Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-factor Dermot Screws Up!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Biggins wrote: »
    I used to like him but he's turned into a god damn almighty too big for his boots gobschite.

So you bring it up on a message board because of that.
    Thats exactly it, CHEAP laughs and not fitting for any decent presenter worth their salt.
    They don't need such cheap and such very personal digs to make an audience laugh.

I'll be willing to bet that the audience got the joke though.
    So Dermot thinks he has been given the right to joke about something louis considers something so serious?
    Amazing! I'm all for risky jokes but to go publicly joke about something that Dermot knows Louis wanted to be kept private, is a betrayal of trust at the very least.

How so?
    It is widely known in showbiz that he is gay.
    ...and I get that.
    I guessing Loius might be having a word with his current show co-star about slagging his private sexuality in public.
    Joking about his talents or lack there of, his face, his whatever might be considered open season and maybe rightly so but for something that clearly Louis wants to keep so personal and private, I'm amazed that Dermot would do such a thing in public, never mind to be recorded for public consumption (although now on the editing floor).
    Its a sad day when a person has to make jokes about something so private and personal in public about another human - especially one that your working with.
    Dermot surely is better than that?

It cannot be private and personal in the world of showbiz when everyone knows already.
    But it's his choice to publicly come out if he wants to or not. Dermot got in trouble last year for the gay and camp jibes, and I think it's completely unfair. He doesn't treat any of the other judges like that at all.

And we don't know what led up to him saying what he did.

It was probably something thrown out there by the presenter and answered glibly by Dermot.

Storm in a teacup tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

O'Leary is a rubbish presenter, they should get rid of him after this series and sign up ant and dec for the next!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

How so?

Yeah in "showbiz", I didn't know he was gay, I am sure a few in the audience didnt. Not everybody is in "showbiz"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'll be willing to bet that the audience got the joke though.
    I'm sure they did, we all would have maybe, at least those that might have suspected - that don't make a private thing right to publicly joke about on national tv does it?
    Yes - for some, but he wants it kept private - and for such a sensitive and personal thing for him, off air. If he wished to bring the matter up, surely that is his prerogative - or is everything everyone is, considered open season?
    When did the right to privacy, non-sexual exposure 100% die?
    It cannot be private and personal in the world of showbiz when everyone knows already.
    Why not?
    Just because some think they know it (has it been PROVED yet?), does that automatically make it available for public consumption?
    And we don't know what led up to him saying what he did.
    I'm guessing but I'd say the media have no wish to repeat the poor joke he made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

what id like to know is what kind of sadar$e would even bother their 'ole picking up the phone and ring in with a death threat for the two buckos?
    i mean seriously, the two lil scamps are already the butt of a big aul joke, let them have their fun while they can i say, it makes for good oul fashioned cringe tv, let them have their 5 minutes, their only a pair a kiddies at the end of the day.

(gwan the jeds!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I didn't know he was gay

oh come on!!!!!!

I'm sure they did, we all would have maybe, at least those that might have suspected - that don't make a private thing right to publicly joke about on national tv does it?

Yes - for some, but he wants it kept private. If he wished to bring the matter up, surely that is his prerogative - or is everything everyone is, considered open season?
    When did the right to privacy, non-sexual exposure 100% die?

Well I would imagine it died in Louis case when he admitted he was gay.

That's hardly wanting to keep it private.

Look it was a joke and I can't help feeling that you are making a mountain out of a molehill because as you said you don't like Dermot.

Well I would imagine it died in Louis case when he admitted he was gay.
    That's hardly wanting to keep it private.
    Look it was a joke and I can't help feeling that you are making a mountain out of a molehill because as you said you don't like Dermot.

I'm growing to dislike him and his attempts at over-reaching at the current rate he is going at.
    Its irking a lot of people at present.
    From previous times of seeing him on air, I know he is much better than this. I hope he returns to that form.

Just out of curiosity - when did Louis announce that he was gay?
    Is there an article out there in the public domain/media where he stated this or outed himself? Link?
    I've never come across it and I get told of a lot of private and personal things.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

louis works in show business is as camp as christmas has been on occassion photographed in the most amazing garish costumes and his mammy dont know he is gay, give me a break I dont think the women is brain dead .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I'm growing
    Link?
    When you hang out in gay bars and clubs a lot it's usually (although not always the case ) because you're gay .

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    When you hang out in gay bars and clubs a lot it's usually (although not always the case ) because you're gay.
    So that make a personal thing open season?
    ...You know and can prove he hangs around gay bars? Proof?
    ...and that make it ok to go over ones personal rights to privacy and joke about it publicly?
    Come on, I've said it already and I'll say it again, Dermot is better than that.

I'm personally not about cutting off anyones right to tell jokes that others might not agree with but when it comes to something so intensely private for one person, surely Dermot should have been more professional to his co-worker?
    Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thought the OP was hilarious myself :P

Is there an article out there in the public domain/media where he stated this or outed himself? Link?
    I've never come across it and I get told of a lot of private and personal things.

I knew as I was typing that, that you would ask for proof.

I cannot remember which magazine article it was Biggins but it stayed in my memory that the only person he was worried about finding out he was gay was his mam.

I can't provide evidence but I give you my word that I did read the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Cowell's been making subtle jibes about Walsh's sexuality for years on the live shows - no-one's ever kicked up a fuss over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

As far I have read on this thread Louis' private ( but, gay nevertheless) sexuality is kept private because he doesn't want his mum to know.

