Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TAX and my partner

• 17-11-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am self employed and have been for a number of years, I live with my girlfriend and have done for 20 years, I support her, she does not have a job and does not claim dole... it annoys me that the tax office will not take my girlfriend into consideration when I file my returns so I pay the tax as if I am single.. unfair :mad:

Is my girlfriend eligble for tax credits or something like that?, would it be better if I employed her in some way to reduce my tax each year?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

not being smart.. marry her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Back when the tax year started in April my parents tell me April was always the busiest month for marraiges, something to do with tax anyway.

This is going back a few decades now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

but why should you have to marry...... I might just let her sign on the dole :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a serious dichotomy in our system that Dept of Social Affairs assesses you as a family unit, while the Revenue does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

If you are self-employed, then why not pay her a wage? You would be able to claim back the PAYE/PRSI against your income tax, and she would also be able to build up an entitlement to the contributory pension (or whatever other PRSI entitlements you can get).

BTW, I'm not an accountant, and don't know if this is possible, but talk to your accountant about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Yes you can pay her a wage.
    You would need to be registered as an employer(if not already) and would have to file a P35.
    Her salary would be tax deductible in your accounts and she would be able to utilise her tax credits and lower rate band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Agree with Bookkeeper09. You can pay a wage.Would make more sense than not paying a wage.

Just remember you will have to file Montly P30's and a P35 annually.

Make sure to register as an employer (I think TR1 on revenue)

If you do go down this road, sage offer a free payroll software for 1-5 employees.

Iv never used it so i am certainly not giving a plug for it. Just it may be worth a try.

http://www.sage.ie/payroll/quickpay/quickpay_download.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Agree with Bookkeeper09. You can pay a wage.Would make more sense than not paying a wage.

With just a single employee, it would probably be quarterly P30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Rulmeq wrote: »
    With just a single employee, it would probably be quarterly P30s

Sorry, thats right. If your PAYE/PRSI liability will be under €30,000 (i think), you can file quarterly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Make sure to register as an employer (I think TR1 on revenue)

If you do go down this road, sage offer a free payroll software for 1-5 employees.

Iv never used it so i am certainly not giving a plug for it. Just it may be worth a try.

http://www.sage.ie/payroll/quickpay/quickpay_download.asp

thanks.. will look into this and probably fire my accountant, useless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mickbyrne

There no doubt that as your life partner she is probably doing a lot of work for you in your business, albeit not officially. It is on this basis that you should be paying her.
    Also the trips to the customers that she makes and subsequent trips to the bank to lodge your money would also qualify her for travel and subsistence allowances as long as the criteria set out by revenue is met.

To register as an employer as you are already self employed you need form Premreg. See link below
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/premreg.pdf

On the upside (or possibly downside) there is currently a ‘Civil Partnership Bill 2009’ going through the houses of government at present. This may mean that legal liabilities may be imposed on people in similar positions to yourself without realising it. Hopefully this may be the start of a change in the tax system to reflect how people live now. Marriage is still popular, but no longer the norm. Society needs to move on.
    p.s. – If you are looking for a not so useless accountant give me a shout.
    Regards,
    Michael
    www.perspective.ie

Advertisement