Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N97, Any ideas

• 16-11-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey to all, i just got Nokia N97 as a present. just wondering is there any cool stuff that i can do with it. i am stupid when it comes to this type of thing.

many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

You can send it to me and thus give yourself reason to feel good...about yourself. The coolest gift of all!

Nah,
    Seriously: 1st thing before you do too much, make sure firmware is updated to 2.xxx - 1.2 sux.

Then make sure you install all apps on the 'mass memory', NOT the phone's memory! That'll make it run a lot better.

Other cool things?
    Cam's good imho. Musicplayer is alright. Browse the web. Keep spare change between screen and keyboard?
    What would you like to do? Lets start there?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

strecker wrote: »
    You can send it to me and thus give yourself reason to feel good...about yourself. The coolest gift of all!

Nah,
    Seriously: 1st thing before you do too much, make sure firmware is updated to 2.xxx - 1.2 sux.

Then make sure you install all apps on the 'mass memory', NOT the phone's memory! That'll make it run a lot better.

Other cool things?
    Cam's good imho. Musicplayer is alright. Browse the web. Keep spare change between screen and keyboard?
    What would you like to do? Lets start there?!!!!

what i would like to do. well i would like to use it to its full potential, when you say get all the apps, how do i go about downloading them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ovi store is one place to start. Launch the app from the applications menu on your phone. It will automatically recommend apps for the n97.

You might want to check out the other 2 N97 threads on the mobile forum, plenty of info their.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

You've got to put this on it

www.opera.com/mobile/next/

It's a top job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

www.getjar.com

Another handy site for phone software.

A couple of apps I use regularly are the YouTube app and Bolt (web browser). If you're using YouTube make sure you're on a good data plan or you'll have a heart attack when you get your bill. Or better yet connect it to your Wireless network if you have one nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

A lot of the apps that are available on S60 or iPhone are not the greatest, being honest...here are some of the ones I find useful.

I use 2 S60 phones, although neither is an N97, I think all the apps mentioned below ARE available for an N97.

Google Maps has an S60 version. A very useful feature of this is the ability to favorite a location. Then you have the GPS coordinates of it. If later you want to tell your friend where Blackpool Shopping Center is, just SMS it to him. He can then find it using his vehicle GPS or his own phone GPS.
    Saves all the "ya know where the statue is between the two houses..." kinda nonsense.

Facebook, if you use it, has an app for S60. It can be cheering seeing a post by a friend pop up on it.

Shazam, or equivalent, let's you ID songs by holding the phone up and sending a sample to online servers that identify it.

The Nokia Podcasting app is a great way to ensure you're never a prisoner of Pat Kenny, Gerry Ryan or Tom Dunne (or worse!) ever again if your job involves travelling between locations.

Windows Live Messenger is available, the real McCoy, for S60. My personal experince with other messenger apps was they seem to be a bit unreliable.

If you need such functionality (I do but many don't) QuickOffice, the paid for version, is great to work with MS Office documents by whipping your phone out of your pocket, no boot ups or any other hassle. Obviously, you wouldn't want to be doing much work on them, given the size of the device of course! May be useful.

LastPass for s60 will store not only your website favorites, but also your logon details. Never forget your password again!

The YouTube S60 client is a more efficient way of using that service than using a web browser on such a small screen.

The Google S60 client is available for one of my Nokias, but not the other.
    If there is such a thing for the N97, get that. It's brilliant, especially if you sign into google and keep web history etc.

Very convenient to look up what you were reading last night on your PC to refresh your memory.

Enjoy!

Advertisement