Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftovers

Options
  • 17-11-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

I have a fair size of roast beef left over that I do not want to go to waste. I was thinking of making a curry. Anyone any ideas on what to do and when i'm using it how to make it nice and soft and not tough from being in the fridge.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When I have leftover roast beef I make extra gravy, let it cool and slice the beef into it. I freeze it all in a ziploc bag, then when I defrost it I heat it in the oven for half an hour in a covered dish.
    It's even more tender and tasty than the day you first cooked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was in the same situation myself on Saturday. I deliberately bought an oversized joint & also roasted extra veg & a head of garlic.

On Sunday I sweated a finely diced onion, couple of celery sticks, carrots & a couple of diced potatoes in olive oil. I shredded most of the remaining beef, chopped up the leftover veg (carrots, parsnips & squash) & garlic & added this to the pot. Threw in a bay leaf & couple of sprigs of thyme. Then added the leftover gravy & topped it off with some fresh stock.

I let it simmer for a couple of hours & then roughly blended it. I served it with warm crusty bread.

The last of the beef I used on Monday to make a few sandwiches with liberal amounts of white pepper & worcester sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

make cottage pie yum i always make it out of leftover beef

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Make a shepherd's/cottage pie (it wouldn't be shepherd's pie cause it's not lamb and it wouldn't be cottage pie cause the beef is cooked but it would be very nice)

Cut up the meat and chop it (not too finely) in a food processor - or even better, if you have a grinder, grind it coarsely.
    Fry up an onion and some carrot in a pan- garlic if you want. Add ground/chopped meat and gravy from the roast.
    You can add any other veg (I like to use left over roast veg) - frozen sweetcorn/peas/broad beans - anything - chopped tomatoes.
    Taste.
    Add some Worcestershire sauce, some soy sauce, maybe some tomato purée (really, what ever you like to make it tasty)

Top with creamy mash and bake in a hot oven for about 40 mins.

Yumm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sandwiches?

• Advertisement
Advertisement