Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords/Agents keeping deposits

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

When I lived in England, I never had a problem with my English landlords/landladies. In Ireland, I've had problems, big or small, with every single one.

Of course, I'm generalising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

i've just had a tenant move out told me the place was spotless. i am going to have to spend a day cleaning the place because i wouldnt move into it the way it is, i have already lost a months rent because she got a council house and we should have had 56 days notice but the council said 28 days is "enough". i register with the PRTB, pay my tax and 2nd home tax and still get shafted

sorry rant over, but tenants need to see that there are 2 sides to letting property , i'm also going to have to get builders in to meet new regs despite just having done a load of work on the place. (maybe i'm odd in keeping the place to a standard i would be prepared to live in).

and as far as withholding deposit i would give the tenant an itemised receipt of what was owing and return anything left over. its usually been rent and esb
    If your looking for sympathy over your business interests, you wont find it here.

A deposit in general is a lot harder to come by for a tenant who is simply looking for a place to live then a landlord who is making easy money.

i've just had a tenant move out told me the place was spotless. i am going to have to spend a day cleaning the place because i wouldnt move into it the way it is
    Did you hand back the deposit before discussing this?

monkeypants the deposit will be given back like i said one persons clean isnt necccesarily anothers
    I'm not accusing you of anything or disputing your story. I'm just noticing that in all cases, the keys or deposit are given back without both parties meeting and hammering out the details. It seems like a lot of hassle could be spared by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

tenants need to see that there are 2 sides to letting property , i'm also going to have to get builders in to meet new regs despite just having done a load of work on the place. (maybe i'm odd in keeping the place to a standard i would be prepared to live in).

/QUOTE]

Look, it's your decision if you want to rent out your home, so don't bother moaning about it here. It's not the tenant's decision to have their deposit held for some ridiculous reason and the problem is that there is no where fast and easy to dispute this.

It's happened to me too, landlord took money out of the deposit for professional cleaning and bar holding a camp out in our apartment there was nothing we could do as she was the one with the money (our money) in her possession.

It's absolute and utter villany, and to be honest I feel like if another landlord takes the p*ss with my money (MY money) again I will have to do something really malicious like wreck something which actually will be worth whatever the landlord keeps. ( I won't, it's just a fantasy I have of my vengeance).

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Kimia wrote: »
    Look, it's your decision if you want to rent out your home, so don't bother moaning about it here. It's not the tenant's decision to have their deposit held for some ridiculous reason and the problem is that there is no where fast and easy to dispute this.

Sorry you've had issues with landlords but this is a forum for accommodation and property which covers both landlords and those renting so both should be allowed to give their opinions. This thread is about landlords keeping deposits and landlords should be welcome to post here explaining reasons why they have kept part or all of a deposit.

And ednwireland is right there are two sides to each story, we've had enough threads on here from landlords getting screwed out of rent, having houses/flats left in a state, and being stuck with huge bills. It's the whole reason we have deposits cus sadly it's been proven alot of people can't be trusted. There are good landlords out there just like there are crap ones, same as there are good tenants and crap ones....lets not tar everyone in both groups with the same brush.

And for the record I'm not a landlord nor have I ever been one nor have plans to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

My experience is that everyone starts out with good intentions, and then has one bad experience, which hardens them up against the rest of humanity. A landlord has a nightmare with scruffbag tenants who leave the place in a wreck, and thereafter resolves to extract as much of subsequent deposits as he/she can, regardless of tenant. Or some young and innocent first-time renters take the lease at its word ("the deposit is to cover damage only, NOT general wear and tear") and inevitably get ripped off by an unscrupulous agent who claims 'professional cleaning' is required at the end of a tenancy - after that, it's all 'bastard landlords'.

My personal story involves moving out of a rented house in 2003, in which I and friends had been since 2001. For the last five months, we had had a lad in to take one of the rooms after the girl therein had moved out. With a month to go, one morning we get a note under our door telling us that the poor guy had died suddenly. Long story short, after all the kerfuffle of the guards, going down the country for his funeral (we felt awful for his family, especially as he'd only really just moved in), we met up with the landlady to finalise the keys & deposit. She took his last month's rent out of the deposit.

I know that she was strictly entitled to the rent according to the lease agreement, but it was a low-down dirty thing to do. The PRTB wasn't around then, and anyway we felt we'd afford the guy a bit more dignity rather than chasing a dead man's rent through small claims court.

if another landlord takes the p*ss with my money (MY money) again I will have to do something really malicious like wreck something which actually will be worth whatever the landlord keeps.
    I know someone who wasn't getting his deposit back, so he bought a load of cheap paint and chucked it round the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Oh god and I wonder why renting in this country can be hell.

In Belgium, deposits were frequently kept in escrow accounts with both signatures required to retrieve the money.

Wish that could be done here. It would sort out a lot of the deposit messing.

Advertisement