Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 Speakers

Options
  • 16-11-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey all,

Looking to get myself some new speakers. I had ordered a Creative G500 set from Komplett, but when it didnt show up and I rang them to find out what was going on they told me they were being discontinued ^^ ... kay

So, as it stands, there seems to be a huge gap in the market for 5.1 speakers. If you want a 70 watt solution you are spoilt for choice, but take 1 step up and it seems your only option is a 500 watt logitech! Thats a big ass gap, surely theres something in between? :confused:

I dont mind the cost, I just want 5.1 (or 7.1) which fall within the 160W-300W range.

(A snapshot of what Ive seen over the last 2 hours, courtesy of Scan.co.uk)
    5-1speakersscan.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Whats wrong with the 500W if money isn't an issue? I have Z5500's, they're my pride & joy, I can shake my whole house if I so chose :P

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

I live in an apartment and my neighbours have never wronged me :p

Yes I could get them and keep um low and put the subwoofer on something (and thats what will more than likely happen if I cant find something a tad saner), but its such overkill... A couple of rigs back I got the S750, at the time I had no idea what I was getting, they were major overkill I gave um away.

I just dont understand why theres dozens of 70 watt setups out there and then nothing between that and a 505 watt Z-5500 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

swirlser wrote: »
    I live in an apartment and my neighbours have never wronged me :p

Yes I could get them and keep um low and put the subwoofer on something (and thats what will more than likely happen if I cant find something a tad saner), but its such overkill... A couple of rigs back I got the S750, at the time I had no idea what I was getting, they were major overkill I gave um away.

I just dont understand why theres dozens of 70 watt setups out there and then nothing between that and a 505 watt Z-5500 :/

Cheepskates who dont know better is why lol.

The Z5500's really are ****ing amazing tho the sound from them is just fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

Whats wrong with the 500W if money isn't an issue? I have Z5500's, they're my pride & joy, I can shake my whole house if I so chose :P

amen to that:D
    z5500 the best sound system i ever got i paid nearly 400 euro 2 yrs ago for them and is still worth every penny.

Ugh, I give up ^^

Went into Bose and Bang & Olufsen today.

Bose point blank do not have a surround sound solution for a desktop and the silly woman kept trying to push 2.1's on me >.<; (Hi, I own 3 pairs already, as nice as they are, I want an actual 5.1 not "5.1".... *tumble weeds* *some smiles and nods* aaaand I left).

B&O dont specifically do 5.1 desktop solutions but were willing to customise a home theatre system for me... I felt like I was standing atop of overkill island's equivalent to Everest. There is a dozen or so speakers in this room already at present, adding a bunch of 2 feet tall speakers :eek:, oh boy... But kudos to the nice folks in B&O who were very knowledgeable, helpful and know how to treat a customer.

Tried searching state-side and apart from 2nd hand, they have as sucky a selection as we do o.O

So, Z-5500 it is.

(But wow a thousand times at that gap that currently exists)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Komplett doing em atm for €275 and go with the free Pick up point collection as they weigh a ton so you dont wanna be getting the likes of DHL or UPS adding 250 quid to the price :)

Or buy em in Peats for €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why not go with something like the Yamaha AV65 package below? It can be had for between €400-500. It's a much better setup than the Logitechs as it's more vesatile and supports more audio formats.

Yamaha%20AV65K.jpg

Righty, I got my speakers the other day and last night I set um up...

First thought as I opened the box was "why the face" is this thing o.O The sub is pretty damn big.... altho its looks are deceiving, it doesnt actually carry as much punch as I thought it would and its not as heavy as it looks either (for eg, the middle Bose woofer is almost the same weight).

subs.jpg

Volume wise, yes it goes up nice and loud - much more than I require (sorry to the folks living below me if you ever read this XD) ... but I actually miss the sound from my Bose :/ Perhaps Ill get used to them more with time or fiddle with the settings...

All things considered, I hadnt massive expectations given the price, but at the same time the wattage on them was overkill - I really wasnt sure what id be getting. So for what you get for your money, they are very nice.

Advertisement