Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract renewal time, and I'm not sure if I want to renew.

• 17-11-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

First, apologies if I have posted in wrong area, feel free to move.

My contact with o2 is coming up for renewal, and I don't feel I'm getting the best bang for my buck.

My average bill comes in at €70. I'm on the clear 50 price plan, and have the text 200 and data pack bundles.

Now, for my needs.

I don't really ring people, I get 50 minutes with the clear 50 and rarely use the 50 a month. I get 350 texts, 50 with the clear 50, the 200 with the text 200 bundle, and 100 free because they screwed me when they changed me to this plan. I use probably half that, maybe more, maybe less.

I also need roaming, as being on the border.

Data bundle/downloading is a must at the moment, I fart about a lot on mobile boards.

A new (free) phone would be very nice, as the Sony k800i I have, while being a great phone, the stick is starting to go again, had it replaced under warrenty already, last year.

With the phone, I'd like bluetooth, camera, upgradeable memory, decent battery life, mobile internet, and thats about it really. No real interest in music or games, suppose it would be a nice extra, but not essential.

I'm flexible when it comes to switching, or even to pre pay, however, have to take into account herself gets free calls and texts to me at the moment.

Any suggestions, for phone/network/price plan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Vodafone have a comparable price plan - 50 + 50 for around €20 a month. You can get a 250 text add-on for €12/month.

The bonus with Vodafone is in your roaming charges. O2 are screwing you on roaming charges in the North - 52c per call out and 23c per call in :eek:

Vodafone on the other hand only charge you at standard rates (35c out, 0 in) in Northern Ireland, though your inclusive minutes don't cover any of these calls. If you make a lot of calls to NI you can get an internal add-on for another €13.

3 as far as I know also have similar roaming deals for the UK.

Can't recommend any specific phones, though the HTC touch is the "next big thing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

First of all I would ring o2 and tell them that your contract is almost up and what exactly your needs are how much you are paying and what is the best they can do. I always found them to be more then helpful.
    Then I would give VF and Meteor a ring to compare.
    A few years back I left O2 to go to Meteor and 2 weeks before my 1st year with Meteor was up o2 were back on to me and I got a package tailored to me plus 2 free phones (2 numbers on my bill).
    If you change your plan you get tied into a new contract and you may as well get a new phone while you are at it.
    I know at the mo I am using a Blackberry Storm 9500 (touch screen) and it is a cracker of a phone with the only down point being a poor battery life.I will be getting shot of it shortly simply because my bloody hands are too big for touch screens.I know there is a Storm 2 out which features wi-fi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've no need for the "NBT" I just fancy a phone that is functional, and looks a bit cool.

I've found o2 great in the last 7 years I'm with them. Trying to decide if the bill pay is worth it or not, and whether to switch to pre pay.

Phone wise, I'm thinking a Blackberry of some sorts, don't particularly want to shell out mega bucks on a phone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

What about bog standard PAYG Meteor? 20 quid a month for free meteor to meteor calls and txts, is your misses meteor? 12c a message there after and 99c for 50mb allowance of internet access per day.

Don't think PAYG Meteor is a runner, I know all of 2 people on Meteor, and reception can be a bit hit and miss around here.

Although the 99c for 50mb data is good value, the o2 data is €12.50 for 250mb a month.

Just been browsing the websites. Think I'll either flip to Vodafone, or stay with o2, and slash the text 200 down to text 100. But damn it, Vodafone have a better selection of phones. The HTC Tattoo looks "interesting."

I'll see if O2 will throw a blackberry my way, even if it is at a reduced price, then I may stay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

bcmf wrote: »
    A few years back I left O2 to go to Meteor and 2 weeks before my 1st year with Meteor was up o2 were back on to me and I got a package tailored to me plus 2 free phones (2 numbers on my bill).

That's pretty impressive by O2. They knew when you left and then at the next renewal time they called and tried to get your business. Shows they are organized anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I find VF cover the UK roaming angle best as for some reason I couldn't browse the web in the UK on 3 despite their 'like home' plan and also not at home if you were in one of their 'piggy back' areas.

O2 are too expensive for roaming in the UK but have the best handsets until Meteor got the Hero. Meteor would not be an option outside the main cities or for roaming.

With a data package, VF would suit best and maybe wait for the iPhone next year?

(I forgot to say that with VF you can top up a prepay account from your bill pay account (after being with them for 6 months), which we use as my wife is a low use pay as you go customer)

Thanks ashleey.

Yeah, I top up Her InDoor account from my bill as well, which is well handy.

Hmmm.

Damn it, contract is up on the 4th and I'm still no closer to deciding.

I'll see if O2 will throw a blackberry my way, even if it is at a reduced price, then I may stay.
    I will be more then likely getting shot of 2 Blackberry's in the near future.If interested give me a shout.

@Mods sorry!!!!

and it's called 'confusion marketing' whereby they all offer good deals but even a phd in maths won't help you get the ideal plan.

FYI I am on Perfect Choice 200 with 200 mins and 200 texts which can be used from Ireland at 60 euro a month. If I roam in the UK I pay the normal cost of 25c to make a call, free to receive and 11c to send a text. I have the 1gb ISP promo which they offer after a while, but you can sign up to the 500 mb data add on for 10 euro a month which with email and opera mini you'll never use. You get 200 free landline minutes or alternatively to other Vodafone phones.

They also gave me the international add on for free as part of some promotion so I can call abroad for free. As long as you use the VF live APN or ISP APN when abroad you only pay 99c per day for data up to 50mb (be careful about which APN otherwise it gets very expensive).

I end up spending around 70 to 80 euro a month and it is only high if I go outside Europe.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm on Vodafone Perfect Choice 50 (50 mins, 50 texts), plus a data add on.
    My bill is between €30 and €35 each month.

Aw damn, now I'm after looking at the HTC Hero, and it looks the biz. Stupid Meteor though. And at €389 PAYG, its a bit steep, but the Meteor Connect 20 @ €25 a month, unlimited Data @ €15 a month, and get 200 minutes and 200 any network texts is enticing. Phone is just €129 after that.

Intriguing.

Still no closer to deciding what I want though.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

You should have a look at 3, the flexi units in their bundles can be used for Data, texts or minutes so doesn't matter if you change usage from month to month but also if you are up North and connected to the 3 UK network you don't get charged roaming it just uses your bundle units.

Seeing as all the networks have sim options you should try any of them before you sign up to a 12 month contract

hickory wrote: »
    You should have a look at 3, the flexi units in their bundles can be used for Data, texts or minutes so doesn't matter if you change usage from month to month but also if you are up North and connected to the 3 UK network you don't get charged roaming it just uses your bundle units.

Seeing as all the networks have sim options you should try any of them before you sign up to a 12 month contract

particularly as you'll have difficulty data roaming with 3 and Meteor in certain places (including within Ireland).

I had discounted 3, based on their woeful support, but thinking about it, I don't call support a lot. I think I've spoken to O2 support maybe 7 times in the years I have been with them, and most of that was silly things, like a message getting caught in a loop, and not sending.

The 3 Flexi units is a damn good idea, the rest really should follow that for an idea, but no matter.

90 Minutes and 270 texts (standard) for €19 a month? Not too shabby!

However, not sure on their coverage, does anyone have a coverage map for them?

Hmm. The more time I spend thinking this over, the more options come up, and the further I am from making a decision.

I think I'll nip into Xtra-Vision this evening, and pick up a free sim, to try out the coverage on Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ €70 per month for a mobile phone

lol @ €70 per month for a mobile phone

Yeah...thanks for that. kthxbye.

Yeah...thanks for that. kthxbye.

but with no landline subscription it's not bad and you can add your missus's phone to the account. So it is effectively 70 euro all in for 2 phones and you could tether your phone to your laptop and use it for broadband if you are in the right coverage area.

With 3 and meteor, if you go outside the main towns you will be 'roaming' on another network and won't get anything other than calls and texts. However, if that suits your usage they are easily the cheapest.

Yeah, €70 is high, but thats an average, which includes credit for herself, a bit of roaming, and a few international calls.

Which is why I'm looking to get it down a bit. I've lately got it down to closer to €60.

Don't have a landline phone, but do have Broadband @ home, so using it as a mobile modem isn't necessary.

Thanks ashleey and hickory, you've been a big help.

Question though, if I had Meteor, and as you say, they piggyback on other networks, does that put the data packs out of the equation?

