Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead 2 Launch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

We already know that Valve intend to continue supporting L4D1 even though L4D2 is now released . . .

L4D1 will more than likely receive at least one more DLC pack in my view. Oh and by the way . . . are people forgetting that L4D 1 has already received two free DLC updates? :confused::confused:

Did you even read the thread?

An immense amount of new content was promised that got turned into L4D2 instead of being released as "free" DLC. We don't "Know" Valve intend to support L4D1 since quite frankly they're lying eejits.

It doesn't matter how much of a good update L4D2 is. They still sold the original based on lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Sandvich wrote: »
    They still sold the original based on lies.
    They didn't though. As I asked and you conveniently ignored, how many sales do you think were related to any promises the developers made about content before release? Keeping in mind only a tiny percentage of gamers would view such interviews and an even smaller percentage would have had their decision to buy the game affected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Tbh L4D2 just makes the original look like a tech demo, it's what L4D should of been.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Stev_o wrote: »
    Tbh L4D2 just makes the original look like a tech demo, it's what L4D should of been.

You could say the same for Assassin's Creed II.

5uspect wrote: »
    You could say the same for Assassin's Creed II.

But i was never expecting UbiSoft to make a decent game so meh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sandvich wrote: »
    Did you even read the thread?

An immense amount of new content was promised that got turned into L4D2 instead of being released as "free" DLC. We don't "Know" Valve intend to support L4D1 since quite frankly they're lying eejits.

It doesn't matter how much of a good update L4D2 is. They still sold the original based on lies.

No promises were ever made - we were told that L4D would receive DLC updates after release, and it has with a great chance that it will receive further updates down the line. The content of the updates was never set it stone prior to the game being released. I wasnt too impressed when L4D2 was announced - but lets just get a little bit real here. Valve never promised that a L4D2 would not be developed.

On a more light hearted note, has anyone seen the little app that scans for those members of the L4D2 Steam Community boycott group that have actually purchased L4D2? It makes for very interesting results . . . .

On a more light hearted note, has anyone seen the little app that scans for those members of the L4D2 Steam Community boycott group that have actually purchased L4D2? It makes for very interesting results . . . .

Id imagine it's the same as those who boycotted MW2

modernwarfareboycott.jpg]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Seifer wrote: »
    Neither I think. If you want a specific difficulty then use the lobby / game finder.

Seems like it's basic info that should be included (as it was in the first game).

I'd like to be able to see how many people are currently in the game I'm about to join... along with what stage in the campaign they are at. Knowing the server's ping is nice as well (don't particularly want to hack myself a low ping workaround).

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If I could raise a technical topic: wtf is with Heavy Rain? Im not talking about the Stage recycling or anything im talking about the Rain. You need to have the Shader to Max and the only way Im able to do that is if I lower the resolution to a minimum. If you dont you hear a bunch of rain noises but no rain, and no fog. Talk about a buzzkill.

It bothered me about the Film Grain setting too - Surely both of these (weather and grain) should have been handled by the Effects value in the Video settings, which I have no problem maxing out (and Weather in TF2 runs just fine on hi res)

As for lag: first Saturday night since the game launched. wtf did you expect?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was wondering what the fuss about Hard Rain is was as well. It looks fairly basic on my crappy PC. Suppose this is another reminder to me that I need to upgrade and that I haven't the money to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Overheal wrote: »
    If I could raise a technical topic: wtf is with Heavy Rain? Im not talking about the Stage recycling or anything im talking about the Rain. You need to have the Shader to Max and the only way Im able to do that is if I lower the resolution to a minimum. If you dont you hear a bunch of rain noises but no rain, and no fog. Talk about a buzzkill.

It's purely a post processing effect afaik. It represents an additional pass on the GPU so you either have the capacity to run it or you don't.
    It bothered me about the Film Grain setting too - Surely both of these (weather and grain) should have been handled by the Effects value in the Video settings, which I have no problem maxing out (and Weather in TF2 runs just fine on hi res)

If you can't max them out as they are now, then you wouldn't be able to max them out if they were lumped in as effects.

