Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Deposits and social welfare.

Options
  • 17-11-2009 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Im moving into a rented accomadation with a friend and ive we have never had bord gais before, so was doing a little research online about setting up an account with them, there seems to be a deposit of 200 euro to set it up, but i was wondering if there are any concessions/way around it/delay without bad credit because were both unemployed at the moment and really cant afford it so close to christmas.....

help please :)

oh also...yay 5 weeks to christmas :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

is the gas on already? If so the deposit is put on your account and you wont have to pay it unitl january

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Whisper87

when we moved into our rented accom, we had the option of giving €200 and paying by dd or €400 and paying by the week when you get ur bill...

either way when you move out, bord gais refund you this deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Whisper87 wrote: »
    either way when you move out, bord gais refund you this deposit!

That doesn't really help the OP. You may not move out of a place for 2/3 years, and €200/€400 is a lot when money is tight.

As far as I know this is a relatively recent introduction, like the ESB it used to be a case that if you paid DD you didn't need to leave a deposit, but now it requires a cash deposit no matter the payment method.

OP if you try to wrangle Bord Gais customer care they may yield on this, though I don't believe they have any obligation or that there is any provision for SW recipients to sidestept this deposit. I got out of it by the fact that I had previously been a Bord Gais customer previously, and had paid bills fully for two years. BG hummed and hawed over this before finally seeming to accept this was an acceptable guarantee I would pay the bills in future, so I didn't pay the deposit.

Advertisement