Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead 2 Launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So, its really like, 3 new campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I haven't run into a single bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

ffs taking hours to download!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fuck Steam. Had the game Pre-loaded. Turned on the machine, started steam. Steam downloads the little file tounlock L4D2 and now it's listed as uninstalled and I have to download everything again :/ It will be the weekend by the time it's done.

Exactly the same thing happened me.. bent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

koneko wrote: »
    I haven't run into a single bug.

I've ran into loads.

The agent AI is appallingly bad at times (not the same as the director, which is actually pretty good). I've had zombies run away from me to climb over an obstacle and then run back at me. One time i walk into a room, the Zombie climbs out the window, drops to the ground, runs around the house and back in the door to get at me. That's pathetic route planning.

There are loads of inconsistencies, like one armed zombies swinging with their missing arm and doing damage. One armed zombies climbing poles and frences with their missing arm, and in the most bizarre case i was actually attacked by a headless zombie earlier today.

There are also weird behaviours with some of the specials. Specifically I've seen a charger perform a 30 degree turn while charging to get inside a building and charge someone who wasn't visible from the doorway. On another occasion I was charger while on top of a truck. The charger hits the truck as you'd expect, but instead of him getting dazed he still manages to grab and pummel me into the ground.

Oh and the water simulations go bezerk if you're half in half out. Every second frame is rendered differently (i.e. one underwater the next over water) it's really irritating.

All relatively small things though that don't take away from the game much, but there's still a bit more than I expected. But the most disappointing aspect is much of the bugs from the demo don't appear to have been dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Have finished all the campaigns. Good fun.

Waiting to get some versus on now. Should be great.

Have noticed one bug, my friends and I, we're all playing with max graphics and a lot of times when we fought a tank there was noticeable frame drop.

swamps were fair fun. finale was very good. /sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Apart from Max doing weird things to a gnome, this game rocks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Gave it a quick blast after work. Quite enjoying it.
    Played Dead Center, Most of Dark Carnival (yes, I got owned by a tank and a spitter on the coaster) and the first half of Hard Rain.

(HR remind anyone of STALKER?)

I only played SP as I didn't want to make a total fool out of myself online, yet.
    Dead center is quite a large, and long campaign. It may only have 3 maps but they're big with lots of room for getting lost. Is there any dynamic pathing in it?
    A blast through it on Normal resulted in 2,200 dead Zombies, you'd be hitting around 1000 in a typial L4D1 campaign.

Oh and the Chainsaw is full of win.

• Advertisement

Versus in the shopping center is CRAZY.

Running a charger down an escalator that they are all running up is one of the classiest things I have seen in the game so far.

Except the charger along the apartment block ledge. Damn you Max. I hope you are happy with that achievment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The dual core bug is still there :( although apart from that I didn't encounter any other issues.

Noticed some weird Zombie AI stuff though. Like at the end of Swamp Fever, there where some Zombies trying to bash in a door, so I opened it, and instead of running through and attacking me, they ran around the back of the opened door and continued to try and break it down.

Graphically, I'd say it is a fair improvement. Swamp Fever in particular is an excellent looking Campaign. Haven't played all of them through to completion yet though.

Versus is going to take some getting used to, but I'd say it's more of a case of learning the levels and pinch points. It's definitely stopped camping though. You can't really stand still for more than a few seconds.

That was funny! I think it was me you got with the charger down the escalater.
    W
    hen i was on the wireless the game was unplayable if i turned or an infected came i couldnt even move the game stuttered so much. Thought it might have been my pc bt it was fine again when i plugged in the wire. Prob wont be able to play it that much now.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    When i was on the wireless the game was unplayable if i turned or an infected came i couldnt even move the game stuttered so much. Thought it might have been my pc bt it was fine again when i plugged in the wire. Prob wont be able to play it that much now.

Have you tried using this application? I know it helped my friend who games with a wireless connection.

http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=2&lang=en

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

After my initial annoyance with steam I managed to get a decent game in. Played the end of Swamp Fever and Dark Carnival the whole way through. I have to say I'm loving it at the moment. The new weapons are great and the new special infected do add a lot to it. It's amazing how something as simple as making the game more open can change it totally.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    That was funny! I think it was me you got with the charger down the escalater.
    W
    hen i was on the wireless the game was unplayable if i turned or an infected came i couldnt even move the game stuttered so much. Thought it might have been my pc bt it was fine again when i plugged in the wire. Prob wont be able to play it that much now.

I didnt do the charge, I think it was Neptune. I just watched the bowling pin effect while cheering loudly.

I forgot to mention, the storms during the return part of Hard Rain are awesome. It's a pity that the voice comm. effect will be bypassed by people using vent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Jumpy wrote: »
    Apart from Max doing weird things to a gnome, this game rocks.

He liked that gnome a little too much.
    I didnt do the charge, I think it was Neptune. I just watched the bowling pin effect while cheering loudly.

Actually I think it was azza.

All in all I'm loving this. The chainsaw and grenade launcher are excellently awesome and the regular new weapons are pretty cool. I really like the new pressure events that force you to work through the hordes instead of camping. It adds a lot to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Have you tried using this application? I know it helped my friend who games with a wireless connection.

http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=2&lang=en

That seemed to fix my occasional stuttering in games too. Thanks man, great find.

L31mr0d wrote: »

Ill try that tommorrow night thanks!

• Advertisement

whats better, the old auto shotty or the new combat shotty? I love the sound of the new one. But the old one is so familiar.

Ive had time to sleep on swamp fever and parts of it were frantic. Mud people will freak you out in places. Swamp Fever was what, 3 stages? No not as long as No Mercy, but it felt plenty worthwhile. And Scavenger mode is really neat - as is playing as a Charger.

Worth $45? Well, If I was a richer man, yes. Any word when L4D will be integrated into it?

I think the combat shotty is better at range while the Auto shotty does more damage at close range. I'm not entirely certain though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think the SPAS 12 has a higher fire rate. I tend to grab it over the M1014 auto shotty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 _si_

Dont think you need to cock the Spas after reloading from empty either

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the combat shotty is better at range while the Auto shotty does more damage at close range. I'm not entirely certain though.
    might be right.

i just keep remembering it for its ineffectiveness at defeating velociraptors

vg-jp.jpg

'Clever girl'

Overheal wrote: »
    vg-jp.jpg
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    'Clever girl'

First thing I thought of when I seen it also :D Would of been nice if one of the characters actually said that and also if you could use the shoulder brace.

Wow. They didn't find a way to manage to let you play the game with pubs yet.
    Tried two games of scavenger and I'm pretty sure some of my team mates were missing parts of their brains.

No zombie is safe from Chicago Stephen!

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Except the charger along the apartment block ledge. Damn you Max. I hope you are happy with that achievment.

I almost broke my microphone laughing.
    Creature wrote: »
    He liked that gnome a little too much.

What are you implying, Sir?

Advertisement