Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

translation needed

• 16-11-2009 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm looking for the translations of two sayings, my friend wants to get a tattoo with one of them. Thanks!

'What will be will be'
    'It is what it is'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Twilighter wrote: »
    I'm looking for the translations of two sayings, my friend wants to get a tattoo with one of them. Thanks!

'What will be will be'
    'It is what it is'
    As i always point out, if you translated these word for word they would lose their meaning so here's some more natural sayings that have similar meanings
    cibé rud a tharlóidh - come what may
    Níl sa saol ach gaoth agus toit - Life is just wind and smoke
    Sin an saol agat - that's life
    Ní thagann an óige faoi dhó choíche - you're only young once

Not really sure what "it is what it is" refers tto, If you give me a context I'll find something nice and Gaelach!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

Ceilteach wrote: »
    As i always point out, if you translated these word for word they would lose their meaning so here's some more natural sayings that have similar meanings
    cibé rud a tharlóidh - come what may
    Níl sa saol ach gaoth agus toit - Life is just wind and smoke
    Sin an saol agat - that's life
    Ní thagann an óige faoi dhó choíche - you're only young once

Not really sure what "it is what it is" refers tto, If you give me a context I'll find something nice and Gaelach!!

Yeah exactly, I asked people and they tried giving me direct translations which isn't what you'd want as a tattoo!

I'm not really sure of a context for 'it is what it is'. Just like that's it, you can't change anything. Like your path is set out for you. It's hard to explain.

You've given me loads though, thanks! If you can't get anything for the 2nd one, it's grand. :)

Also, what dialect of Irish are you using? I'm from Donegal you see, I'm sure it won't make that much of a difference will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Twilighter wrote: »
    Yeah exactly, I asked people and they tried giving me direct translations which isn't what you'd want as a tattoo!

I'm not really sure of a context for 'it is what it is'. Just like that's it, you can't change anything. Like your path is set out for you. It's hard to explain.

You've given me loads though, thanks! If you can't get anything for the 2nd one, it's grand. :)

Also, what dialect of Irish are you using? I'm from Donegal you see, I'm sure it won't make that much of a difference will it?

Sin mar atá an saol - such is life
    Don't worry about dialects, these are all pretty standard, there's nothing especially unique to any one area in them

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Sin mar atá an saol - such is life
    Don't worry about dialects, these are all pretty standard, there's nothing especially unique to any one area in them

Cool, thank you so much! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what about 's é mar atá

it is what it is. it'll need fine tuning i'm sure, but as ceilteach says, there are much nicer ways of saying it.

• Advertisement

That could work aswell, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Chomh cinnte lena athrach.

Advertisement