Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Help

• 17-11-2009 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have the "Nokia N70" mobile, I've had the same mobile since late 2007 and I think it's time for a change.

Over the last few months my N70 has been running slow and it freezes and the turns itself off and then I try and turn it on and it comes on and freezes for ages.

As stated previously I've had this phone since late 2007 and it's only this year that I've started having problems with it.

I did bring it into the shop I bought it and they said there was nothing they could do (fair enough since the guarantee is up). I could give it to them to send away for me, but it could cost me about €250 + transit costs.

Tbh, I honestly don't think it's worth it me spending that money and then being told it can't be repaired.

Would I be better off contacting Nokia directly and see what they say or just buy a new phone?

I have all the receipts etc from when I bought the phone still safe.

If I do get a new phone, I'd like one that has all (or most, at least) or the following features:

Camera
    Video (with audio) recording.
    Infared
    Radio
    MMS
    Internet and e-mail

And it must work on the Vodaphone network, cos I have an 087 number/sim-card and don't want to change numbers. I also don't want a big-ish phone, something slim would be nice.

My max budget for the phone is €200 euros (incl shipping).

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

-Orlaith- wrote: »

And it must work on the Vodaphone network, cos I have an 087 number/sim-card and don't want to change numbers.

you do know you can change networks and keep your current 087 number? That should give you greater choice of phones if you are prepared to go to another network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Chances are your phone's alright. If you reinstall the firmware and format whatever memory card you use, it may go back to normal... Like on an old PC when you reinstall windows... Just imagine how many messages and pics you have saved and deleted in 2 years. The phone's memory is full of bits of kunk after such a long time and the brains try to make sense of senseless itzy bitzies...that's why the lag and slowdowns and freezes...most likely, anyway. It could just be f*cked. Still, worth a try if only to sell it when you get a new phone.

And as the previous poster said: you CAN change network and keep your 087 number!

PS you really do need infrared? That could be a problem! Since very few px's and laptops have IR these days, few phones have it. It's now bluetooth and wifi...

As to the 250.00 for repair: wtf nonsense!?! Just go to an independent ph repair shop. They will unlock it and install a generic up to date firmware for 20-30 bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

IH77 wrote: »
    you do know you can change networks and keep your current 087 number? That should give you greater choice of phones if you are prepared to go to another network.
    I know I can have an 087 number on another netweork, but in the past I have been with Meteor and O2 and personally, I found both network's not great.

I found with them (O2 especially) that when I rang someone/someone rang me, the line would have "crackled" noises and with Meteor, their customer service wasn't great. I once rang them to ask a questions and I was told "not to phone again because they were busy" - so I changed to Vodaphone after that.

Since then I haven't gone anywhere near O2 or Meteor, and I never will.
    strecker wrote: »
    Chances are your phone's alright. If you reinstall the firmware and format whatever memory card you use, it may go back to normal... Like on an old PC when you reinstall windows... Just imagine how many messages and pics you have saved and deleted in 2 years. The phone's memory is full of bits of kunk after such a long time and the brains try to make sense of senseless itzy bitzies...that's why the lag and slowdowns and freezes...most likely, anyway. It could just be f*cked. Still, worth a try if only to sell it when you get a new phone.

And as the previous poster said: you CAN change network and keep your 087 number!
    I have absolutely no idea how to re-install firmware or format a memory card. I do know there is a program called "symatec" (or something similar) on the phone.
    strecker wrote: »
    PS you really do need infrared? That could be a problem! Since very few px's and laptops have IR these days, few phones have it. It's now bluetooth and wifi...

As to the 250.00 for repair: wtf nonsense!?! Just go to an independent ph repair shop. They will unlock it and install a generic up to date firmware for 20-30 bucks.
    No, I don't need infared, just sometimes, I send to between mine and my mum's phones and use infared to send stuff. I don't know if her phone has bluetooth.

Thank you, I had an idea the €250 was a nonsense charge, just some extra cash for the shop.

When you say "independent phone reapair shops" do you mean Vodaphone shops etc?

Cos the only independent phone shops in my town are:

Vodaphone
    Meteor
    Carphone Warehouse

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Sorry, I'm on my phone at the moment, and in a rush.
    If you google Nokia n70 pc suite, you should find the nokia pc suite for you computer. Software updater is part of that. After the suite is installed on your pc, connect phone and run the software updater. The programme shoulkd recognise your phone, and check for latest firmware. If there is no newer firmware, it'll give you the option to reinstall the fw! Nb, that'll wipe your phone. So before you do that go to your phone's menu,and in 'tool' find 'memory'. There you have the option to back up phone to memory card. After the firmware update you can restore phone from memory card.

Maybe you know someone with a Nokia who's gone through the process before?
    Or maybe you just buy a new phone????

• Advertisement
Advertisement