Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help needed chosing a new car

• 17-11-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hey guys,

First off my details, im 18 i will hopefully pass my driving test in a few weeks 1st attempt, im driving a '97 almera at the moment (lovely fecking car for €450) but tings are starting to go wrong with it and the nct is coming up in march.

now my question, i have around 3-4 grand saved for a new car and im prepared to blow it all! i need something for commuting to collage everyday, motorway driving, so im thinking a tdi bora... but thats also a bit boring for a 18 year old =P something sporty would be nice but there are lots of options out there...

so any opinions would be great guys!

(also, take into account i wont get insured on every car, so a 2ltr evo is not in the equation =P)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Start off by getting some insurance quotes for a range of cars from 1.0 to say 1.6, you'll be a lot wiser once you've done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ross b

anan,

Hi =] i already know what types of quotes i would get for such cars, what my intended question was which make/model would be most suitable for my needs. Also a further question, how do they work out insurance rates for 1.9 tdi cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

ross b wrote: »
    Also a further question, how do they work out insurance rates for 1.9 tdi cars?

In your case as an 18 year old, they think of a number, double it, multiply by a thousand and then dare you to find a better quote elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No advertising cars for sale here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

woops sorry.... just tryin to help out plus helpin myself too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No bothers - try www.adverts.ie - it's free there, and the OP can check there later too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

eoin wrote: »
    No bothers - try www.adverts.ie - it's free there, and the OP can check there later too.
    the insurance company will take the year of the car into account aswel,does your budget include your insurance? I passed my test and im 18 and for any 1.9 tdi it's 2100 off quinn,i also have quotes on 1.6 passats at 1800 and 1.8 mondeos at 1970,the only thing they're ripping me on is imports,i even chanced my arm at a 1.9 petrol BMW and they were insuring me,TBH i'd try for one of the old 97 or 98 316's or the 318 with a 1.6,one of my friends have one and so far no problems and he says they're easy on petrol when you want them to be.

Hope this helps.

Bonito wrote: »
    the insurance company will take the year of the car into account aswel,does your budget include your insurance? I passed my test and im 18 and for any 1.9 tdi it's 2100 off quinn,i also have quotes on 1.6 passats at 1800 and 1.8 mondeos at 1970,the only thing they're ripping me on is imports,i even chanced my arm at a 1.9 petrol BMW and they were insuring me,TBH i'd try for one of the old 97 or 98 316's or the 318 with a 1.6,one of my friends have one and so far no problems and he says they're easy on petrol when you want them to be.

Hope this helps.

most people will think these quotes are manic, but im paying 2500 with quinn on a 1.4 almera on provisional, Bonito thanks for these figures it gives me a round guesstimate for other 1.9 tdi's I'm thinking of a golf, td-red-i, my mate has one its great for the motorways, he says. priority is passing my test right now because i will get insurance on diddley-squat above my 1.4... Thanks again Bonito

Zube wrote: »
    In your case as an 18 year old, they think of a number, double it, multiply by a thousand and then dare you to find a better quote elsewhere.

Zube: ha ha in the case of Hibernian i would well believe it, they wanted 7 grand for insurance on my e450 almera... theoretically how many times could i write my car off for that price...

hmm... bump

• Advertisement

... so talking to a friend this evening he really persuaded me into getting a diesel. he talked a lot about VW and said that their engines are very reliable and economical, whilst giving enough power for motorway driving. He explained to me the VW group, (audi, VW, seat, skoda) and that all their cars use similar diesel engines. So based on this biased advice ^-^ I think im looking at a tdi. probably around a 2000-2002 depending on the pricings.

What i ask is; if there are any owners out there of such cars, would you kindly express your opinions on them, Pros and Cons =] thanks again =] It will help me chose a make and model =]

(im very bad at this decision thing... :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Have you rang your insurance company yet?

2500?? Jesus the c***s ripped me off then!!! i paid 2700 for my ****ty 1.1 206! I'll pick that bone with them next time im renewing!

nope but a friend of mine, 18, with similar details drives a 1.9tdi (red di) passat and hes insured for 2 grand under a full licence

2500?? Jesus the c***s ripped me off then!!! i paid 2700 for my ****ty 1.1 206! I'll pick that bone with them next time im renewing!
    Bonito, what company is that with?

And add in the tax for a 1.9 car,the maintenance costs also associated with that.
    Tbh,you'd be better off buying a fiesta and getting some NCD together

Bonito, what company is that with?
    same as you,Quinn,and they're rippin me on an almera if i got one next year,they wanna charge me near as much as if i got an MG-ZR next year (2100!!!!!) I'll have to ask them whats going on there,and that 2700 was with the online discount aswell!

jackncoke wrote: »
    And add in the tax for a 1.9 car,the maintenance costs also associated with that.
    if i pass my full test i will break even to what i am paying now as i will have one year no claims too. i pay maintenance on the almera too, it being an old car =P but thanks, its something to consider...

same as you,Quinn,and they're rippin me on an almera if i got one next year,they wanna charge me near as much as if i got an MG-ZR next year (2100!!!!!) I'll have to ask them whats going on there,and that 2700 was with the online discount aswell!
    do you have your own policy, im down under my mothers name, it was cheaper. And a mg-zr would be cool, but just watch that head gasket. look up mg-zr head gasket problems on google and see how many returns you get =P sorry if i burst your bubble. terrible quick car though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

