Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-factor Dermot Screws Up!

Options
  • 16-11-2009 11:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

X-Factor host Dermot O'Leary, has been criticised for joking about death threats received by 18-year-old twins John and Edward Grimes.

During the filming of comedy music panel show Never Mind the Buzzcocks, O'Leary laughed about the twins, and their unpopularity among some viewers.
    O' Leary joked: 'John and Edward have received so many death threats we've had to close the phone lines.
    'So please don't call - your death threat won't count, but you may still be charged.'
    He also poked fun at Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh as he played guest host on the risqué BBC2 show and referred to Walsh's sexuality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Read that today. Dermot's turned into a tw*t this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Maybe I should phone in and give him a small taste of what John & Edward are getting and he might not be joking then :rolleyes:.

But then again, I'm not that mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Oh the humanity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I used to like him but he's turned into a god damn almighty too big for his boots gobschite.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Oh, how terrible :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Why criticize him when he was joking?
    Isn't that what that programme is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That's the nature of the programme ,to joke and tak the pee out of who is in the headlines/ flavour of the month , in this case JEward .

Latchy wrote: »
    That's the nature of the programme ,to joke and tak the pee out of who is in the headlines/ flavour of the month , in this case JEward .

True but to bring up a persons sexuality?
    If Louis wanted that mentioned in public, surely that's his decision - or what happened to the right of personal privacy in such a personal area!
    If Dermot started joking about Stephen Gately's sexuality or someone else, would that still be funny too? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Biggins wrote: »
    If Louis wanted that mentioned in public, surely that's his decision - or what happened to the right of personal privacy in such a personal area!
    If Dermot started joking about Stephen Gately's sexuality or someone else, would that still be funny too? :(
    All for cheap laughs. A Gately joke would be completely horrible and I doubt it would happen so soon especially on the Beeb

All for cheap laughs. A Gately joke would be completely horrible and I doubt it would happen so soon especially on the Beeb
    Thats exactly it, CHEAP laughs and not fitting for any decent presenter worth their salt.
    They don't need such cheap and such very personal digs to make an audience laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

He didn't, so your point is completely moot.

As for the OP, who cares? It was a fecking joke.

Orizio wrote: »
    He didn't, so your point is completely moot.
    In YOUR opinion...
    but in others, some see no difference between making sad jokes about one persons PRIVATE sexuality about one person and another.

:(

I can't find a link to that.

What did he say about Louis?

Btw, everyone in the business knows Louis is gay.
    He admitted that he just doesn't want his mam to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I used to like him but he's turned into a god damn almighty too big for his boots gobschite.

lol usual crap..

I used to like him but now he's actually making a name for himself and becoming successful, so I hate him now.

Welcome to Ireland folks.

He also poked fun at Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh as he played guest host on the risqué BBC2 show and referred to Walsh's sexuality.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1228244/X-Factor-Dermot-O-Leary-criticised-joking-Jedward-received-death-threats-weve-close-phone-lines.html#ixzz0X49daMNL

So Dermot thinks he has been given the right to joke about something louis considers something so serious?
    Amazing! I'm all for risky jokes but to go publicly joke about something that Dermot knows Louis wanted to be kept private, is a betrayal of trust at the very least.

lol usual crap..
    I used to like him but now he's actually making a name for himself and becoming successful, so I hate him now.

Its got nothing to do with him being successful - please don't assume your speaking for me!
    I wish anyone success, especially at the present time.
    I have grown tired of O'Leary (as have a lot of folk lately) just because of his cocky mouth lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I rate Dermot more as host /tv presenter than I do Louis as a judge ,it's just Dermot is moving up the ladder while Louis '' I am a judge ,he (Dermot ) is only a presenter '' is already there .Poking fun of him being gay ? ...pfft .....this is 2009 ,everybody gets poked at these days .
    lol usual crap..

