Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gouken - Not bad actually!

Options
  • 17-11-2009 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! I thought it would be cool to discuss Gouken who seems to be quite elusive in the fighting game scene. There isn't even a proper list of ranked players who use him.

I suppose that may be because the general opinion is that he's no good but I beg to differ. Sure, he doesn't have the SRK but he does have the HP HKN which is a great anti air option and if it were to whiff, his recovery time is pretty good.

He can beat a HKN war easily (IMO, his recovery is even quicker than Sagat's) and has to have the best mid screen move, Senkugoshoha, in the game to hit during the other players HKN or fireballs generally + super cancelling is there.

He is the only character who can throw into a super/ultra or a nasty EX Tatsu.

Parrying is there ofcourse (super cancelling possible in corner. His punches and kicks are really quick.

The only downfall perhaps to Ken/Ryu is that he can't juggle his ultra properly outside of the corner.

Brilliant mix up with absorb/throw/dive kick on the demon flip. Akuma has his demon flip options but all it takes is an SRK and his demon flip game is finished, Gouken can absorb an SRK and can easily punish with a damaging but simple combo (cr. HP, EX Sengoukousha into HP Sengoukousha (something like 400 damage points)

There is a reason why he's Ken's and Ryu's master and Akuma's adversary.

I'll be using him as my main for a while anyway :)

So can I have some love for the old fella? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I beat Terry 3-0 with him as Gouken and me as Dan.

Thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Hadouken -> Hadouken -> Hadouken -> Dash Punch -> Hadouken -> Hadouken and so on...

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

It was me you beat Retro, don't be shaming Terry's name (about this topic at least :pac:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gouken is... well, not bad. But not great.
    His Tatsu sucks, really -- screw it up and it's free Ultra for the opponent. So you really have to hit-confirm his combos.
    However, his mix-up game is quite decent. This video will show it better than I ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I beat Terry 3-0 with him as Gouken and me as Dan.

Thread closed.

Your memories are twisted! You must really hate me :pac:

Staying on topic, there's some great info here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This just makes me want to beat terry even more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Cheers Terry. Shame there isn't a lot of matchup info but at least the characters I hate are there :D

I think Gouken is perfect for the waiting game because he can seriously punish if used right. Rushdown not so much which I miss from using Gouki or Ryu. Still pondering though whether to use Gouken or Gouki for the tourney today :confused:

Oh and you'll never guess what happened last night. There is another Gief in the household :(

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Cheers Terry. Shame there isn't a lot of matchup info but at least the characters I hate are there :D

Have a look at the info for sagat, there's nothing!! Good luck today by the way. Is your bro playing gief now?!

Yeah, but he's still learning combos and getting used to the 360s and 720s. I don't know what exactly happened yesterday but he got 15 consecutive wins on me (him: Ryu, me: Gouken/Gouki for most of it). He just completely broke my play down, doing the perfect counter to every move I do, drove me up the wall!

On a side note, sorry if it seems silly that I call Akuma Gouki but I prefer the name Gouki over Akuma. Akuma just doesn't right :)

animaX wrote: »
    Have a look at the info for sagat, there's nothing!! Good luck today by the way. Is your bro playing gief now?!

Did I ever say I hate Sagat? I said he's gay but I never I hated him. I have respect for Muay Thai practitioners so people like Sagat, Bruce (Tekken) and Brad (VF5) are cool.

• Advertisement

Did I ever say I hate Sagat? I said he's gay but I never I hated him.

I never said you hated him!! I was just pointing out the lack of info here as opposed to goukens info. Not that sagat needs much info :pac:

Sagats tips:

fr HK, Ultra

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sagats tips:

fr HK, Ultra
    Tiger

Your post, I fixed it.

I've alot of time for Gouken, I really like how they took the shoto character and put a different twist on it (his "SRK" is nothing of the kind, same for his tatsu). He's fun but there's a couple of things which annoy me when I play him (timing is sooo tight on the HK, speshfully online.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

On a side note, sorry if it seems silly that I call Akuma Gouki but I prefer the name Gouki over Akuma. Akuma just doesn't right :)
    The devil takes many forms.
    9fa8a5eae2110f150b494e8d9f7a73f4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

@Kiki , wow never saw that one before lol.

RE Thread:

I like Gouken, I don't play as him at all though. I dunno, I'd play as gen before gouken I guess. I enjoying playing against goukens but I've never really come across an incredibly good gouken players so I'll usually just have a mess game with the guy an play my weaker characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Gouken:

Unarguably mid tier
    Good spacing game
    No wakeup game
    Decent enough pokes
    Can't start anything for big damage except for punishes

Pretty much my synopsis of the character

Advertisement