One can only hope she doesnt have an internet connnection, and thus can't accidentally google her way into this thread when it is spidered, possibly by typing Dermot O'Leary & Louis Walsh.

Privacy, ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

...and that make it ok to go over ones personal rights to privacy and joke about it publicly?
    Come on, I've said it already and I'll say it again, Dermot is better than that.

I'm personally not about cutting off anyones right to tell jokes that others might not agree with but when it comes to something so intensely private for one person, surely Dermot should have been more professional to his co-worker?
    Just a thought.

You're so right it's absolutely shocking, I never knew Louis was gay next it will be Freddie Mercury, someone should call Joe Duffy.

I knew as I was typing that, that you would ask for proof.
    I cannot remember which magazine article it was Biggins but it stayed in my memory that the only person he was worried about finding out he was gay was his mam.
    I can't provide evidence but I give you my word that I did read the interview.
    As your a straight (no pun intended! - seriously) and honest person, I'll take your word. :)

I just think Dermot let himself go a wee bit too far. He got "the run of himself" as they say.
    Its a pity that for some people all things private about them (that is in the public eye) is considered open territory for poor jokes.
    It just sad to see such things being done for the sake of a quick laugh.
    Don't get me wrong Louis can be an irritating plonker at the best of times.
    I, myself however would not consider some intensely private things about him as jokeable items.
    ...but then thats just me - and maybe hopefully, a few others.

Dont have a link but I recall seeing a pic of him in one of the glossy mags about a year or two ago , coming out of a gay bar but the issue is (according to yourself ) was Dermot remarks offensive ' ? not if Louis is gay , he is . If I knew he was gay about 2 years ago then the most of the world did to .

Dont have a link but I recall seeing a pic of him in one of the glossy mags about a year or two ago , coming out of a gay bar but the issue is (according to yourself ) was Dermot remarks offensive ' ? not if Louis is gay , he is . If I knew he was gay about 2 years ago then the most of the world did to .
    It might be my error in clarity but its not about "offensive" jokes, its just the right to still have a modicum of privacy in ones personal life.
    Thats all - and again I'll take your word that you seen a picture somewhere.
    For the record, I've walked in and out of gay bars. If someone took my picture entering or leaving, I hope it don't prove that I am automatically gay, no matter what way I am dressed.
    If it does, my wife is in for a hell off a shock - then again - so am I! :eek: :pac:

its just the right to still have a modicum of privacy in ones personal life.

For the love of God!!

This is a public forum where you are discussing the man's sexuality!!!!

• Advertisement

As your a straight (no pun intended! - seriously) and honest person, I'll take your word. :)

I just think Dermot let himself go a wee bit too far. He got "the run of himself" as they say.

Probably he did, but you have to keep in mind the TV programme he was guesting in.

It is lighthearted and have a go television.

I would imagine he knew it wouldn't air.

Probably he did, but you have to keep in mind the TV programme he was guesting in.
    It is light-hearted and have a go television.
    I would imagine he knew it wouldn't air.
    Very true, its easy in that kind of "atmosphere" to get carried away by comedy momentum.
    Possibly when he though about it later, he was glad it won't go to air.
    Clearly someone directing and/or editing thought so too.

They also have a lot of jokes on the Buzzcocks, and we see a tiny minority of them.

That said, It could have been dropped for privacy reasons.

This whole topic is a joke. Dermot said something that wasn't aired - the Daily Mail publishes it, and the Biggens links what they publish.

All in the name of protecting the man's privacy.

Joke.

its just the right to still have a modicum of privacy in ones personal life.
    Rock Hudson kept being gay a secret for many years .That was way back then . Trying to be private about your sexuality , even if it is to protect his mothers feelings , while constantly in the public eye is not an option ,not in 2009 .

Its not an option with the Dail Mail protecting people's privacy, sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Kristian_ wrote: »
    O'Leary is a rubbish presenter, they should get rid of him after this series and sign up ant and dec for the next!

Good God NO!!!!!!!

I dont see what the big fuss is about tbh..........O' Leary made a joke on a comedy show. SHOCKER!!!!!!!!

Rock Hudson kept being gay a secret for many years. That was way back then. Trying to be private about your sexuality , even if it is to protect his mothers feelings, while constantly in the public eye is not an option, not in 2009 .
    Sadly true. Its a pity none the less.
    asdasd wrote: »
    Its not an option with the Dail Mail protecting people's privacy, sure.
    ...and that's the tabloid media for you sadly too. Its a pity Dermot has "cracked the egg" to give them more rubbish to fill their papers with.

jd007 wrote: »
    Good God NO!!!!!!!

I'd still watch Dermot over those two ANY day!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats exactly it, CHEAP laughs and not fitting for any decent presenter worth their salt.
    They don't need such cheap and such very personal digs to make an audience laugh.

But everyone can talk about people like Jordan riding anything that moves cos , being straight, they are fair game, yeah?

• Advertisement

For me? No.

Have a go for maybe leaving a sick child at home, her constantly having a go at her ex or her constant partying according to the press she finds herself in and an image she does nothing to stop its perpetuation...
    ...sadly the tabloids are unfortunately a law unto themselves.

Sadly, as if to prove the point!
    Todays Mirror: http://www.3am.co.uk/jordan-katie-price-im-a-celebrity-wont-eat-willies/19671/

Advertisement