Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHD in Economics

Options
  • 16-11-2009 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I know this is a very general question as it can depend on the proposal of a topic, a supervisor, funding etc... but I was wondering what are the realistic academic requirements for being accepted into a PHD in economics/finance in any of the main Irish Colleges e.g UCD TCD NUIG NUIM UCC UL

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The usual us a first or high 2.1 honors degree. Nowadays with increased competition it will more than likely become the norm to have masters first. And I would say a 2.1 in that would also be necessary.
    But like you said, depends on a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The usual is a first or high 2.1 honors degree. Nowadays with increased competition it will more than likely become the norm to have masters first. And I would say a 2.1 in that would also be necessary.
    But like you said, depends on a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Speaking from UL's perspective, but not officially representing the place of course...

You would be expected to have a Masters Degree tbh. If you didn't you would begin a research masters, which after a review and expansion, could be changed to a PhD. At least a 2.1 degree, obviously a 1.1 is preferable.

Do you mind me asking what you hope to achieve? Particularly in business disciplines, a PhD sets a person up for a career in academia as opposed to private sector employment.

Advertisement