Can't comment on meteor but it is one of the reasons i gave up with 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yeah, €70 is high, but thats an average, which includes credit for herself, a bit of roaming, and a few international calls

What about getting a phone that can run skype for the international calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

Although the 99c for 50mb data is good value, the o2 data is €12.50 for 250mb a month.

nope. o2 is 99c up to 99kbs and then free up to 50mbs per day, 2c per kb after that.

or monthly data bundles, €7.30 inc vat for 250mbs or €15 for 1gb.

I had discounted 3, based on their woeful support, but thinking about it, I don't call support a lot. I think I've spoken to O2 support maybe 7 times in the years I have been with them, and most of that was silly things, like a message getting caught in a loop, and not sending.

The 3 Flexi units is a damn good idea, the rest really should follow that for an idea, but no matter.

90 Minutes and 270 texts (standard) for €19 a month? Not too shabby!

However, not sure on their coverage, does anyone have a coverage map for them?

Hmm. The more time I spend thinking this over, the more options come up, and the further I am from making a decision.

I think I'll nip into Xtra-Vision this evening, and pick up a free sim, to try out the coverage on Meteor.

you know on o2 they have an offer at the moment for a free extra? so what about o2 clear 350 with unlimited texts for €50inc vat? data bundle for €7.50 and if you missus is on O2 she could go with Experience plus which is free calls and texts to o2 for €20 per month.

(also if you live by the border ask customer care about cheaper uk roaming rates, but only if you live near the border i'm afraid)

also if your bills are at €70 per month and you got your phone over a yr ago you should be able to get an upgrade (check out Palm Pre, beautiful phone and cheap as is exclusive to O2).

guess where i work....:rolleyes:

missgwish wrote: »
    you know on o2 they have an offer at the moment for a free extra? so what about o2 clear 350 with unlimited texts for €50inc vat? data bundle for €7.50 and if you missus is on O2 she could go with Experience plus which is free calls and texts to o2 for €20 per month.

(also if you live by the border ask customer care about cheaper uk roaming rates, but only if you live near the border i'm afraid)

also if your bills are at €70 per month and you got your phone over a yr ago you should be able to get an upgrade (check out Palm Pre, beautiful phone and cheap as is exclusive to O2).

guess where i work....:rolleyes:

Thanks missgwish.

Looked at the Palm Pre, not too pushed on it to be honest. Don't like the tiny keys, and it feels toyish. However, it is a good phone.

I'm averaging 170 texts, so the unlimited texts is a bit overkill, and I was wrong on the data bundle price for o2, it is €7.50.

However, the Meteor pack I'm looking at is €25 a month, with 200 texts, 200 minutes, and a data bundle of unlimited usage for €14.99.

And the HTC Hero is really appealing to me now, and its €129 with that price plan.

Thanks missgwish.

Looked at the Palm Pre, not too pushed on it to be honest. Don't like the tiny keys, and it feels toyish. However, it is a good phone.

I'm averaging 170 texts, so the unlimited texts is a bit overkill, and I was wrong on the data bundle price for o2, it is €7.50.

However, the Meteor pack I'm looking at is €25 a month, with 200 texts, 200 minutes, and a data bundle of unlimited usage for €14.99.

And the HTC Hero is really appealing to me now, and its €129 with that price plan.

a fair point, that does sound very close to your usage. just to note that if your using the phone as a modem, the "unlimited" data usage is actually a fair usage of 10gbs!

I was warned off the Palm Pre by the worker in the O2 shop and I qoute "... we didnt think a phone could come with a battery worse then the i-phone but the Palm pre is worse". That and the buttons for little peoples hands ..........

Naw, not using it as a Modem, have BT (or Vodafone, as it is now) for that. Proper Unlimited D/L for that.

Have the Meteor sim in now, and coverage is sound, that was my main concern.

Have to do my calculations now. But I am being swayed! Huh, who knew I'd go to Meteor.

The thread was full of good suggestions. Don't forget to check out your roaming costs before you dive in. Then enjoy the savings.

Thanks ashleey.

Yeah, did check out the roaming in the shop. Free to receive calls, and 20c calls to Irish mobiles/landlines and 20c to UK landlines and 29c to UK mobiles, 13c texts, when on T Mobile.

Thats not bad.

Thanks to everyone for helping out. Still not completely decided.

• Advertisement

If I could get a 3g signal round here it would be a tough call between a VF iphone and a Meteor Hero. It seems strange that o2 price plans don't compete although their handsets have been superior until now.

Advertisement