+1,000,000

Work up some no claims bonus. You're going to wind up paying most of your budget on insurance and buying something that may not last you very long

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    +1,000,000

Work up some no claims bonus. You're going to wind up paying most of your budget on insurance and buying something that may not last you very long
    that would be the sensible option...but still a fiesta...even my gran doesn't drive one, and TBH insurance on my almera is high right now so if i can pay that i should be able to pay for a larger engine after my full test, according to a previous poster on pg1, he pulled some quotes for me (even a 1.6 BMW works out cheaper on insurance)

do you have your own policy, im down under my mothers name, it was cheaper. And a mg-zr would be cool, but just watch that head gasket. look up mg-zr head gasket problems on google and see how many returns you get =P sorry if i burst your bubble. terrible quick car though :P
    ahh no i wasnt getting one cause i know the problems they have,afraid ill have to burst your bubble now,because your under your mam's name on the almera and you'll be under your own name next year you wont have a no claims discount,you'll basically be startin from scratch,my policy only had me on it. Im lookin at a mondeo myself,i've a few bob to sit on so i can afford to invest in something that's gonna last me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

When I got my Golf TDI (exact same 'cept Bora has a boot) at 19 I was paying €1220 with Quinn, just to give you an idea. At 21 im now paying €860 on the same car with AXA.

i was nearly gonna buy this but its the same year as my current car,no point in buying it lol move up years not back,but insurance on it for me was only 1750 or sumtin

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/1.6-GTi-/200932194846111/advert?channel=CARS

touche! but im afrain i already inquired about it when taking out the policy and i get named driver discound which is like half a years no claims...the math said that was the best option at the time :P and i have a special maintainance grant for collage of x amount a year plus some saving from 2 years work so i have a few bob

When I got my Golf TDI (exact same 'cept Bora has a boot) at 19 I was paying €1220 with Quinn, just to give you an idea. At 21 im now paying €860 on the same car with AXA.
    sniper can i ask a technical question, what year was that golf? and was it tdi td(red i) or t(red di) you cant miss it, its printed on your boot and under the bonnet on the engine block.

i was nearly gonna buy this but its the same year as my current car,no point in buying it lol move up years not back,but insurance on it for me was only 1750 or sumtin

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/1.6-GTi-/200932194846111/advert?channel=CARS
    that looks...weird...i regarded 206's to be feminine cars TBH :P but that just looks odd i cant place it, and you would get insured that low even though it was a GTI?

type bolf into google and look at the images, i think it looks epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

sniper can i ask a technical question, what year was that golf? and was it tdi td(red i) or t(red di) you cant miss it, its printed on your boot and under the bonnet on the engine block.

00 base model which is 90bhp. no red di or any of that business!!:p

00 base model which is 90bhp. no red di or any of that business!!:p
    ah i see, id say it is a steep hill if you wanted a td(red i) its 100 hp or 115hp cant remember which but there is a big jump i know that. but thanks sniper, that is exactly the type of answer i was looking for. :P

• Advertisement

that looks...weird...i regarded 206's to be feminine cars TBH :P but that just looks odd i cant place it, and you would get insured that low even though it was a GTI?

type bolf into google and look at the images, i think it looks epic!
    but that's the beauty its not a gti its only a 1.6 with a full gti kit :) not sure whether its on the logbook or not if its after market,apparently kit car insurance is suppose to be cheaper than if your car has stock kits on it? It's all too confusin lol

but that's the beauty its not a gti its only a 1.6 with a full gti kit :) not sure whether its on the logbook or not if its after market,apparently kit car insurance is suppose to be cheaper than if your car has stock kits on it? It's all too confusin lol

1.6 206 weird...ha right ill belive you, still wouldn't drive it. jap or german for me please... :P im biased i know :P

1.6 206 weird...ha right ill belive you, still wouldn't drive it. jap or german for me please... :P im biased i know :P
    im never buyin peugeot again hahaha oh actually if u hav a few bob to spend have a look at toyota vitz rs,sometimes they call it a yaris sports or a vitz sports,but they're a 1.5 and they piss all over glanzas and civics :) only thing is they're imports so not sure what insurance will be like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

im never buyin peugeot again hahaha oh actually if u hav a few bob to spend have a look at toyota vitz rs,sometimes they call it a yaris sports or a vitz sports,but they're a 1.5 and they piss all over glanzas and civics :) only thing is they're imports so not sure what insurance will be like

Wow...just wow

Lads,would ye not just get a room...

Lads,would ye not just get a room...
    bit off the topic,no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah to be 18 and afford to blow 3-5k on a car and then another 2k plus on insurance and probably another 500 on tax.... possibly 7.5k sunk into a car at 18 years old is some going. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cson wrote: »
    Ah to be 18 and afford to blow 3-5k on a car and then another 2k plus on insurance and probably another 500 on tax.... possibly 7.5k sunk into a car at 18 years old is some going. :eek:
    The OP's financial affairs are his own business.

cson wrote: »

All thanks to my mum really so she got me out working at a young age (through school from 16 on). She doesn't believe on sitting on your arse for any extended period of time... thats the only reason i can afford it man.

Anyways as regards the car choice question i think i have settled on a golf tdi. so now i just watch the net carefully between now and march for a good advert is all. (also that may be a subtle hint to sellers, pm me if your selling and 00-02 models, anything will be considered)

Also topic is still open to discussion =]

bump.

• Advertisement
Advertisement