Also, TF2 is a much much lighter game in terms of resources. The main component of that is the

Whatever the actual reason is, its completely foolhardy to embed the weather effects in a high end setting, especially when those particular weather effects are meant to be central to half that entire campaign. It should be included as some default or minimum setting not part of the shader program, which with or without rain and grain already eats up a lot of my resources. Youre pretty much ensuring half the people that play Hard Rain never see any actual rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Im quite liking L4D2 but tbh, i still prefer 1. It jsut had the whole freshness to it that 2 doesnt have. It also had better characters, and a better atmosphere on the whole. Also, it could be just that the 360 version looks crap compared to the PC (l4d1 on max settings looks 10 times better than l4d2 on 360) but the charger attacks and jockey attacks look like they use about 1 frame of animation, its all looks so fast and just, ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I have some performance issues when I play online. Framerate drops quite a bit but picks up rapidly, in much the same way Tomb Raider Anniversary did before they patched it. Let's hope they fix this soon.

Oh and there's a serious bug which causes the player to get stuck up against a piece of the environment when a Charger has pushed them there. Very annoying. I had to set off a pipe bomb to blow myself free in one instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

gona spend all xmas playing this like i did last year playing the first one :)

not going to bed for days finishing all the campaigns on expert, best xmas ever for gaming tbh

Desert rifle seems.... overpowered.

desertrifleanomaly.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Fnz wrote: »
    Desert rifle seems.... overpowered.

desertrifleanomaly.png

I assume you exploded some gas tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Jumpy wrote: »

Or had explosive ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Or maybe he just kicks ass! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

The stats have been going bonkers for the last few days, mine have been reset about 3 times, and at the moment my stats say I've played 1 game and survived 2 finales (200%).

A real pain tbh, wish Valve would sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The stats have been going bonkers for the last few days, mine have been reset about 3 times, and at the moment my stats say I've played 1 game and survived 2 finales (200%).

A real pain tbh, wish Valve would sort it out.
    Yeah, it's ridiculous that they haven't even acknowledged it yet.

Seifer wrote: »
    Yeah, it's ridiculous that they haven't even acknowledged it yet.
    When do they ever in fairness.
    Never. Unless they fix it... or enough whiney n00bs crash the Message Board server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I missed the original when it came out. Was it a great game and still worth taking a look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I missed the original when it came out. Was it a great game and still worth taking a look at?

I'm gonna buy the original myself, look up versus gameplay on youtube, it looks animal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Id say so myself. There will probably be some good deals on L4D1 coming up to the Christmas holidays.

Jumpy wrote: »
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    Or had explosive ammo.

Project Colossus is right; the stats are just weird and not something to be bothered with. I had definitely fired more than 15 rounds with the desert rifle.

The first game was a bit wonky too. Along with having the one achievement I gave a damn about, reset on me, I also got the Zombie Genocidest achievement for killing 53,595 infected. Stats claim I've killed but 40K infected. Whatever. So long as I'm not pegged as an undead sympathiser, I'll be happy. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Fnz wrote: »
    Project Colossus is right; the stats are just weird and not something to be bothered with. I had definitely fired more than 15 rounds with the desert rifle.

The first game was a bit wonky too. Along with having the one achievement I gave a damn about, reset on me, I also got the Zombie Genocidest achievement for killing 53,595 infected. Stats claim I've killed but 40K infected. Whatever. So long as I'm not pegged as an undead sympathiser, I'll be happy. :D

Undead sympathiser!!!

in other news I've reinstalled steam and fixed my crashes!

5uspect wrote: »
    Undead sympathiser!!!

BAH! Damn you Steam - I need those stats... STAT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The original, game of the year edition is here - to your door for less than 20 yoyos.

Advertisement