Yup that's what it sounds like to me

So Dermot thinks he has been given the right to joke about something louis considers something so serious?
    Amazing! I'm all for risky jokes but to go publicly joke about something that Dermot knows Louis wanted to be kept private, is a betrayal of trust at the very least.

I don't see why you are getting worked up about it tbh, as what he said was dropped from the programme.

Not because it was wrong but because of his connection to the X-Factor.

It was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ almighty.. it was a joke!

Lighten up! :rolleyes:

I don't see why you are getting worked up about it tbh, as what he said was dropped from the programme.
    Not because it was wrong but because of his connection to the X-Factor.
    It was a joke.

...and I get that.
    I guessing Loius might be having a word with his current show co-star about slagging his private sexuality in public.
    Joking about his talents or lack there of, his face, his whatever might be considered open season and maybe rightly so but for something that clearly Louis wants to keep so personal and private, I'm amazed that Dermot would do such a thing in public, never mind to be recorded for public consumption (although now on the editing floor).
    Its a sad day when a person has to make jokes about something so private and personal in public about another human - especially one that your working with.
    Dermot surely is better than that?

• Advertisement

But it's his choice to publicly come out if he wants to or not. Dermot got in trouble last year for the gay and camp jibes, and I think it's completely unfair. He doesn't treat any of the other judges like that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

...and I get that.
    I guessing Loius might be having a word with his current show co-star about slagging his private sexuality in public.
    Joking about his talents or lack there of, his face, his whatever might be considered open season and maybe rightly so but for something that clearly Louis wants to keep so personal and private, I'm amazed that Dermot would do such a thing in public, never mind to be recorded for public consumption (although now on the editing floor).
    Its a sad day when a person has to make jokes about something so private and personal in public about another human - especially one that your working with.
    Dermot surely is better than that?
    You don't really see that is a bad attempt at a joke, but a joke all the same. It was a poor joke by a man who is not very comical at all. That's it no alteriror motive just bad comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Dermot is gay too i thought?

el dude wrote: »
    Dermot is gay too i thought?

No, he's in a long term relationship with a woman. And even if he was, it wouldn't make a difference, what he says about Louis is still personal and wrong. Louis is quite private about his personal life and Dermot should respect that.

You don't really see that is a bad attempt at a joke, but a joke all the same. It was a poor joke by a man who is not very comical at all. That's it no ulterior motive just bad comedy.

100% agree - just a bad joke. I don't think there was an ulterior motive either.
    I've heard Dermot loads of times before and he is usually much, much better than this level of comedy.
    I think he just let himself down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Have to agree with Sharpshooter and others here. NMTB is a show built completely on the piss take. I'll have to assume the people taking offense on here have never seen the show and if they have then lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Louis has shoved himself in the headlines for his two finger attack etc, he is a public figure therefore his sexuality will be spoken about. Its a show thats meant to be funny anyway. And tbh I think its louis that has become the pain in the ass this year. (excuse the pun!) But he is a horrible little man this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Am.... theres no explicit reference to what was said so i don't think anyone can judge it based on the fact that he referenced Walsh's sexuality. Its a comedy show... it was a joke... there's worse being said about people in jest every day of the week.

The Jedward joke was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

Me thinks the bold Dermot wont be on this show next year and is trying to up his profile before Simon decides to give him the chop . Is he even smaller than Ray Darcey.This show is the greatest load of crap that has been put in a long time

• Advertisement

The Jedward joke was funny
    Absolutely, at least it wasn't very personal at them - and if it was, it was in a light manner at something we all hear and see publicly on the show.
    Louis persuasion however for Louis is a personal and private thing, especially in reference to his mother and her feelings - or are we allowed to just over look that for the sake of a cheap laugh?

Dermot surely is better than that. I think given the nature of the comedy show, he might have got carried away with himself for the sake of trying for a (cheap) laugh.
    Don't forget, if the joke was that ok, they would still be broadcasting the full version of it!

Advertisement