Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon:Xbox broken in packaging

Options
  • 17-11-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Ok i bought a xbox with 3 games off Amazon.I just got it today and 2 of the game boxes were cracked and the wrapping is off..
    I was wondering what do i do to get a swap on these defective goods?
    Do amazon refund me the price of posting the faulty good back to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The main question is: do they work alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Jev/N wrote: »
    The main question is: do they work alright?

Well put it this way,i was never intending to keep the games..this combined with the wrap being pealed off due to the crack means i cant give them to other people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Did you buy them from Amazon or did you buy them from a third party seller on Amazon? If you did buy them from Amazon themselves, then e-mail customer service. They are usually very about this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 etak

If you don't have success with Amazon, the European Consumer Centre may be able to help. www.ecic.ie. I just came across them last weekend and it looks like a great service and it is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As penexpers says, your first port of call should be Amazon Customer Service.

• Advertisement

"I acknowledge that a replacement order will be automatically created and shipped to me by clicking the button below and I am responsible for sending the original item(s) back to Amazon.com within 30 days to avoid being charged for both the replacement and the original."

Why do i have to pay extra money for posting goods back to them,when the good were damaged in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

That's the way consumer law currently is in Europe unfortunately. The point of sale would be deemed as there place of business so its up to you to have the goods presented there for refund of replacement(I.e. you pay return postage).

Some companies will pay this for you or provide a courier, but this is done at there discretion not a legal obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

hobochris wrote: »
    That's the way consumer law currently is in Europe unfortunately. The point of sale would be deemed as there place of business so its up to you to have the goods presented there for refund of replacement(I.e. you pay return postage).

Some companies will pay this for you or provide a courier, but this is done at there discretion not a legal obligation.

If it's a return due to change of mind, that is the case.
    But I'm fairly sure that if it's a return due to defective goods, the retailer is supposed to cover the postage under the distance sellings regs.
    Obviously, it makes sense for them to actually get the stuff back first - might be worth chasing them for a postage refund after you send the stuff back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

MOH wrote: »
    But I'm fairly sure that if it's a return due to defective goods, the retailer is supposed to cover the postage under the distance sellings regs.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works too, but I have never been able to find it in writing on any of the consumer websites.

There was a girl from the Eurpoean Consumer Centre on the radio last Christmas, and she said that the retailer is legally responsible for the cost of returns on a defective item, but I could never find where that's written down. The ECC also has no legal or statutory enforcement powers, they're purely informative. The NCA is the one with the powers, and the only one that can really tell you your rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Amazon will refund you on the postage/shipping costs of returning the defective item(s) but they can't do that until they've actually received the returned package and verified how much you paid for return postage.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Amazon will refund you on the postage/shipping costs of returning the defective item(s) but they can't do that until they've actually received the returned package and verified how much you paid for return postage.

It never said they would refund me my money..Plus how do they verify how much i paid?

Do i send it by registered post or normal post..

I dont want to be charged for these games again if they are mixed up in the post..it would set me back another 70e

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Fol20 wrote: »
    It never said they would refund me my money..Plus how do they verify how much i paid?

I dont want to be charged for these games again if they are mixed up in the post..it would set me back another 70e

You should send it by registered post and they probably will refund you the value of that postage, but perhaps you would be better off contacting amazon to find out for sure rather than asking randos on boards? If after you contact them you find out that they will not refund the full value of sending via registered post then the ultimate decision on how you send it yours. I would send it by registered post anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Fol20 wrote: »

I had cause to return two items of clothing the other week (wrong sizes). Now since it's my fault ordering wrong sizes, I don't get refunded the postage paid to return...however, had I returned them due to defect Amazon promise to refund shipping costs incurred by teh buyer.
    I can't show you this policy via a link because it only comes up on the accounts page on their returns centre; you need to go through the process of filling out the return/RMA form on your own order.
    I went through the process for a book I bought just to illustrate: here's the bit about refunding postage...
    Delivery Method for these Item(s):
    Self Return. Take package to post office or other mailing service. You will need to pay for return postage costs. Because your return is the result of an error on our part, estimated return delivery costs of up to £2.75 associated with your return will be refunded to you.

They probably have a fixed amount associated with each item type and amount of items...say £2 for each game or something (guess). Not sure how they reconcile extra postage costs for Irish customers. Perhaps email them and ask? They're quick to answer enquiries.

[edit]Just noticed this at the bottom of that returns page as well:
    If the amount you paid for Self Return is not clearly indicated on the return label, we cannot guarantee you will be reimbursed the exact amount you paid for return delivery.

Registered or normal is entirely up to you. I used registered, even though it was a big parcel. For the weight of two games I wouldn't risk it through normal post if only for the reason that you can't afford €70 for the replacements.

Advertisement