Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Press - Pistol Appeals [read MOD NOTICE in post #6 before posting!]

Options
  • 17-11-2009 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Today's Irish Independent
    Marksman appeals refusal of gun licences

By Ralph Riegel
    Tuesday November 17 2009

AN award-winning marksman said a garda decision to refuse him licences for six high-powered competition handguns was like asking Padraig Harrington to tee off in the US Masters with a hurley.
    Patrick Herlihy -- a captain of Ireland's precision pistol team -- yesterday appealed to Cork District Court against the refusal by Garda Chief Superintendent Michael Finn to renew his firearms licences.
    The appeal is effectively a test case for hundreds of Irish gun owners who face losing handguns under Justice Minister Dermot Ahern's new crackdown on gun licences.
    The Firearms Act enacted last August effectively banned all handguns and short-barrelled weapons with the exception of Olympic competition .22 calibre guns.
    Mr Herlihy -- a respected businessman -- said yesterday he could not understand how gardai had no problem granting him licences for four years, but now suddenly regarded the weapons as a potential threat.
    Gardai stressed the licence refusals were not a personal reflection on Mr Herlihy, but the enforcement of new laws.
    Mr Herlihy told Judge Dave Riordan that all six guns were essential to enable him to compete in various EGRF/World Association 1500 precision pistol competitions.
    Judge Riordan directed that written submissions be made on Monday and he reserved judgment on the matter until November 30.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Best of luck to the man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Exelent this is after coming up a lot faster than I thought it would, hopefully the judge will see sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Hopefully we will all know where we stand by early December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Hopefully we will all know where we stand by early December.

Don't expect someone else's District Court appeal to have any bearing on another one unless it's to the same District Court Judge. The DC is not a court of record so each case will stand on its own merits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway:

EVERYONE: be very careful what you say and post in public on this (or any other) case.

We're all naturally consumed with curiosity and want to know how this and other upcoming cases are progressing, but we must constantly bear in mind that while they are before the courts ('sub judice'), we absolutely must not write or state anything in the public domain that might interfere with the due process of the case.

The mods here will very much err on the side of caution in this regard, so please don't be surprised to see threads on the subject being heavily pruned or edited.

/thread reopened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Terrier wrote: »

the word WEAPON crops up yet again SPORTING FIREARMS is the correct term for our equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

fingers crossed for him and his case .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Greenacre

The printed version of the report is a bit more detailed than the online version.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

weap·on (wpn)
    n.
    1. An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.
    2. Zoology A part or organ, such as a claw or stinger, used by an animal in attack or defense.
    3. A means used to defend against or defeat another: Logic was her weapon.
    tr.v. weap·oned, weap·on·ing, weap·ons
    To supply with weapons or a weapon; arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Best of luck Mr Herlihy, I hope you can convince the judge of your credentials and the caracter of your sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Best of luck Pat with your case.

Sikamick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I wish Patrick Herlihy and all those unfortunate enough to be placed in this postition the very best, and hope for the outcome you so rightly deserve.

[MOD NOTE]
    Post edited following thread split.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Lots of thread-drift split off into a new thread.

Carry on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Best of luck to pat!

I would have done it too if i had the funds:D but then again thats the issue here- the common man is at a financial disadvantage with our legal system being so prohibitively expensive.. and the fat cats in kildare street know this all too well...

Thank god that some shooters are business men too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Best of luck to pat!

I would have done it too if i had the funds:D

Were you refused a licence Ivan?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Best of luck to pat!

I would have done it too if i had the funds:D but then again thats the issue here- the common man is at a financial disadvantage with our legal system being so prohibitively expensive.. and the fat cats in kildare street know this all too well...

Thank god that some shooters are business men too!

Ivan - I can assure you that Pats action is only one of many. I have already taken similar steps and I have already put the wheels in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

We all have a licence for a FIREARM be it a rifle or shotgun and even a pistol.
    When i went to school a Weapon was something that could be used to hurt/kill an other person ie: a stolen car, bread knife, a rock, you get the idea, we use our firearms for target-hunting-sporting that is all.
    PS. i've two weapons my vote and a pen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hope it goes well for you Pat!
    This reminds me of a quote of Churchill

If you will not fight for when you can easily win without bloodshed;if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly;you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival.There may even be a worse case.You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory,because it is better to perish than live enslaved.

I pray that it will be for Pat, and ultimately for us all a situation of the first two instances. May justice and not politics prevail.
    BTW is anyone going to support him at the Court house??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Best of luck to Pat, fair play to you for going the distance and not letting them walk over our us.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

D-day today.
    Anyone on here know/in contact with Pat to get the result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 love to shoot

just heard he lost no details

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats bad news.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Its worse than bad news, its quite unbelievable. Beggars belief.

To keep in line with the Mods guidlines when posting, the Garda/Legal system seems to be a load of <snipped by DL :mad:>

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A loss in the DC isn't the end of the road. Next step would be a CC appeal, and the HC after that, you'd presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supermac

hi to all, just to update you all on today,s events at the district court in Cork, Mr. Pat Herlihy, senior, was unsuccessful in his bid to obtain his gun licences, as you can imagine this doesn,t bode well for the rest of us looking to pursue our target shooting hobby. We wish him the best of luck if he decides to appeal the decision at the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

My meeting with the CS was put off yet again until tomorrow night,he must be out celebrating:rolleyes:

Sparks wrote: »
    A loss in the DC isn't the end of the road. Next step would be a CC appeal, and the HC after that, you'd presume.

I think that whatever the outcome, appeal to the CC was always going to be the next step.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Gutted for him, absolutely gutted. If he pursues it to the next level i wish him all the best.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

I'm so sorry to hear that Mr P Herlihy Snr was unlucky today and that he knows that we're all behind him and hope he keeps on fighting for his pass time (target shooting)
    Regards T

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Sparks wrote: »

Thats going to cost.

I think a fund of some type would be good. As we all know its all of our interest for this to get its full day in court!

Advertisement