Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridewell Jail

Options
  • 17-11-2009 4:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just saw that this is closing in a couple of weeks when the new courts place opens up and they are transferring the courts down there.

If you ever spent any time in there it would stay in your mind forever. I spent a night there for being a naughty boy not too long ago and it was like going back a 100 years. The main cells were big and there were just concrete slabs for benches at the sight and more concrete slabs drilled on the floor - they gave us a mattress each for the night to put on them. But the place was rank you could smell the piss and everything else.

When it was time for court they put us in this huge 'cage' thing with bars that you could see through as you waited to go up the steps to see the judge. Other lads came in from some Garda stations so it was pretty crazy in there. Even with the smoking ban the guards still let us smoke in there - you had to get a light from the guards through the bars as you weren't allowed lighters.

Then as the court went on anybody who was going to prison got brought back down. Not good meomories for me!!

Pretty historic that it is closing but I'm sure it won't be missed. Loads of people must have been there through the years though.

Advertisement