Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre Chains

• 17-11-2009 3:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

That time of year again and just planning ahead. i live fairly high up and if we get any show it normally lasts for a week or two after the main road and lower areas are completely clear.
    Has anyone ever used snow chains, they seem like they are easy enough to put on and take off, so they could be used just for the mile or so from my house to the main road. Anyone any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Theres lots of them for sale on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Yes, I sound like a broken record, but wouldnt it be a lot easier and much safer to fit Winter tyres and then take them off in spring? No stopping at the side of the road (one of the most dangerous things a driver can do) to get out and switch tyres and better performance in all conditions at this time of year.

You can then keep the Winters stored and pop then on next year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Senna wrote: »
    they seem like they are easy enough to put on and take off

"easy enough" is a matter of definition. Regular snow chains still take a few minutes on your knees, embracing a wet tyre and some driving back and forth to fit them ...not something you want to be doing four times a day.

If the snow is bad (deep!) enough that chains might be needed, there are other alternatives. Some traction aids have a hub that you fix on the wheel and just clip on the chains as and when needed

like this: anfahrhilfe_1a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yes, I sound like a broken record, but wouldnt it be a lot easier and much safer to fit Winter tyres and then take them off in spring? No stopping at the side of the road (one of the most dangerous things a driver can do) to get out and switch tyres and better performance in all conditions at this time of year.

You can then keep the Winters stored and pop then on next year too.

I've had snow tyres before, Goodyear SnowPro and trust me they make feck all difference going up a steep hill in a 2wd drive car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I've had snow tyres before, Goodyear SnowPro and trust me they make feck all difference going up a steep hill in a 2wd drive car.
    What country are you in ? I have never had snow chains on and I lived 10 years in Germany where a month or 6 weeks of snow and -20 or more are normal.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Snow tyres are the way to go, not chains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....a troll, surely ? Snow ? Have you looked out the window in the last 4 weeks ???

And, there is global warming, so the Green's can confirm it'll never ever snow again.........:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Depends where you live, i had to endure 2/3 weeks of bad snow and ice last winter, in which i had one accident (car.... meet ditch) and a couple of spins.
    (rear wheel drive car mind)

I do think snow chains are OTT though.
    Invest in a 4x4 if it affects you that much....even a Subaru of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think you miss understand the situation. I dont need the chains from driving on normal roads covered in snow, i had a MR2 for 2 years and never had a problem driving in snow with summer tyres on. I'm asking because the road up to my house is about a mile long, going up in elevation by about 200m and because of it elevation any snow fall results in compacted snow that lasts for days, there is very little traffic so the snow doesn't clear and of course no gritting by the council. Imagine a mountain road more suited to a jeep than a car.
    Anyway thanks for the reply's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

the wheel socks are much handier. we bring em when we go snowboarding every year, if you get snow regularly, no harm gettin a pair tbh. very handy- but ye cant do more than 50km/h on em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AWD will help getting up the hill, but it won't make the car any easier to stop on the way down.;) The ideal would be AWD and winter tyres, but failing that winter tyres would probably be best.

I think you miss understand the situation. I dont need the chains from driving on normal roads covered in snow, i had a MR2 for 2 years and never had a problem driving in snow with summer tyres on. I'm asking because the road up to my house is about a mile long, going up in elevation by about 200m and because of it elevation any snow fall results in compacted snow that lasts for days, there is very little traffic so the snow doesn't clear and of course no gritting by the council. Imagine a mountain road more suited to a jeep than a car.
    Anyway thanks for the reply's.

I can fully imagine such conditions and also how it gets worse after a few days thaw&freeze and skidding over it. It will eventually reach a point where it becomes so slippy that even winter tyres come to the limit ...especially downhill.

If I were you, I'd also be looking at chains or something like it.
    Cheapo snowchains with round links aren't great on ice btw as they tend to slip as well. You'd want the more expensive type with stronger and more profiled links. Those "socks" on the other hand are supposed to be quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

As said before a 4 wheel drive sounds like the best option in the long run. Or move down outa dem der mountains!

btw ...4WD isn't the be all and end all when it comes to traction.
    Yes, going uphill you mightn't get stuck ...but coming down you're no different than any other car as every car is 4WD on the brakes.
    (In fact, once the 4WD is sliding with four locked wheels it's harder to get out of the slide than a 2WD as you need to accelerate to get the wheels turning again ...somewhat counter-intuitive when you're sliding down a hill, heading for a wall :D)

Advertisement