Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice - tackiest show in town.

Options
  • 17-11-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this last night?
    I don't think in the history of television there has ever been a show with so many ads. First of all there's an ad break every 10 minutes. Then there's a plug from the sponsor at the beginning and end of the ad break. Then every single task is effectively some company (or several companies) plugging themselves.

Then at the end of the show, all the shows sponsors are advertised.

Incredible. Tacky and cringe inducing.

Goodbye.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

The Apprentice is and always has been one long promo for a particular product. It is then interspersed with adverts for products that where promo'ed on previous episodes.

That said last night's episode was just great watching. Hilarious, cringeworthy and poignant. A complete rollercoaster ride with the Breffmeister sitting right at the front :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Are you new to the way advertisements work?! :confused:

Although I'm not a fan of The Apprentice whatsoever.. so I've never witnessed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

The Apprentice rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yeah, it is a big long series of ads interspersed with a stern face competition.

Can you do you a good stern face when you are talking to other people in suits? Is this entertaining? Not for me it's not. Press the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

topper75 wrote: »
    Yeah, it is a big long series of ads interspersed with a stern face competition.

Can you do you a good stern face when you are talking to other people in suits? Is this entertaining? Not for me it's not. Press the remote.

Is their not some legislation limiting the number of ads?

I think tv3 have just found a way around it by using a huge amout of product placement. It's taking the mick though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Awful, just awful! And we are now getting to the business end of the programme with only five candidates left. It's embarrassing to see these so called business heads fumble around each week, you have to blame the producers of the programme for this, they selected them in the first place, mind you if they are the best candidates out of the two thousand or so that applied why does Bill Cullen bother!!

As for the ads,the only way around it is to record on sky+ if you have it and then fast forward through them. It's one of TV3's flagship shows with big viewing figures so you can't really blame them for milking it.

On the other hand it's good entertainment to see them try and bulls**t Bill in the boardroom.
    Roll on March when the real gaffer Alan Sugar is back on the box!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

zack01 wrote: »
    Roll on March when the real gaffer Alan Sugar is back on the box!:)

Alan isn't back until the Summer (after the elections, see earlier thread on this)

I think the candidates in the Irish Apprentice are probably all very good. Its the contrived conditions and the editing that makes them look like muppets (for our entertainment value).

And the special effects. Aoiffes eyes are really only half the size they are on screen, and Geraldine's eyebrows don't really go up that high. Steve's hair is still red, though. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Is their not some legislation limiting the number of ads?

I think tv3 have just found a way around it by using a huge amout of product placement. It's taking the mick though.

Yes there is rules around it, you need to send these guys an email.

http://www.bai.ie/

NB - The Apprentice was wrapped on the knuckles last year for one of its episodes (The flogging renaults debacle) but nothing more than a word in there ear, no punitive action :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

zack01 wrote: »

As for the ads,the only way around it is to record on sky+ if you have it and then fast forward through them. It's one of TV3's flagship shows with big viewing figures so you can't really blame them for milking it.
    Do you not realise the entire show itself is ads?
    Last night: Unilever, McCabes, Life, Several Gyms....

Another week they had supervalue and spar with tacky supervalue and spar notices at their tables. Another week, the entire show was meteor. Another week Diageo. Another time it was Samsung's new phone - a one hour long ad.

I mean - wake up people...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am not a huge fan of Product Placement which is what the OP is getting at. Oh and it is against the law but whats the point in laws, especially when they are about to change soon.

However I think when competing pharmacies and newsagents provide panels to the show I don't think you could call it advertising, I would hope that they didn't pay to be on the show since their competitors were also there.

As for advertising itself. TV3 are allowed more adverts than RTÉ and TG4 since they do not receive licence fee or exchequer funding.

The rules for sponsorship state that the sponsor can book end each ad break but should not be part of the show a title screen should appear after the sponsors promo, this is the same on all channels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement