it to hold a charge as if it were brand new.

Overheal wrote: »
    No, they charged them, and then Telford ran his little Thought Experiment on powering the gate. Then they fired the Weapon system to drain the batteries again to trigger the recharge again - but its not clear how long they fired the weapons systems for in order to drain them. It could have been hours or days. You would need to reference some of the Earth scenes on that one.

Ah, yeah. I remember it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Do you remember the first episode where they opened the door to the dome it was massive, well the dome is visible on the mid deck and its fairly small. Very large ship.

I think it looks cool its just SGA is the slowest show in the history of TV.

Advertisement