Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to make mates in Sydney

Options
  • 17-11-2009 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hey all, I just moved to Sydney after being in victoria for the past month, I came over here with my girlfriend but that "didnt work out" lets say, and so I moved up here to my uncles place, The problem is I dont know anyone around my own age ( 24 )

I live pretty close to the city center and was wondering is there anywhere good to go thats easy enough to meet people as I dont know anyone here and went out last friday for drinks ( by myself lol ) and only met a few irish girls on a whv that were leaving in a week. lol.

I'm just lookin to make some friends be them girls or blokes, so anyone have any idea's? cause just goin to the pub by myself all the time isnt really working anymore.

I was thinking about staying in a hostel in the city for a few nights just to meet people that way, does anyone think that would work?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

daauneal wrote: »
    I was thinking about staying in a hostel in the city for a few nights just to meet people that way, does anyone think that would work?

Id say it would work but dont tell anyone thats why your there because it might sound a bit odd. You can always go into the bars in the hostels though without staying there.

I have always found www.couchsurfing.org a good way of meeting people in Citys where I know no one. They always have nights out organized for people traveling and new to the city.

Id offer to meet up with you myself but Im down in Melbourne. Im sure someone on here will do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

What about joining a local GAA team ( If you play).
    that way you get to meet guys your age who can point you in the right direction.

http://www.clubgaa.ie/australia/

link to clubs there.
    Search in the NSW listing.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

daauneal wrote: »
    Hey all, I just moved to Sydney after being in victoria for the past month, I came over here with my girlfriend but that "didnt work out" lets say, and so I moved up here to my uncles place, The problem is I dont know anyone around my own age ( 24 )

I live pretty close to the city center and was wondering is there anywhere good to go thats easy enough to meet people as I dont know anyone here and went out last friday for drinks ( by myself lol ) and only met a few irish girls on a whv that were leaving in a week. lol.

I'm just lookin to make some friends be them girls or blokes, so anyone have any idea's? cause just goin to the pub by myself all the time isnt really working anymore.

Thanks for any help.

Get out of your uncles place ASAP and try move into a house with 4/5 people around your own age - that should be relatively easy to do.

Try sign up to one or two activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Share house, all the way. Best way to meet people, and also pretty good value in Sydney. You should get somewhere decent enough for not much more than 100 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Yep - agree with the lads. Hop on Gumtree and move in to a house share....also majority of the houseshares with the irish community happen out in the eastern subarbs (specifically bondi junction/bondi road) if you want to keep it local.

GAA is the best way I found to get to know people here, but it's off season at the moment, kicks back in in Jan if your interested in playing (Central Coast GAA club all the way :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

www.sydneyterraces.com
    i stayed there for 4 months. met loadsa ppl.
    its cheap too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dcuhead

I recently arrived in Sydeny too and am at a bit of a loose end. Maybe we could try organize a night out with other boards people living in Sydney.

I would also reccomend joining CouchSurfing, Ive been a member for 2 years and its GREAT for making friends in new cities.

Janet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

dcuhead wrote: »
    I recently arrived in Sydeny too and am at a bit of a loose end. Maybe we could try organize a night out with other boards people living in Sydney.

I would also reccomend joining CouchSurfing, Ive been a member for 2 years and its GREAT for making friends in new cities.

Janet

anyone want to join my 12 pubs of christmas pub crawl in sydney this year pm me for details, it is a good way of meeting a few people

or else Sydney beers I would join!
    Don't think we have had a Sydney beers yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

heading to oz in jan on my own. planning on kicking off in sydney and have to say its great to see theres so many others in my position. now i might actually make some frinnds!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dcuhead

12 pubs of xmas was AWESOME...thanks for organizing and SO glad I went along!!

Don't worry we shall have to organize more drinks again soon for those who didn't make it!

Janet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

www.sydneyterraces.com
    i stayed there for 4 months. met loadsa ppl.
    its cheap too!

id advise to give this a miss, visited a friend staying there before and in my opinion calling it a dive is being nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

IF could could swear on this site i would be loads by now!. I forgot all about boards.ie and it seems I missed the xmas drinks!!!. well next time anyones heading out in sydney then feel free to email me on
    smileybutdisfunctional@hotmail.com

( I have no prob giving out my email as its the one i use when theres a chance of loads of spam mail lol)

oh and just to update ive met a few people but they live out in newcastle lol.
    stayed in a hostel a few times also , which was great . only prob with that one is everyone you meet is leaving after about a week. haha
    Planning on moving out of the uncles in Jan to some random flat share .

have a good new year everyone.

Im heading out to the city myself in a few hours, If anyones online befoere then give me a mail and ill meet up with ya for nye drinks

Advertisement